Starting running for the very unfit

What's Hot

Comments

• westfordwestford Frets: 581
    I’d start with walking. I’m into my third year of #walk1000miles. I had thought about doing c25k, but I like walking with my dog and don’t really like running so I still haven’t. 

Look at https://www.walk1000miles.co.uk/ if you’re interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    All the plans you'll find will be variations on the C25k theme - run/walk intervals. It's because it works.

@relic245 is right, if you find week 1 of C25k too hard, then trim that down to something you can manage. Also you might be trying to run too fast, when I started I only knew how to sprint! Just slow things right down until you get a feel for your threshold.

Also, if you're going to be running you'll want to get some running shoes. Doesn't have to Alphaflys right now, just something with cushioning to protect your joints. You will hurt whatever you do to begin with, but it will be just strength-building.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 711
    Echo what others have said about starting gently,  walking and then,  if you wanted,  add some weight to a pack to increase the effort of a walk (*rucking).

When you do start to introduce running,  make the running bits really short to start with.  Mark Lewis (*great and humorous YouTube channel) started by walking to a lamppost,  jogging to the next,  then walkingetc,  until he could jog for 2 lampposts distance...

And jog slowly,  really slowly,  most people start trying to run going way too fast.  You want to build up your aerobic base so should be going slowly enough to maintain a conversation.  This will be almost,  or actually walking, pace initially but will get quicker as your aerobic system fitness improves (*zone 2 or low heart rate training). You can introduce faster/ harder sessions as your fitness increases,  but the fast/ hard stuff should only ever be about 20% of your overall running volume. 

Good luck and enjoy the journey,  don't beat yourself up if you're slow,  running slowly is the fastest way to being able to run fast and or long distances. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Bidley said:
    All the plans you'll find will be variations on the C25k theme - run/walk intervals. It's because it works.

@relic245 is right, if you find week 1 of C25k too hard, then trim that down to something you can manage. Also you might be trying to run too fast, when I started I only knew how to sprint! Just slow things right down until you get a feel for your threshold.

I found the most difficult thing was pacing and breathing. I had expected it to be muscle fatigue or joint issues but I’d just get out of breath very quickly and have to stop, my legs were still good for a long walk after if I wanted. Eventually it clicks in and I wasn’t gasping for breath and I could jog the whole distance. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    edited March 24
    2 ideas:

1. You could

Just walk normally for 5 mins.
    Then increase pace and/or incline such that you can feel it is more effort but you could still carry on a conversation. You might be walking, you might be jogging. It doesn't matter which. Do that for 15-20 mins.
    Walk normally for 5 mins.

Do that 3 times a week.

After a few weeks re-try Couch to 5k (you.can download mp3s just of audio instructions of when to walk/jog - no app faff needed - but some headphone faff). 
    If its still too much go back to the first bit for a bit longer, or just repeat C25k week 1 as many times as needed until its doable. 

Or 

2. (This one might make you feel self-consciously feeble - it did me - but it's clinically proven to help those starting from a very low base, for obvious reasons) ...

Look up the Cardiac Rehab routines (they are on Youtube) that the NHS and British Heart Foundation use (I'll dig out link later if you've not found it). These are used in fitness/rehab sessions post heart surgery with people who are usually weak and often old. 

They start as seated sessions. Despite this when I first did them they made me out of breath. They also made me me feel really self conscious doing them in a group setting cos they reminded me of scenes set in old people's homes and I was in my late 40s!)

They progress to standing and incorporating weight (use a bottle of water or a tiny dumbbell if you have it)

If you're starting from a REALLY low base, I can't think of a more appropriate thing than this - it's created for people with very low cardio vascular function.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    TimmyO said:
    2 ideas:

1. You could

Then increase pace and/or incline such that you can feel it is more effort but you could still carry on a conversation. You might be walking, you might be jogging. It doesn't matter which. Do that for 15-20 mins.

Do that 3 times a week.

