Classic Player Baja 60’s (Reissue) - are these good Tele's?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
Hi guys. what can you tell me about a Classic Player Baja 60’s (Reissue) as I've no experience/knowledge of these. I've seen an immaculate one in sonic blue, rosewood neck for £395 (but no case).  It has a fourth switch position, which runs both pickups in series, effectively creating a humbucker and secondly there is a switch which inverts the signal in the form of a hidden button on top of the tone control.   Is this a good Tele and is it a good price - what's a typical price for one of these?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Just found some info on it - big problem is the truss rod adjusts at the wrong end which is just too much of a faff. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1538
    edited March 28
    They only came with a gigbag iirc, no case. £395 seems a great price at today's prices. These were overshadowed, perhaps unfairly, by the 50's models and were later christened "Baja" as well. The specs and pickups are different but they're near the top of what was coming out of Mexico at the time. The faded sonic blue + rosewood is a lovely combo. I thought it was less pure Tele-like than I was after when I tried one about 10 years ago. I may not think so now.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:
    They only came with a gigbag iirc, no case. £395 seems a great price at today's prices. These were overshadowed, perhaps unfairly, by the 50's models and were later christened "Baja" as well. The specs and pickups are different but they're near the top of what was coming out of Mexico at the time.
    Plus £50 delivery (which seems a bit high). Such a shame as it looked very nice, seems to be in immaculate condition, & I like the extra switching options, but I just can't live with a vintage truss rod adjustment.  If anyone's interested, it's here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116118018617
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    edited March 28
    Voxman said:
    Just found some info on it - big problem is the truss rod adjusts at the wrong end which is just too much of a faff. 
    Truss rod adjustment at the dusty end is less a problem with a Tele than a Strat - particularly if it’s 21 frets. Simply lift or remove the scratchplate and it’s all accessible. There are also tools (Stewmac I think) available to help adjust the rod.

£395 sounds like a good price.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I had an originial Baja ,two in fact and loved them but a bit heavy for an old fart .fine guitars though  with great necks and pickups .Not a traditional tele but who gives a fuck .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14740
    rossi said:
    … a bit heavy … great necks … 
    This.

I don't rate the stock pickups, dislike the 4-way selector switch and distrust the S-1 switch.

Eight switch positions to get six sounds?  I prefer the Freeway 3B3 or Schaller Megaswitch M (circuit SS3).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 820
    edited March 28
    Voxman said:
    I have one. You can take the scratchplate off and get at the truss rod with a truss rod crank without loosening the neck, strings etc as the neck pickup is mounted into the body not the scratchplate. 

Got mine off here in 2018 and love it - it displaced a 2007 US standard. It’s lightweight, plays really nicely and I haven’t felt the need to replace the pickups (unlike in the US standard).

I never use the additional switching though.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1538
    Voxman said:
    GoFish said:
    They only came with a gigbag iirc, no case. £395 seems a great price at today's prices. These were overshadowed, perhaps unfairly, by the 50's models and were later christened "Baja" as well. The specs and pickups are different but they're near the top of what was coming out of Mexico at the time.
    Plus £50 delivery (which seems a bit high). Such a shame as it looked very nice, seems to be in immaculate condition, & I like the extra switching options, but I just can't live with a vintage truss rod adjustment.  If anyone's interested, it's here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116118018617

The extra options sound useful but in practise I found I was just swtiching from one to another just bescause I could. It was even worse than the 5 strat options which I'd consider a distraction if I wasn't so used to it.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    That wont hang around at that price, unless the 60's dont sell as well as the 50's? I have a 50's and I think its a great guitar, its got a real chunky neck which is what I like and find easier to play, I dont know about the neck on the 60's though, my 50's has been the last guitar I will ever buy for many years now, for me its perfect.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Oh, forgoit to mention, truss road is easy to adjust, scratch plate off and bingo , its done. The one I have is very stable, Ive only adjusted the rod once in all the years of ownership.
    Evben the tuning is stable, it can sit for weeks without being picked up and still be in tune, its the most stable guitar I have ever owned.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    edited March 28
    It’s not buy it now, I doubt very much he’ll sell it for £395. 

Edit; even beaters are going for £500+ from watching the market. 
    Deadman said:

Good point
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 262
    Grab it. 
    robgilmo said:
    Oh, forgoit to mention, truss road is easy to adjust, scratch plate off and bingo , its done. The one I have is very stable, Ive only adjusted the rod once in all the years of ownership.
    Evben the tuning is stable, it can sit for weeks without being picked up and still be in tune, its the most stable guitar I have ever owned.
    Does that mean you don't need to undo the neck? How is it adjusted - hex key or screwdriver?
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    edited March 28
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 820
    edited March 28
    Voxman said:
    Does that mean you don't need to undo the neck? How is it adjusted - hex key or screwdriver?
    Screwdriver type. You don’t have to remove the neck or even slacken the strings. Something like this makes it very easy:

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/products/philips-head-truss-rod-wrench

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Voxman said:
    Deadman said:

Good point
    Hey, try his arm, see if he’ll give it to you for the 395 +50 postage. It’d be a result if he did! I’d need to know the weight though, personally. Can’t stand heavy stuff. And any Tele over 8lbs gets me sucking my teeth. It's a lovely thing mate, think I’d prefer it over the 50’s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    robgilmo said:
    Its been a few years but from memory its a screw driver job. I might have a photo..

Here we go, the pick up can make it a faff but its dooable.

This guy made his own special tool.

• brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 365
    edited March 28
    I've owned one of these, they're very good. The extra sounds are fun (series as a boost, phase switch in series for a nasty skronky sound with fuzz or distortion). The colour's very pretty too. I didn't keep it because I have a Marr Jag that covers a lot of the same stuff and more, but that's about four times more expensive an instrument. 
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 189
    £395 is very cheap for a Baja tele. They often go for more like £600
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw