GAS and ageing.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 233
    edited March 10
    Try the guitar, Buy the guitar. If it's not what you want sell it and don't worry about the loss.

My folks are 77 and 76.

Dad still playing high level bridge, missed out on selection for Scotland this year. Walking to get the shopping every day, not because he has to buy other wise he though he would sit on his bum and do nothing after retirement. Mind still sharp. Physically fit-ish.

Mum watching telly, reading books, claiming she will do some gardening, exercise class for 2h a week. No other exercise other than walking up the stairs. Mind getting hazy, physically finding it hard to get in and out of cars and taxis.

If it means you are more likely to play guitar and keep your mind active, I'd suggest no time like the present.

I would be delighted if my mum got up, bought any physical things she wanted, regardless of cost size or anything, if it ment she kept her mental or physical health for an extra time whatsoever.

I would be delighted for either of them to spend the cash they have earned on a nice time/ thing. 

We are going on holiday with them this Easter and I am delighted   

My dad is 62 and treated us to a lovely conversation about how he wasn’t buying things anymore and was starting to sell because it’s not fair on us who will have to sell it when he’s dead.

I do understand his point of view.

I don’t. At 62 he could potentially another 40 or so years left. I know plenty of people well into their 70s who still regularly perform.

Hopefully he’ll be retired within five years, will have paid off any mortgage, and will have time on his hands. Buy nice stuff, go on holidays, do the things you want to do. Better this than selling stuff because you’re worried that the kids will have to tidy up after you

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    jdgm said:

But NO it's time to be SENSIBLE....
    I'm old now (70 in June) …
    What else are you going to do with your time and money? There’s plenty of time to be sensible after you’re dead. 

As for being almost 70 - some of us here are older than you.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited March 10
    DefaultM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    jdgm said:
    But I need to be getting shot of gear, not buying more, at my age.
    Genuine question - What has age got to do with whether you should or shouldn’t be buying stuff?
    My dad is 62 and treated us to a lovely conversation about how he wasn’t buying things anymore and was starting to sell because it’s not fair on us who will have to sell it when he’s dead.

This is sort of what I'm thinking...I've got lots of STUFF and I'd hate for my sisters or niece to be the ones to have to sell it all.  Also I don't get much income now plus my health has gone into reverse since Xmas 2022 and I can't lift a 2x12 combo like I used to....back probs, sciatica, I won't go on.  I could buy a newer car (or even a new bathroom suite?) for £2k I think. That's thinking maturely and sensibly.    :s

It's the lure of acquisition....innit?  Steve Robinson is right, the nut is still narrow but....I better go and try it anyway.

Many thanks to all for the replies!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    It’s cool! Get it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11145
    tFB Trader
    I see life as being about targets: if buying that guitar gets you to focus on a target - maybe learning a new style or bunch of new riffs, maybe pottering out to a jam session for some interaction with other musicians (always good, and you don't have to carry anything bar a guitar) - then it's had a positive effect in your life. 
    I grew up surrounded by bitter, depressed old people who threw up their hands and gave up when they passed retirement age, and I determined I'd never be one of those. Focus on what you can do not what you can't ... you have 70 years of smarts that youngsters don't have. I have 65 this year ... bollocks to growing old gracefully ... turn up and rock out.  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 863
    Philly_Q said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DefaultM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    jdgm said:
    But I need to be getting shot of gear, not buying more, at my age.
    Genuine question - What has age got to do with whether you should or shouldn’t be buying stuff?
    I do understand his point of view.
    I don’t. At 62 he could potentially another 40 or so years left. I know plenty of people well into their 70s who still regularly perform.
    Yeah, but people have different life experiences which affect their mindset on these things.

I'm still not saying the OP shouldn't buy this L6-S.
    I'm with @HAL9000, at 64 I don't generally think about my age and if I do, I think there is every possibility I could live to be 100... but who knows?

You (@jdgm) are coming up to 70, I say treat yourself, we are only here once. Send it back if you don't like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom