Updated PRS S2 lineup

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2385
    Whitecat said:

Suhr aren’t allowed to say “Made in the USA” anymore. 

If PRS were in California they wouldn’t be able to say “made in the USA” either. That’s a state-specific law. Fender can’t say “made in the USA” on their USA-made instruments, for example, and they don’t. Only 5% of components or parts can be imported in order to put that label on them, or 10% if it’s impossible to source any American equivalents - none of the above meet that standard. 

/pendantry
    I'd mark them Born In The USA if I were John.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited April 3
    Correction, my Bogner says "Handcrafted" in Los Angeles CA USA  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They'll need to discount these new prices....I mean who pays £2500 for a Custom S2 when you can buy a pretty stunning used Core model for a couple of hundred quid less? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Strat54 said:
    They'll need to discount these new prices....I mean who pays £2500 for a Custom S2 when you can buy a pretty stunning used Core model for a couple of hundred quid less? 
    I suspect the model is to get people to buy it on finance (whereas you can’t finance the used core model). But the prices are nuts. I bought a brand new core DGT for 2.7k in 2020!
    Strat54 said:
    I suspect the model is to get people to buy it on finance (whereas you can’t finance the used core model). But the prices are nuts. I bought a brand new core DGT for 2.7k in 2020!
    Ah of course, never done finance for guitars....is it popular? I bought a nearly new Core DGT in 2011 for £1399 from Coda lol.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Strat54 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Ah of course, never done finance for guitars....is it popular? I bought a nearly new Core DGT in 2011 for £1399 from Coda lol.
    Very, I think. Easy too, a few clicks and a form. I’ve used it a couple of times (0% over 10 months) but they also do products like 12 months buy now pay later which I do not trust myself to go anywhere near. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Coda have a couple of used S2 at the moment. The 10th Anniversary are more expensive than the standard version. The update seems to bring them in line with the Anniversary spec.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve read / heard a few times from different sources that the middle market for guitars is the hardest sell - the £1k to £2k mark. Cheaper sub £1k and high end are the key markets - if this is true then they are playing to this. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think we are all grinding on prices at the moment and certainly wages are not keeping up with many price rises. That said on our little manufacturing side of the business every part component seems to have had big price hikes. Yeah we are not buying in super large quantities but across the board glue screw wood all seem to have risen some well in the 40% and nobodies blinking when shopping around.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    Them anniversary ones look like good value, I nearly got one from Peach last night!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I quite like the 594, just wish it had a single vol / tone.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    Oh well, fuck it, Suhr was a really bad example to pick.  But nearly everyone uses import hardware.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Philly_Q said:
    Oh well, fuck it, Suhr was a really bad example to pick.  But nearly everyone uses import hardware.
    I am always a little surprised big companies don’t have their own metal hardware production. Or does metal production not get cost effective until it hits a high volume.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    edited April 4
    Philly_Q said:
    Yep, very little hardware is US made. And remember, even Gotoh (MIJ), Grover (MIC), Schaller (MIG), Kluson (MIK & MIJ), and TonePros (MIK) would be classed as import hardware for a US-builder.

I think I’m right in saying that CTS pots aren’t typically US-made these days either?

*edit* @Jez6345789 indeed, it’s expensive to make complex hardware like tuners and bridges, that’s why there’s relatively few options to choose from and even then, many brands are built by other manufacturers, e.g. Fender’s tuners are made by Ping, as are Grover’s; Gotoh produce the Goldo-distributed Kluson hardware, but the US-distributed (by WD Music) Kluson stuff is produced by Ping.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Strat54 said:

I prefer the S2, especially if it now comes with better pickups.  Ther maple top is thinner, which I think helps the sound, and the chamfer at the edge of the body is a lot more comfortable than the carve on the expensive ones.

I wouldn't pay £2500 for one though, but I wouldn't pay the current prices for a core model either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    Philly_Q said:
    I am always a little surprised big companies don’t have their own metal hardware production. Or does metal production not get cost effective until it hits a high volume.
    Where do you define metal production as starting from? Iron Ore and Bauxite? ;)

Most metal working will need plating afterwards (ie chrome) which is a dirty process with toxic chemicals. Not really suitable for a small production run setup.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Am I right in thinking Musicman make a lot of their hardware in house? I might be wrong...
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Am I right in thinking Musicman make a lot of their hardware in house? I might be wrong...
    Unlikely - they probably have a manufacturer that produces stuff to their spec, but not in-house per se.

Incidentally, even PRS (US) and Gibson don’t physically make their own hardware either - it’s subcontracted out to other companies. 

PRS used (John) MannMade Inc. for their bridges and modifications to Schaller tuners in the earlier era; I forget who Gibson use for bridges etc but it’s likely more than one supplier.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    Phil McKnight's reviewed the new S2 Standard 24 Satin:

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    @bacchanalian with reference to your post in the closed Gibson QC thread, it was me that posted a dentists chair in here, not sure it's peak internet and it took me about 20 secs. Not much time and very little effort to do so, and have a little laugh at the same time. I'm easily pleased, what can I say ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.