NGD Gibson Greeny Murphy aged

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Kurtis said:
    Lovely thing. The aging is very realistic.

I really like that Kirk has put his initials in it.

The amount of blues tossers who are upset at Hammett owning it is hilarious. I bet some of them own cars that by a similar metric they are not worthy to drive. I'd bet a shiny £1 that some of them even complained when Gary Moore got it!

I particularly like referring to the real deal as the Greeny/Moore/Hammett guitar. That upsets them even more. 

Kirk is out there playing it on the biggest stages. I think that is brilliant. It should be played.
    And for all the "he's crap" type comments - 99% of his gig is playing Hetfield rhythm parts, and the complainers cannot.
    Where are all the blues tossers? 
    Facebook, IG, Twitter etc etc 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1753
    Fantastic, enjoy 
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    Lewy said:

The amount of blues tossers who are upset at Hammett owning it is hilarious. I bet some of them own cars that by a similar metric they are not worthy to drive. I'd bet a shiny £1 that some of them even complained when Gary Moore got it!

I particularly like referring to the real deal as the Greeny/Moore/Hammett guitar. That upsets them even more. 

Kirk is out there playing it on the biggest stages. I think that is brilliant. It should be played.
    And for all the "he's crap" type comments - 99% of his gig is playing Hetfield rhythm parts, and the complainers cannot.
    I wish he’d scratched his initials on the front :)

Right next to the little switch that activates the fretboard LEDs?.... and the boost for the EMG pickups?
    Let’s go the whole hog and fit a Floyd.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4394
    RichAC said:
    Lewy said:

Right next to the little switch that activates the fretboard LEDs?.... and the boost for the EMG pickups?
    Too classy, Kahler.....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    When I listen back to Peter Green's tone on “Stop Messin’ Around”, especially the studio outtakes on the Blue Horizon box set, I really love how he gets that inbetween/out of phase setting to sound so fat and warm. Whenever I've heard the guitar played by others on that setting it sounds a bit thinner, more like you expect the out of phase sound to be.

Greeny knew how to get a good tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11145
    tFB Trader
    When I listen back to Peter Green's tone on “Stop Messin’ Around”, especially the studio outtakes on the Blue Horizon box set, I really love how he gets that inbetween/out of phase setting to sound so fat and warm. Whenever I've heard the guitar played by others on that setting it sounds a bit thinner, more like you expect the out of phase sound to be.

From a couple of people I've met that actually had connection with the recording of Peter Green's 'tone' they unanimously said he used absolutely insane amounts of volume in the studio. I suspect that is more than just a small part of his sound. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Ah yes, Kirk Hammett, of course.
    My first thought when I saw the "KH" was "I didn't know Gary Moore was into unicycling"
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217

What most people tend to oversee is that Green rarely had both pickups set at an equal volume. When one pickup is ever so slightly dominant, the out-of-phase effect gets reduced and the tone thickens. Try setting the neck pickup volume at 10 and the bridge at 9.5 or 9... :-)
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 61
    I was thinking that today listening to various cuts of stop messing around, a lot of variation in the out of phase tones he uses. 
    Emiel said:

What most people tend to oversee is that Green rarely had both pickups set at an equal volume. When one pickup is ever so slightly dominant, the out-of-phase effect gets reduced and the tone thickens. Try setting the neck pickup volume at 10 and the bridge at 9.5 or 9... :-)
    Agreed, I'll give it a go on my ‘Greeny 'burst’….oh damn, I don't own one. Bugger.

but yes it is a cool way to set a Les Paul, works a treat even without the out of phase pickups

From a couple of people I've met that actually had connection with the recording of Peter Green's 'tone' they unanimously said he used absolutely insane amounts of volume in the studio. I suspect that is more than just a small part of his sound. 
    Yeah, you do get a sense that he was playing at quite a volume on the Blue Horizon outtakes. His banter with Mike Vernon in the studio control room on some of the recordings is quite funny as well.

• MikePMikeP Frets: 61
    'Not bad, you can do bettah. '
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Lewy said:
    RichAC said:
    Lewy said:

Too classy, Kahler.....
    I like Kahlers! :D 

I had one on a full fat Japanese ESP Kerry King signature V.

I looked as classy as KK did........

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Lovely.

Sorry to derail - how do your CS guitars compare to your Bartlett? I shouldn’t, but keep looking at Retrospec models. I have a lovely M2M 58, but idiocy sometimes prevails… 
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 727
    Lovely.

Sorry to derail - how do your CS guitars compare to your Bartlett? I shouldn’t, but keep looking at Retrospec models. I have a lovely M2M 58, but idiocy sometimes prevails… 
    there is a very nice 59 replica for sale on reverb at the min. 

i have to say, the greeny one i have at the min might be the best i have owned. I would like to a/b hem again my older Bartlett's, but i no longer have it.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    Lovely.

there is a very nice 59 replica for sale on reverb at the min. 

i have to say, the greeny one i have at the min might be the best i have owned. I would like to a/b hem again my older Bartlett's, but i no longer have it.

Whilst I was lucky enough to play the Greenie LP (original oldie) - A few years later I acquired a Terry Morgan which was probably about as close to the Greenie that I've ever played - The mention of TM will often get you 2 years on a deserted island at best - I wouldn't say that Greenie was the best LP I've ever played - Probably more fair to say that it did not suit me but the buzz about actually spending 15 mins with it was like a kid visiting Disney world

Moving onto the Terry Morgan - Think I've played 2/3 before , so when I acquired the last one I was expecting some form of magic - It wasn't a poor guitar, but again it didn't excite me with regards to feel/playability - I sold it to a FB member, who I believe, likewise, had similar thoughts and re-sold it not to long after 

I think it is credit to various R9 replicas , be it the models like Greenie, the 'off' the peg models, M2M, Murphy Lab, or whatever from any age, that there are many fine examples out there - the difference is often more about which you prefer to play, as against better or worse - You can through various negatives at 59 Replicas from various ages, wrong top carve, wrong plastics, no Braz etc etc , but in the main most R9's are good guitars - search long and hard and you can find a very good example

I recall a story from a few years ago - 2 FB members and friends - both went to a shop to help one of them buy a R9 - The buyer was interested in a new R9 that he'd seen on the web site - But when he got there it did not float his boat - His mate, who was not in the market for any guitar that day, ended up buying it as he thought it possesses some magic - So one says yes and one says no - Sounds like Joe Walsh - Fancy getting rid of an original LP that did not turn you on - Yet Jimmy Page was knocked out with it - Preference is the key point - They might all be similar - But the finer detail is a matter of taste  

Original 59's are not the same, so replicas tend to follow suit
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    I thought KH stood for….Knob Head.. B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4394
    tone1 said:
    I thought KH stood for….Knob Head.. B)
    Oh, so it was there from the Fleetwood Mac days?