After a few weeks re-try Couch to 5k (you.can download mp3s just of audio instructions of when to walk/jog - no app faff needed - but some headphone faff). 
    If its still too much go back to the first bit for a bit longer, or just repeat C25k week 1 as many times as needed until its doable. 

Or 

2. (This one might make you feel self-consciously feeble - it did me - but it's clinically proven to help those starting from a very low base, for obvious reasons) ...

Look up the Cardiac Rehab routines (they are on Youtube) that the NHS and British Heart Foundation use (I'll dig out link later if you've not found it). These are used in fitness/rehab sessions post heart surgery with people who are usually weak and often old. 

They start as seated sessions. Despite this when I first did them they made me out of breath. They also made me me feel really self conscious doing them in a group setting cos they reminded me of scenes set in old people's homes and I was in my late 40s!)

They progress to standing and incorporating weight (use a bottle of water or a tiny dumbbell if you have it)

If you're starting from a REALLY low base, I can't think of a more appropriate thing than this - it's created for people with very low cardio vascular function.
    You're going to be put off by so many things about this, but this is the level 1 video of it. There are (I think) 5. 

https://youtu.be/-JsuNKbAAkU?si=0bsLZ7E1ouAKxYld

Red ones are better. 
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1002
    Start by brisk walking several times per week, for a good few months, and include some hills if you want to work up a sweat.

Running is high impact on your joints, so walking will 'prepare' your joints and build the required muscles you need for running. Otherwise you will just injure yourself if you start running straight away in my opinion.  

Don't judge your fitness by how much weight you are losing. So long as you're outside, breathing fresh air in natural surroundings, getting the blood pumping around your body by walking. You might not be able to see it in the mirror, but it is doing you good 'on the inside'. Then there's the mental health side of it too. If you're clueless about wildlife then get yourself a couple of books on the subject, and start appreciating that shit whilst you're out there. You'll enjoy your walking a lot better if you can identify birds, trees, plants etc (in my opinion). Spring is a great time of year to get into it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'll echo the comments on diet, as its important to your progress. You won't be able to eat shit and train well and expect them to even out. 

I started training at my local gym almost 5 years now and made a few adjustments to my diet, cutting out processed foods, sugars and alot of starchy/carby foods. Mostly I stick to white meats, chicken/turkey, and fish. I'll go for wholemeal rice/pasta and lots of vegetables. I mainly drink water now, occasionally I'll have a drink on the weekend about once per month. I've cut out fizzy drinks/chocolate. I only snack on cashew nuts and low sugar protein bars.

For the actual running it took me a while to get used to it, I do use the treadmill in the gym, but I do HIIT training so 20 seconds jog then 40 sec sprint. After time I found I wasn't taking as long to get my breath back and could actually have a bit of a conversation whilst resting!

Walks are good too, especially when its nice out. If its shitty and rainy it can affect your motivation.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    We managed to get a couch for less than 5k. Two of them, in fact.
    Just sayin'
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited March 24
    Walk/run as others have said.

No need to over complicate or over think.
    Get out and walk for a bit, run for a bit. Start with 20 mins 3 times a week.
    Make it a habit.

Recommend before breakfast if you can get up early so it's not hanging over you.
    But whatever works...

Good luck.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I’ve done the couch to 5k twice, whilst it works (for me) I found it tedious and I don’t feel fitter or lost weight on it.

To make it work I had to be really disciplined and run at least 3 times a week.  Or the hard work disappears and makes the next run harder.  It depends what your starting weight is, it is quite hard on your joints so good running shoes is a must or you can end up hurting yourself.  Pick a good path to run, avoid running down hill as that’s bad for the knees. 

