Classic Player Baja 60’s (Reissue) - are these good Tele's?

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 742
    robgilmo said:

Ive only adjusted the rod once in all the years of ownership.
    That's the way I see it. Good set up when you get it and that's it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Thanks all, appreciate the very helpful feedback. B)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2230
    I had one and it was rubbish. Weighed a ton, wood was dead and had the thickest finish on it I ever seen. I’m sure there are good ones out there though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1326
    edited March 29
    A few missing the point on here , saying buy it ,thats cheap etc ....£395 is only the auction STARTING  price not the buy it now price, he may have done it to get lots of interest and watchers/ bidders, it will reach £500 minimum.

I've owned 2 Bajas ,both heavy , i didnt like the 4 way switching and pick ups , a Chinese Squier Classic vibe custom tele seen bith of them off .
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 662
    edited March 29
    I have one in this colour, although it has a Pau Ferro fretboard (which I don't mind at all). It's a great workhorse guitar and the American Vintage pickups are decent. It isn't the lightest tele and as someone mentioned the finish is quite thick, but it has loads of tones in it and covers loads of ground. Perfect gigging guitar as far as I'm concerned. It won't go for £395.
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 57
    mark123 said:
    A few missing the point on here , saying buy it ,thats cheap etc ....£395 is only the auction STARTING  price not the buy it now price, he may have done it to get lots of interest and watchers/ bidders, it will reach £500 minimum.

I've owned 2 Bajas ,both heavy , i didnt like the 4 way switching and pick ups , a Chinese Squier Classic vibe custom tele seen bith of them off .
    I had the same experience. Mine also weighed a ton and had a ridiculously thick finish. 
    Sold it for a cheaper cv50 which was a much better guitar.
    I think the bajas can vary wildly re weight and quality by the sounds of things.
    edited March 29
    From what I understand, the weight can go up to nearly 8.5lbs which is a ib heavier than my US Tele, but lighter than my HBTE52NA which is 9lb 2.6oz.  Mixed feedback/views from folk but its all appreciated. It's so difficult buying privately unseen when you haven't heard or played a guitar.  I've been very lucky to date and the only guitar I bought that I've returned was a Larry Carlton S7 Sire from Thomann who have a no quibble 30 days return policy which made a return & refund easy.  

The weight, thick paint finish, awkward truss rod adjustment when all considered together means I think I'll give this one a miss. I'd also probably need to add compensated bridge saddles and for best intonation and saddle string height control I actually prefer individual saddles.  So it looks nice, might go for a good price, but ultimately probably not the best fit for me. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    £400 is a very good price assuming it's all working as it should.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    edited March 29
    £400 is a very good price assuming it's all working as it should.
    I appreciate that, & I would just mention that the £50 delivery includes a hard case which is very good. But ultimately it has to be a good fit for me & as I'm not sure about it probably best for me to let this one go. Folk have started to bid now, it's up to £415 so I think, as folk have been saying, this is likely to go for even more anyway. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Voxman said:
    Just found some info on it - big problem is the truss rod adjusts at the wrong end which is just too much of a faff. 
    The seller’s name is tombaker1992. He probably adjusted it with a sonic screwdriver.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3589
    I have to adsmit mine is heavy, I dont have any scales, oh I might have a spring scale in the tool box to set bearing preload on my swivel housings, I will have a look,
    Anyway,
    The weight I think adds to the feel, its weight gives credence to the thick neck profile , its like one big solid lump.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    So my scales arnt accurate, rusty old fishing type scales and they read 7 and a half ish pounds, which according to alexa is 3.4 kg, is that heavy? I have nothing to compare to.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    7.5 lbs for a Tele is very sweet. Mine’s 7lb 12oz and feels just right too.
    edited March 29
    robgilmo said:
    So my scales aren't accurate, rusty old fishing type scales and they read 7 and a half ish pounds, which according to alexa is 3.4 kg, is that heavy? I have nothing to compare to.
    That's a great weight & is pretty light for a Tele - if it's accurate.  I think anything 8lb or less is very good. But I must admit to being a little shocked, as I've just weighed my '88 USA Standard Tele (alder, rosewood neck, 6 saddle) which feels really comfy and way lighter than my Harley Benton (9lb 5oz) - but it came in at 8lb 6.2 oz which is way heavier than I thought it was.   o  So it seems as if I'd actually be quite happy with a Baja weighing in at the same weight. 
    Deadman said:
    7.5 lbs for a Tele is very sweet. Mine’s 7lb 12oz and feels just right too.
    Cool, thankyou,  if my crappy old scales are close to accurate its winner winner chicken dinner, if not the front swivel housings on my car will need new bearings soon.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1326
    To all those £395 "great price" " get it" etc etc..it's now £465 with a few hrs still to go, it will reach £500 at least by the end of the auction.
  • If it's a good example, still very much worth £500 imo.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 805
    If it's a good example, still very much worth £500 imo.
    They were routinely fetching £450-500 pre pandemic 
    edited March 31
    If it's a good example, still very much worth £500 imo.
    They were routinely fetching £450-500 pre pandemic 
    I'm sure it's a nice guitar but on reflection I don't think the vintage spec is for me. 3 saddle, neck truss rod adjustment, and having to take the scratchplate off even to adjust neck pick up height are  faff.

I think I prefer a more modern spec and so I'm going to upgrade the pickups in my USA 88 Standard Tele that has a great neck and action. 
    edited April 1
    As predicted by many of you here, went for £515 plus £50 delivery (inc hard case).  I have no regrets, as it wasn't right for me.  I may have felt differently of course if I'd had an opportunity to play it, but usually that's not an option with an EBay auction unless you and the seller live near each other.