Solid vs semi-hollow recorded sound

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
As in Les Paul vs ES-339. They *feel* very different, they play different, etc. But today I have recorded some rhythms with both guitars (bridge pickup) and I simply cannot tell the difference in the recorded sound. In contrast, I have recorded the same parts with a PRS SE (hotter pickups, and using 10s instead of 9s) and the difference is like night and day. Worst of all, the pickups on the LP are uncovered, and the pickups on the ES are covered — surely that ought to impact the sound? 

Very confused. 
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1998
    Well remember all those Andertons videos with good friend of the Fretboard forum, cheeky Chappers and the Cap'n when he tried to tell the difference between low and high end guitars of the same type of guitar in a blind test and quite often got it hopelessly wrong. Well there you go. It's a law of diminishing returns as you go up in price. Were the specs close on the pickups in terms of coil resistance, wire type, magnet type etc. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    Devil#20 said:
    Well remember all those Andertons videos with good friend of the Fretboard forum, cheeky Chappers and the Cap'n when he tried to tell the difference between low and high end guitars of the same type of guitar in a blind test and quite often got it hopelessly wrong. Well there you go. It's a law of diminishing returns as you go up in price. Were the specs close on the pickups in terms of coil resistance, wire type, magnet type etc. 
    I thought he generally got it right tbh.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    Not comparing cheap vs expensive, but solid vs semi-hollow sound. All my guitars are cheap. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14782
    Yorkie said:
    All my guitars are cheap. 
    What about your amp, your microphone and/or D.I. box?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1217
    I used to have hours of recordings of me noodling about with ideas (until the hard disc went kaput and I lost the lot).

What always surprised me was that, unless I noted it down, I could rarely tell what guitar I'd used on any recording.

I might have a general idea if it was a Fender-ish or Gibson-esqe instrument, but once it went through some kind of amp, speaker & mic simulation they were often far closer than I'd have expected.

As your say, they often feel far more different than they sound. Maybe those with great ears can tell but my knackered, old lugs just can not. Oddly enough, it's not stopped me owning far too many guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 852
    Electric guitars do all tend to sound very similar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Yorkie said:
    All my guitars are cheap. 
    What about your amp, your microphone and/or D.I. box?
    DSL40C with a Creamback, SM57. Sound fantastic to me. And I can hear very obvious differences between the PRS and the others. But in theory the biggest difference should be between solid body/open coil humbuckers and semi/covered humbuckers? 

Basher said:
    What always surprised me was that, unless I noted it down, I could rarely tell what guitar I'd used on any recording.
    I had always pinned the blame on the grit, but the recording that originated this question was made with gain at 3 o’clock on the crunch channel. 

Just checked, the pickups on the PRS show a DC resistance 10% higher than the other two. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Yorkie said:

But in theory the biggest difference should be between solid body/open coil humbuckers and semi/covered humbuckers? 
    You may find that the differences coincidentally cancel each other out. All things being more or less equal I would expect the open-coil pickups to sound more ‘airy’ than the covered ones, but the semi-hollow body to do the same relative to the solid.

At the end of the day the differences are always far more noticeable to the player than the listener though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 863
    I always thought a 339 sounded much closer to a Les Paul than a 335.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    koss59 said:
    I always thought a 339 sounded much closer to a Les Paul than a 335.
    I have owned all 3.  That's definitely my experience.  The 339 was closer to the Les Paul.
    Well, I bought the 339 because I couldn't spot any difference in sound between that and a 335. So I went with the smaller one, which suited me better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 969
    Kurtis said:
    Electric guitars do all tend to sound very similar. 
    don't let the cork sniffers hear you say that  ;)
  • Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 132
    The Jazz guitar Youtuber Jens Larsen did a good video on this. He recorded himself playing on a strat, a 335 style and a vintage es175 with P90s (AKA the 'holy grail' jazz guitar). He then mixed up the audio and video - so in some videos he appeared to be playing a strat but actually the recording was of the es175.

The bottom line - when recorded they all sounded the same and no-one would be able to tell the difference.

Of course, to the player it does make a difference.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jazzy_JakeJazzy_Jake Frets: 132
    Pat Metheny also talks about fans claiming his 'tone was ruined' when he switched from his Gibson 175 to an Ibanez signature model. But, he had been using the Ibanez on recordings before he ever switched to it for live shows and no-one had noticed.

Guitarists and guitar music lovers are a funny bunch when it comes to what we believe about instruments!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 774
    You mean all those discussions on TGP about hearing the difference between what the nut is made of are a waste of time!!??
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    edited March 13 tFB Trader
    allen said:
    You mean all those discussions on TGP about hearing the difference between what the nut is made of are a waste of time!!??
    Those discussions are usually instigated by 'habitually solo instrumentalists' ... that is, ones who spend far too much time playing with themselves  ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    About hearing differences in the mix: have a listen to AC/DC - High Voltage (MY played a Les Paul) from the very first album, and then listen to anything else from them and from that era (Gretsch). The differences are obvious. 

I’ve mixed my tracks today and the differences between the PRS and the rest are still pretty obvious, albeit less pronounced. 

I’ll keep tweaking things until I get something more distinctive from the 339. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14782
    edited March 14
    Yorkie said:
    About hearing differences in the mix: have a listen to AC/DC - High Voltage (MY played a Les Paul) from the very first album, and then listen to anything else from them and from that era (Gretsch). The differences are obvious.  
    Were those recordings made using the same amp(s), through the same microphones, in the same studio? Any of those could explain the difference.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yorkie said:
    Were those recordings made using the same amp(s), through the same microphones, in the same studio? Any of those could explain the difference.
    In theory everything else was the same. All tracks were cut on different days. And all of them except High Voltage sound very similar. 

It is not 100% clear what actual guitar he used. Some interviews mention a Les Paul, some others mention a L-5. But it wasn’t a Gretsch.