I would start walking 5k daily, which is only about 90mins.  I find that much easier to do since I can do that wearing jeans and a coat in the winter.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 150
    I’ve not got much to add as others have said it perfectly. Particularly with regards to walking. I can only report on the benefit of a daily walk I’ve found. I’ve really struggled with my weight and fitness as a result of (probably) a form of food/eating disorder/addiction and although I’ve managed to lose 7 stone from my heaviest I’ve still a way to go. 25 years ago I used to run 6 miles a day and love it, so I do understand the desire to get running-I’d love to be able to do it again at some point. However, I actually ended up struggling to walk a full mile without having to stop frequently due to severe lower back pain. This was my first Everest. Getting to the end of the village without having to stop, not from my fitness actually but due to the pain. As I lost some weight I managed to add the walk back and have since made this my standard daily walk. It is a few hundred over 5k steps and helps keep me going when I’m particularly struggling with food. It takes me 40mins or so and is wonderful for my mental health, gives me chance to listen to a bit of music/audiobook and I’ve found the general fitness level it gives really beneficial. My resting heart rate has dropped into the high 50’s and I feel so much worse if I miss a day or two. 
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    Iamnobody said:
    ..... 4 pints is unlikely to get most people pissed....
    4 pints and i'm rat-arsed... but, i'm a wuss.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24345
    TimmyO said:
    2 ideas:

1. You could

Do that 3 times a week.

Or 

Yeah, I went through all the phases of cardiac rehab after my heart attack - in my late 40's too!

I had a few moments where I was taken aside because I was going grey (skinned, not hair!) to recover but I ended up going to the gym twice a week (rehab programme again) and got fairly fit.  Unfortunately, ten years and many pies later I'm fatter and need to set up base camp halfway up the stairs.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1232
    Just walk. Dont wear your knees out and you have had ticker trouble. Walking is best exercise there is. Whats the rush? With running you will miss all the lovely scenery and have to dress up like a marathon runner/cyclist and wear pink flourescent leggins. If you manage to get to good distances, aka 5k+ then you will come back home after a run, with your nads and feet smelling like a harvester cheeseboard.

When i lived in richmond london late 90s early 2000s, there was a running and drinking club. Pub crawl meets joggers. If running is a must, maybe give that a go. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7273
    The warehouse where I work is 1/4 mile long.  It's not unusual for me to be up and down the yard and the full length of the warehouse about 10 times a night, i.e. 10 x double journeys of 1/2 mile = 5 miles of brisk walking that makes me breathe pretty hard and I can feel the exercise on my legs.  Combined with all the other walking within the warehouse on any given night, which is by no means sauntering, I probably walk about 6 miles a night.  During very busy periods it could easily be 7 or 8 miles.  If I wasn't doing this I would be putting on lots of excess weight as I eat quite heartily.  If I was going up and down stairs at work I'm sure I would be a lot thinner and more healthy.  You don't need fancy gyms, structured charts or apps, or fancy clothing that make you look like a MAMIL to start getting fit.  Just start using stairs instead of elevators or escalators and walk briskly a lot more.  You said you have a treadmill.  Put on some rock music and get walking to the beat while singing.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Don't overthink it, just get up and move until you are fucked, next time try a bit further.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    One thing I'd like to highlight is that running will:
    • Give you more energy
    • Make you less likely to get ill and be ill for less time when you are
    • Be at lower risk of various nasties like cancer and diabetes 
    • Improve your mood equivalent to taking anti depressents
    • Increase your bone density
    But it won't make you lose weight (it might actually make you put on weight) and if you are heavy you will want to get to a decent weight or you will get injured a lot.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    "I want to start a journey that will eventually get me fit enough to run for half an hour"

this is C25K ! 

If you can't be arsed to shuffle along slightly faster than walking pace for 60 seconds then you really aren't interested in starting any sort of journey. 
    =) 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    snowblind said:
    Depending on your age I would suggest you try rowing instead of running. Less impact on the joints and a good overall workout. I will say that sitting on an erg for any length of time is as boring as ^%^^$&% but it does work. Get yourself a playlist (I have a set of 5-10 minute songs - Motorhead overkill for example) to get you in the right frame of mind.
    Immigrant Song is great for rowing I find. You can pretend you're a viking overlord pulsing your way through the crashing waves in search of your next conquest.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!