Opinions Sought On Colour Scheme

What's Hot
BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
edited March 31 in Guitar
I have a feeling this question will elicit some very firm opinions, but I'm sure I'll be able to draw a consensus from it that might well coincide with what I'm already leaning towards.

I recently bought a GSP Basses Tele shaped body from @PVO_Dave.; It is of Alder? with a bookmatched walnut and maple striped cap.  It's a lovely body.  It was originally built with a solid rosewood neck into which Dave inlaid his own logo in abalone, but that was unfortunately sold separately.  I now have a nice roasted maple Tele style neck with a very nice dark rosewood fretboard, so in the photos below I've left the original photo with the rosewood neck and tried (crudely) to change the headstock to look more digestive biscuity colour.  It came out looking a bit yellow, but it's just a rough and ready editing job along the lines of the Royal family's image editing skills.

The top image is of the original configuration.  Chrome bridge and tuners. black uncovered bridge humbucker in a black mounting ring, black soapbar P90 in the neck, and black metal knobs.  I have the chrome bridge that I will use, so I won't be changing it for a black or nickel one, however I have black tuners.  I am undecided about whether to install an uncovered or covered humbucker or a soapbar P90 or mini humbucker, so I've created 4 permutations of "themes" below the original for you to cast your eyes on and form your immediate opinions.  I used different images for the chrome covers and they have a different reflectance, but they would all be chrome.

Suggestions for other permutations are welcome, for example black tuners, cream open bobbin humbucker in black ring, or zebra humbucker, etc, as long as it isn't for a different bridge because that's the one I'll be using.

Please give me your opinions for 1 to 4, based purely on the aesthetics.  I have a general idea of the likely differences in sounds from mini humbucker and P90 soapbar pickups.

1. Chrome covered humbucker in black ring with chrome mini humbucker (either with or without polepieces showing) in black soapbar P90 mounting ring.

2. Same as (2) above but with black P90 soapbar.

3. Chrome covered humbucker in cream ring with chrome mini humbucker in cream soapbar P90 mounting ring, with maple knobs (badly filled in).

4. Same as (4) above, but with cream soapbar P90.

Thank you 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Toss up between 1 and 2. 

The cream looks ghastly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    No 1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    edited March 31

Tough one to nail due the different color woods, but that would be my preference. Have fun!
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 158
    edited March 31
    Chrome bucker, black ring, black p90 for me. Looks smart and purposeful against the wood colour. Just my 2 cents 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Black open coil humbucker with black surround, and black P90
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    1 or 2

What are you using for to make the mock-ups? I’ll be asking a similar question soon
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

1 or 2 for me too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    Thanks so far guys.  I can see that I am going to be stuck with a hard choice from two of the options, and that will then need to be based on choice of pickup in the neck.
    drofluf said:
    1 or 2

What are you using for to make the mock-ups? I’ll be asking a similar question soon
    I am using an old Windows 7 laptop as a "desktop" with a copy of Corel Photo-Paint version 11.  It's just a merged together software bsed on the old Paint Shop Pro and other Corel image editing software, and I use it because I can find things quickly.  There are better ways to do it, and I could have spent more time doing "masks" with transparent backgrounds, but on the reduced size images I think it gives a reasonable enough representation of what I wanted.  I use IrfanView to do the cropping, because it's a lot quicker, but the Corel software allows me to drag and drop cropped images into an open image and immediately resize and position them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 663
    edited March 31
    I actually prefer the bottom two. Second from bottom probably out of the two.

Although I wouldn't choose those pickups, I'd want two the same. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    Best to worst:

(daylight)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    You can get chrome pickup rings...

...and as previously mentioned, the cream looks ghastly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited March 31
    I should have mentioned that in general I have a preferance for a covered humbucker in the bridge on HSS Strats and HH or other variations on Teles.  I feel that the open bobbin ones leave a bit too much of a gap around them, I'm always nervous of damaging the coils (although more so with open neck pickups), and I sometimes catch the pick on the top of the bobbins.  In this case because of the low profile bridge, I think that only the very top of the bobbins would / will be above the ring.  I deliberately left out black covered humbuckers / mini humbuckers, because they tend to be of satin or matt finish.  That can look great on a mean looking dark shredding machine, but I don't think it would suit this guitar.  If anybody thinks it might look good, eg. black covered humbucker and black soapbar P90, then let me know.
    edited March 31
    Thanks @Sporky.;; I have some flat low chrome and nickel rings that have a nice curvature to the tops.  I hadn't considered that option.
    Or direct-mount black P90s - with a P90-sized 'bucker in the bridge? Avoid the ring thing entirely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think in this case I may have some experimentation to get a good match between pickups that will involve a bit of height fiddling, so I would tend to steer away from direct mount.
    Fair enough!

To answer the original question, 2nd one down looks best to me, but it's your guitar not mine. :)
    edited March 31
    Ignore.  I misread something.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    There will be howls of derision ... but I reckon it would look great with gold hardware - pickup covers, bridge, tuners, the lot. Gold can go really well with wood. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    1 & 3, but wouldn't the whole thing just be better finished in burgundy mist? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom