Calling all les Paul fans, advise needed

What's Hot
musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
Gretsch fan boy through n through however I’ve been wanting a decent les Paul for ages but always scared to pull the trigger as I don’t know much about the years/models to avoid etc. 

so which years 80’s onwards to date were good for standards and custom shops and what to avoid. 

I do like the wine red and lighter bursts colours.

thanks,

dave
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18815
    I reckon most Gibson Les Paul owners are similarly confused about Gretsch's & the multitude of model numbers  ;)
    As usual, physically try as many actual guitars as you can.
    Hope you can find what you are looking for :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    I reckon most Gibson Les Paul owners are similarly confused about Gretsch's & the multitude of model numbers  ;)
    As usual, physically try as many actual guitars as you can.
    Hope you can find what you are looking for :+1: 
    Yeah I could talk all about gretsch but I don’t know much about Gibson other than two I own, 1990 Gibson Chet country gentleman and a 1982 custom shop Chet nylon 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    I am enormously fond of my 2006 Standard P90 LE. It took several years to convince the previous owner to relinquish his grip on the thing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    As far as I can tell the good year stuff is all just marketing bollocks and forum wankery.

Check the usual places for an idea of price, then find ones you like the look of and try them, see if they spark.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    You basically need to try some Les Paul's out, and hopefully find one that suits you. They do vary in sound and feel, and what suits one person, don't suit someone else at all.

Snags said:
    As far as I can tell the good year stuff is all just marketing bollocks and forum wankery.

Check the usual places for an idea of price, then find ones you like the look of and try them, see if they spark.
    Ok fair enough, cheers
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5760
    The first big question has to be do you want a great Les Paul or do you want a Gibson? There is obviously an overlap there but there are many many more great LPs out there if it doesn’t have to be Gibson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Personally speaking, I’d avoid 2006-2019ish for USA models.  CS’s of any vintage are consistently great. 
    dazzajl said:
    The first big question has to be do you want a great Les Paul or do you want a Gibson? There is obviously an overlap there but there are many many more great LPs out there if it doesn’t have to be Gibson. 
    Hi mate, yeah I think I want a Gibson 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited April 2
    Norlin sold Gibson in 1986 and after that the build quality generally went up....until it started going down again, some say from about 2006, others say later. I have a 2009 LP Custom with P90s which is everything it could possibly be IMO.  The company was sold again in 2018 (?). 
    Some LP Customs from certain times in the last 10-12 years have Richlite fingerboards.  I think it was 2015 they put the Min-Etune system on some LPs....forum experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
    And there are always plenty on ebay!

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5760
    dazzajl said:
    Well, contrary to common wisdom, I’d buy the prettiest one I could find. They’re so variable that unless you’re going to take the time to go on a shopping tour, it’s a total lottery. At least if you love the look of it, you’re going to pick it up and play it. 
    dazzajl said:
    dazzajl said:
    Well, contrary to common wisdom, I’d buy the prettiest one I could find. They’re so variable that unless you’re going to take the time to go on a shopping tour, it’s a total lottery. At least if you love the look of it, you’re going to pick it up and play it. 
    Yeah true 

jdgm said:
    Norlin sold Gibson in 1986 and after that the build quality generally went up....until it started going down again, some say from about 2006, others say later. I have a 2009 LP Custom with P90s which is everything it could possibly be IMO.  The company was sold again in 2018 (?). 
    Some LP Customs from certain times in the last 10-12 years have Richlite fingerboards.  I think it was 2015 they put the Min-Etune system on some LPs....forum experts please correct me if I'm wrong.
    And there are always plenty on ebay!

That’s what I was after, cheers 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    2016 onwards is good as they started to repair the damage caused, unfairly, by the 2014s and 2015s.
    2016 Traditional is a great place to start.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Apologies for jumping in….How are Les Paul Standards from the year 2000 generally regarded? 
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    I have a mid 90s lp studio, with an ebony board, which is beautiful - and you could probably pick one up for well under a grand. 

