Calling all les Paul fans, advise needed

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    100% agree with what @guitars4you says. I really like the 2002-2006 spec Stds

FWIW I also think the current CS Goldtops (VOS) are among the best guitars Gibson's ever made, but that's partly just because they're lightweight goldtops with reasonably skinny necks, which they generally refused to make for a very long time
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    edited April 3
    Boring answer is what everyone already said. Gotta play em to find out. In my experience the neck profiles on anything mid 90s & earlier can vary massively, from super skinny to massively chunky. I’ve even found the same pickups can sound v different, and the weight can vary a lot, too. Depending on what you like, you can find the right LP for you in any era.

Definitely worth every bit of effort. When you find one that works for you, it’s perfect in every way.

edited April 3
    Also, you need a Les Paul in your life.
    Oops! Trying to post photos on mobile is tricky.

89, 90, 91  B)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    If you’re a Gretsch guy, then maybe avoid LPs with hot pickups like the 498T which came in Standards around 20 years ago. Hateful, shrill things to my ears. 

You mention wine and sunburst finishes, so you’re talking about carved top LPs, but don’t discount Specials with P90s. I gave up on heavy Standards and Customs years ago and settled on a TV Yellow Special as my main gigging guitar. For humbuckers I’ve got a 335.