Updated PRS S2 lineup

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    i’ve got two Vela’s that i’ve converted to Firebird neck pickups. Should I sell the original style D type pickups now or will they become collectors items ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Dentists Rejoice!!! The NHS range now with US pickups, amazeballssssss!
    Fuck off, he said with a friendly smile.  =)
    Hahahahahahaha

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    The stock D-Type pickup in the S2 Vela was manufactured by G&B in Korea. (I'm not knocking it. I have one in my Vela Reclaimed.) I suspect that it suits the semi-hollow variant better than the solidbody.

I have no idea whether there would be much demand for such a pickup on the used market.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I bet you all sit and play on one of these.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Whitecat said:
    About time!

Also, goodbye getting these for under £1500 now.
    2023 Velas were released at £1799 iirc. Doubt anyone actually paid that - discounting was pretty rife this past year. 
    The one I would want is the 594 single cut, I prefer the S2 contour, now with USA pickups (and I am guessing USA hardware and electronics too?) then that would be perfect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    TTBZ said:
    Hmm.. for me the neck D-type pickup was kind of a selling point! It sounded like a really fat strat neck pickup to me. Still maybe this might help to push used prices for the old style models down!
    Aye, though they'd already changed the D-type once before too - there's two versions out there already   *edit* @Philly_Q beat me to it

@Whitecat - YMMV, but that hasn't been my experience of the NF pickups at all - I found them to be very musical in the SAS and McCarty58 models, each to their own though!

I didn't realise they had a different version of the pickup before this one! Here's me wishing I'd got a Vela over lockdown when they could be had for about £600 used :)
    edited April 2
    Whitecat said:
    About time!

2023 Velas were released at £1799 iirc. Doubt anyone actually paid that - discounting was pretty rife this past year. 
    The one I would want is the 594 single cut, I prefer the S2 contour, now with USA pickups (and I am guessing USA hardware and electronics too?) then that would be perfect. 
    I think I'd like to try an S2 double cut actually, I've nearly bought one a few times when they've been on here used or on a deal and the pickups/electrics have always put me off actually. So this is definitely a bonus, wonder what the price point will be though.... grey_question 

Although PRS pickups are usually bizarrely not that great, the Silver Sky has shown they can actually make some great pickups. 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Whitecat said:
    About time!

Electronics, yes; Hardware, no. I wouldn’t worry though, the S2 594 hardware is top-notch.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I sometime think PRS go their own way for a while, then change to please the masses. Most people who bought a Vela liked the D type pickup some loved it but they were always having to explain that choice over something people instantly recognise who have always played fender or Gibson.

I have a 408 on my private stock full Denplan edition that’s 14k gold fillings on the birds and I really like them, more in the mini humbucker vibe but great pickups.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 3
    Boromedic said:
    Dentists Rejoice!!! The NHS range now with US pickups, amazeballssssss!
    The waiting time is considerable though and takes ages to get through on the phone to book a consultation to discuss buying one apparently.

if you go private (stock) you are straight in.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Does anyone have a clue what the new S2 ballpark price will be? Asking for a friend ;)

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    edited April 3
    The stock D-Type pickup in the S2 Vela was manufactured by G&B in Korea. (I'm not knocking it. I have one in my Vela Reclaimed.) I suspect that it suits the semi-hollow variant better than the solidbody.

I have no idea whether there would be much demand for such a pickup on the used market.
    Its an incredible pickup. Possibly my favourite neck pickup in a solid body. I didnt even know it was korean.  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    New rule suggestion: any PRS thread that gets derailed to >25% hilarious dentist jibes gets moved to OT. 

Or better still, the culprits get restricted to posting in OT for a fortnight. 

It's bloody tiresome. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    ^^^^ hahahahahahaha

Have we touched a nerve? Do you want to show us on this Paul Reed Smith doll where the bad people touched you.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    Every Gibson thread descends into the usual bollox, as do all the Fender threads. Why should PRS owners escape the stereotype.....

And I say that as an owner of a core PRS.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    Boromedic said:
    Every Gibson thread descends into the usual bollox, as do all the Fender threads. Why should PRS owners escape the stereotype.....

Yes yes, let's seek to increase the volume of the dullard behaviour, that can only help a community.

Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    TimmyO said:
    Boromedic said:

Yes yes, let's seek to increase the volume of the dullard behaviour, that can only help a community.

Well if it's good enough for one.....

And I forgot Suhr, they're always tagged as sterile in threads when they're anything but.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    I guess this thread's pretty much played out now, but I forgot to say yesterday - I like the new Space Blue colour for the Standard 22, Standard 24 and Vela.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Philly_Q said:
    I guess this thread's pretty much played out now, but I forgot to say yesterday - I like the new Space Blue colour for the Standard 22, Standard 24 and Vela.
    I’ll check out the new colours @Philly_Q ;

2 things that put me off the previous S2 line was: Poor colour options & the price difference compared to the SE line.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I think overall this is the right move for S2, as they always push the tag line of "made in the USA", well, it is assembled in the USA but not really made in the USA.  Now this is at least a step closer to it for those who think it matters.