I’ve a 2019 50s standard goldtop which I really like and has seen off some others - I think these can be really nice. Didn’t like the 60s standard or modern as much. 

I’ve also just picked up an R6.  Think it’s a keeper too! But I’ve played some cs lps that didn’t suit me..

my advice would be to play them! 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I still think the pre 2012 Les Paul Traditionals are the best all round LP without spending silly money 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    As an overview, I'd say that I can find you a good or bad LP from any era, with any year date on it that you want - I'd say there are less 'regular' issues on most/many LP's today compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's but that doesn't mean you won't find a good LP from the Norlin era

My big issue with Norlin era models is the frets - Low and wide - A good re-fret will improve the playability of any Norlin era model, ditto with a good new wiring loom and IMO a better set of p/ups - Some will complain about the headstock pitch/angle and lack of a figured maple top, but Norlin era models do have their fan clubs and I've seen a few 'player' grade examples, with above mods, that are excellent to play

Come to 2002 and up to 2006 and IMO for a production model LP Std then not along wrong with this period - they started to offer many features that LP players had been asking for, for many years - Plenty of good examples out there - Personally I prefer the slightly chunkier 50's neck, but not a shed load of difference between 50's and 60's - But just enough for me to have a preference 

From 2006 until today, far to many changes to home in on one year, one model - For a while the Traditional was really the 'Standard' with regards to regular features , whilst the Standard went off down the lane with modern features that IMO makes it not a Standard - But each to their own 

Ref CS - Far better consistency, no matter what year - Play 2 from the same year and you might favour A over B, and you can apply that to two different CS models from different years - In such a case the hands on test drive is the best way forward - You should not get a poor CS, but you might prefer one to another if you try enough 

Dave - NE show and NW show soon, so you might find something there if you are visiting as per normal
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4835
    edited April 3
    Can only echo the above some great advice, good wood years and eras is just forum and internet bollox. A good one is a good one, and if you want the big G, only the big G will do. A lot of the copies just don't feel the same I think.

Just work out a finish/look you're after, what neck you'd prefer and a weight range you're happy with, and go from there. You don't need to go custom shop, plenty of great Les Paul's in the Standard, Traditional and Studio ranges, even the Tributes or Classics.

You can always change pickups and electrics if you want to go full classic 50s wiring, or stick with modern and something like Aldrich's or similar. So don't get snowed under with that stuff, although some like the 498T/490R combo.

I always go for new tail pieces and bridges which are great but again, they're nice to do not necessary. Shame that the Standard in the classifieds from the early 2000s has just sold, that would've been good for you.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

As an overview, I'd say that I can find you a good or bad LP from any era, with any year date on it that you want - I'd say there are less 'regular' issues on most/many LP's today compared to the 70's, 80's and 90's but that doesn't mean you won't find a good LP from the Norlin era

My big issue with Norlin era models is the frets - Low and wide - A good re-fret will improve the playability of any Norlin era model, ditto with a good new wiring loom and IMO a better set of p/ups - Some will complain about the headstock pitch/angle and lack of a figured maple top, but Norlin era models do have their fan clubs and I've seen a few 'player' grade examples, with above mods, that are excellent to play

Come to 2002 and up to 2006 and IMO for a production model LP Std then not along wrong with this period - they started to offer many features that LP players had been asking for, for many years - Plenty of good examples out there - Personally I prefer the slightly chunkier 50's neck, but not a shed load of difference between 50's and 60's - But just enough for me to have a preference 

From 2006 until today, far to many changes to home in on one year, one model - For a while the Traditional was really the 'Standard' with regards to regular features , whilst the Standard went off down the lane with modern features that IMO makes it not a Standard - But each to their own 

Ref CS - Far better consistency, no matter what year - Play 2 from the same year and you might favour A over B, and you can apply that to two different CS models from different years - In such a case the hands on test drive is the best way forward - You should not get a poor CS, but you might prefer one to another if you try enough 

Dave - NE show and NW show soon, so you might find something there if you are visiting as per normal
    Hi mate, cheers for that.