Mountain bike people, a question or two?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3693
    For the bike have you got - or can you improvise - a bearing press?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3476
    edited March 27
    drofluf said:
    The top cup came out with just a wiggle, havent tried the bottom yet, I do have access to a whole workshop though so should be an easy enough job to do. I was a Land Rover mechanic before my health took a turn for the worst but my old boss is a very good friend and he lets me use the workshop when I need to, He's also a keen MTB rider so knows a bit about this kind of thing.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    edited March 27
    robgilmo said:
    p90fool said:
    They're not built to last unfortunately, I'm always replacing bearings on our bikes.

My wife cycles thousands of miles a year and I have to go through every moving part every six months on both of her bikes. 

One thing you learn very quickly in the 21st century cycling world is that you're supposed to buy this year's colour every season and if you must actually ride the damn things, don't do it in the rain or frost. 
    p90fool said:
    They're not built to last unfortunately, I'm always replacing bearings on our bikes.

My wife cycles thousands of miles a year and I have to go through every moving part every six months on both of her bikes. 

One thing you learn very quickly in the 21st century cycling world is that you're supposed to buy this year's colour every season and if you must actually ride the damn things, don't do it in the rain or frost. 
    Its funny you say that, I have a Carrera Vulcan that lives in the garden, my kids bikes take up all the room in the shed so it has to, its cheaper than cheap, but apart from some rusting on the fork tubes I dont really have any issues with it at all, well , apart from it being so flimsy I can actually feel it flex when out on the trails, Oh, and I buckled the back wheel on the Viking Trail once.
    The one I've replaced pretty much everything on but the frame (at least once) is a carrera Vulcan. It's about 20yo and been well used.

And always kept indoors. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    p90fool said:

p90fool said:

Its funny you say that, I have a Carrera Vulcan that lives in the garden, my kids bikes take up all the room in the shed so it has to, its cheaper than cheap, but apart from some rusting on the fork tubes I dont really have any issues with it at all, well , apart from it being so flimsy I can actually feel it flex when out on the trails, Oh, and I buckled the back wheel on the Viking Trail once.
    The one I've replaced pretty much everything on but the frame (at least once) is a carrera Vulcan. It's about 20yo and been well used.

And always kept indoors. 
    Something to look forward to then, there is always something that needs a spanner putting on it.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    p90fool said:

p90fool said:

And always kept indoors. 
    Something to look forward to then, there is always something that needs a spanner putting on it.

Don't let the chain get too worn/stretched. I did, then I had to replace the gears because the new chain kept slipping off. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    p90fool said:

p90fool said:

And always kept indoors. 

Don't let the chain get too worn/stretched. I did, then I had to replace the gears because the new chain kept slipping off. 
    I will keep an eye on that, thankyou.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    elstoof said:
    You don’t need to strip a bike down to change a headset*, just drop the fork out

(*unless you’ve made the mistake of getting a modern fully integrated frameset with hydraulics and electrics routed through the steerer tube)
    Don't go there, my new bike has one and if ever there was a solution looking for a problem, this is it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    robgilmo said:
    drofluf said:
    The top cup came out with just a wiggle, havent tried the bottom yet, I do have access to a whole workshop though so should be an easy enough job to do. I was a Land Rover mechanic before my health took a turn for the worst but my old boss is a very good friend and he lets me use the workshop when I need to, He's also a keen MTB rider so knows a bit about this kind of thing.
    A bench vice also works to press the new cups back in. Or a rubber mallet back in my BMX days :)

Old one coming out with a wiggle doesn't sound right though, they're usually a pretty tight fit. Hopefully the head tube hasn't ovalised or something.