SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: MIJ Open-Book Epiphone Les Paul (LPS-80) with hard case!

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
edited April 1 in Guitars £
Collection only from Walsall, please! It's all I can do right now.

I'm looking to make some major changes to my life after years of seriously struggling with my mental well-being. I mean, I still am struggling, but I feel like I have the strength at the moment to push through, get some sort of qualification, and make something of my life at the tender old age of 35.

So here it is, part 1 of a potential 2-3 part guitar selling spree trying to raise funds so I have a lil bit of capital before jumping in the deep end. Wish me luck!

Epiphone Japan Les Paul Standard LPS-80 /w hard case, strap locks - £650

I bought this from @Cirrus ;;; a little over a year back and, as great a guitar as it is, I just can't vibe with the expected slim 60s neck for too long at a time. The fit & finish is exceptional and I love the plain top look, and the low output pickups lend themselves really well to certain types of music, though they do sing when REALLY pushed hard.

Quoting a few tidbits good & bad from his review (with his consent):

"Set up by the Little Guitar shop in Birmingham. Frets have very little wear. I know it's a cliché, but this will go toe to toe with a good USA Gibson LP Standard in how well it's put together, the quality of wood used, the standard of binding etc. The stock bridge has been changed for a Faber which is solid as a rock - the guitar's very stable tuning-wise. It's also got Schaller S-Lock strap locks fitted.

Sale includes the original bridge and a Tour-Tech hard case from PMT.

A couple of knocks to mention - a small ding in the top corner of the headstock, and an area under the tail piece where some finish has cracked off - both shown in the photos. Other than that, a couple of small difficult to photo dents in the finish on the back.

I've taken a few guitars in to the Little Guitar Shop for work, this is the only one that had the owner calling another member of staff through to admire the quality of the craftsmanship.

Reasons to buy it: The setup - action, intonation, tuning stability, sustain etc are fantastic. The fretboard is a joy to play. It's set up with 11-52s. The build is excellent. When I took it to the Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham to get the Faber bridge fitted, the guy called his mate over to check out the binding - "If only Gibson could do it like that." The stock, crappy, pots, pickup switch and caps have been replaced with good quality ones.

Reasons to walk on by: Relatively heavy - around 10lbs, so far from a boat anchor, but definitely not a light instrument. Kind of tail heavy, too - if you balance it on your right leg sat down, it'll fall to the right if you don't hold the neck. The stock pickups are probably not going to be your cup of tea; low output and a little muffled. They've got loads of character with distortion, kinda Klon-like midrange roar on the bridge pickup*, but if I were keeping it I'd definitely have kept my T-Top clones in it, because they're a bit flat clean."

And now, pictures!

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited March 23
    Temporarily withdrawn. I'm still super undecided on this one, since there's a hell of a lot of sentimentality involved...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Open to offers but absolutely no trades.

Thanks for looking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    That’s rather lovely!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    That’s rather lovely!
    agreed! I had no idea there was an epiphone Japan. If this is Ibanez, FGN, Fender Japan quality with a Gibson headstock shape and those looks that’s quite a steal. 
    pt22 said:
    That’s rather lovely!
    agreed! I had no idea there was an epiphone Japan. If this is Ibanez, FGN, Fender Japan quality with a Gibson headstock shape and those looks that’s quite a steal. 

According to my research, it should be made in the Fuji-Gen factory. With the S/N 009709 it should be...

Year(200):0
    Month: 09
    Production #: 709

I can't remember where I got the screenshot from, but yeah. It's a superly well built instrument as you'd expect from a well revered Japanese builder.

There was also a lovely SG on here last year with similar appointments. I think they're a bit of a sleeper series. You're definitely getting more value out of this than you would be a new Epiphone, of that there is no doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mudz73Mudz73 Frets: 5
    Beauty! Plain top & the best colour in my opinion!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    It genuinely pains me I still can't quite justify this. GLWTS  :)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That's a lovely guitar glwts
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    On hold for @uksaint7 until Apr 1st =)
    And sold. Lovely guy, quick & painless deal.

Thanks!