Opinions Sought On Colour Scheme

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7273
    edited March 31
    No howls of derision from me @Tannin.; I considered that and I really like gold on some guitars, but I already have the expensive Schaller 3D bridge in chrome.  I'm not sure if there is enough wood under the bridge for a string-through bridge with ferrules in the back because this body is chambered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    Sporky said:
    You can get chrome pickup rings...

...and as previously mentioned, the cream looks ghastly.
    Or even wood ones
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409

Black rings, covered pickups (chrome not nickel), and I don’t like P90s in Teles.

Chrome tuners and knobs.

Wooden knobs are an abomination.

It’s a pity you’ve already got the roasted neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    1, no contest, followed by 2.
    All other options are abhorrent imo - cream doesn't work well.
    Sporky said:

Or even wood ones
    Exellent suggestion there, but they offer ebony, maple, sapele, purpleheart and nick nack paduak, which would then confuse my choice further  ;)
    edited March 31
    ICBM said:

Black rings, covered pickups (chrome not nickel), and I don’t like P90s in Teles.

Chrome tuners and knobs.

Wooden knobs are an abomination.

It’s a pity you’ve already got the roasted neck.
    Cheers @ICBM.  What do you mean about already getting the roasted neck?  An aversion to roasted maple aesthetically, the practical aspect of roasted maple being more brittle when drilling pilot holes for the screws, the fact that it has a rosewood fretboard, or perhaps you could have sold me a solid rosewood neck?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    BillDL said:
    Sporky said:

Or even wood ones
    Exellent suggestion there, but they offer ebony, maple, sapele, purpleheart and nick nack paduak, which would then confuse my choice further  ;)
    Shame they don’t do maple/walnut.
    ..... or a soapbar sized mounting ring for a mini humbucker pre-striped with walnut and maple  ;)

No surprise to me so far.
    Chrome humbucker in black ring with chrome mini humbucker is leading, closely followed by the choice of black soapbar P90
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    Number 2 (3rd one down in your picture).
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    or
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    The bottom one for me. But with darker knobs and pearl or cream tuner buttons 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    edited March 31
    I'll third (or fourth or fifth, wherever we are at this stage) the comments on the cream. It'll introduce yet another colour / tone to the already very crowded mix, and render the possibility of creating a sea of shades of beige.

In reverse order for me, it would be 2, and then (but probably not what you want to hear Bill) - 0 (the original).
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
    edited March 31
    AK99 said:

It'll introduce yet another colour / tone... 
    See, that's actually why I don't fancy the black.

Unless the controls are going to be black there's no other black on it. 

If you could get a white/cream closer to the stipes it might be better.

• JonBJonB Frets: 6
    #1 - could you get the bridge in black?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11797
    Number 1.

Schaller 3D bridge Bill?
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    Kurtis said:
    AK99 said:

It'll introduce yet another colour / tone... 
    See, that's actually why I don't fancy the black.

I do get that, but to my mind (at least) the black provides a nice little bit of contrast against the lighter coloured woods around it.  Besides, and not sure how you'd describe this in luvvy terms* I think the uncovered pickups make it look a little 'tougher' / more purposeful and business-looking than an all-beige palette.

*(I am an engineer, so take any and all aesthetic input with a very large dose of salt :) )
  • Simples …………..2
    edited March 31
    Yes @Offset, I've had that Schaller 3D-6 bridge since about 1986.  I bought it along with some Schaller M6 tuners to install on the first guitar I made from scratch.  That guitar didn't turn out great and I later changed the bridge and moved the 3D one to another guitar.  It's only ever been on 3 guitars since then and the tuners on only 1 guitar.

I'm actually surprised that anybody, even though it's only Kurtis so far, preferred the cream plastics.  In the flesh it doesn't look quite as bad as in the photos, and I agree with what Kurtis mentioned about the difference in appearance if the plastics were closer to the maple shade, however I think very much what @AK99 referred to as a sea of cream in a mix where colours are already crowded.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    edited March 31
    BillDL said:

Exellent suggestion there, but they offer ebony, maple, sapele, purpleheart and nick nack paduak, which would then confuse my choice further 
    Wooden pickup surrounds are also an abomination .

BillDL said:

Cheers @ICBM.  What do you mean about already getting the roasted neck?  An aversion to roasted maple aesthetically, the practical aspect of roasted maple being more brittle when drilling pilot holes for the screws, the fact that it has a rosewood fretboard, or perhaps you could have sold me a solid rosewood neck?
    Roasted maple is a complete waste of the best wood for a neck. It's weak, brittle and soft (yes, all at once), and looks horrible too in my opinion. Maple is a beautiful wood, don't ruin it by roasting it to try to make it look old.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited March 31
    I like your honesty @ICBM.  I do agree with you about how "roasting" changes the nature of the wood and makes it brittle, but in this case I couldn't find a solid rosewood or walnut neck at a reasonable price and either in stock or made for me with a reasonable lead time, so I had to go for something else where a stark light coloured headstock would be more in keeping with the look I wanted.  I can always swap the neck later.

I made my own ebony, walnut and maple pickup surrounds for three really "woody" archtops and I really liked the look, but having had a close-up look at some higher res photos of some wooden ones with more of a visible grain I am in agreement with you - for this guitar anyway.