Steve Howe , Trogly and someone called Harrison

What's Hot
Mike58Mike58 Frets: 167
https://youtu.be/IxhGsdA9SY8?si=8SMdGi8lsDEM3X1Y

Great Steve Howe phone call YouTube video with Trogly about his Gibson The Les Paul
When he goes on to mention his other guitar sales over the years at 16:15 in the video he mentions a Mr Harrison.... anyone heard of him? Would you trust your valuable wares with this chap? Oh dear.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    edited April 7
    Yes, Trogly (Austin Crites) from Ohio is certainly an acquired taste, but he does know a hell of a lot about guitars, in particular Gibsons.  He has his company registered as a "Domestic Limited Liability" company (The Trogly's Guitar Show LLC) and seems to live a pretty comfortable life judging by videos he has posted of the inside of his home, so he must be winning rather than losing money.  He takes some massive gambles at times and often buys guitars for eye watering amounts from places like Japan.  He also tracks down and brokers guitars for customers around the world.  My heart is in my mouth each time I see him disassembling guitars he has just bought for sums like $100,000.

I don't know whether I like him a lot, but he certainly has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Gibson guitars and the history of some of them is quite interesting.  I watch his videos from time to time if something grabs my attention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    Mike58 said:
    https://youtu.be/IxhGsdA9SY8?si=8SMdGi8lsDEM3X1Y

Great Steve Howe phone call YouTube video with Trogly about his Gibson The Les Paul
    When he goes on to mention his other guitar sales over the years at 16:15 in the video he mentions a Mr Harrison.... anyone heard of him? Would you trust your valuable wares with this chap? Oh dear.
    Just goes to show you that even criminals do an honest deal on occasion.

Interesting video. Amazing that SH recalls so many details.
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 318
    edited April 7
    BillDL said:
    Yes, Trogly (Austin Crites) from Ohio is certainly an acquired taste, but he does know a hell of a lot about guitars, in particular Gibsons.  He has his company registered as a "Domestic Limited Liability" company (The Trogly's Guitar Show LLC) and seems to live a pretty *edit*, so he must be winning rather than losing money.  He takes some massive gambles at times and often buys guitars for eye watering amounts from places like Japan.  He also tracks down and brokers guitars for customers around the world.  My heart is in my mouth each time I see him disassembling guitars he has just bought for sums like $100,000.

I don't know whether I like him a lot, but he certainly has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Gibson guitars and the history of some of them is quite interesting.  I watch his videos from time to time if something grabs my attention.
    Did you seriously just post a Google maps link to his house? That is freaking creepy man.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13903
    edited April 8
    BillDL said:
    Yes, Trogly (Austin Crites) from Ohio is certainly an acquired taste, but he does know a hell of a lot about guitars, in particular Gibsons.  He has his company registered as a "Domestic Limited Liability" company (The Trogly's Guitar Show LLC) and seems to live a pretty comfortable life, so he must be winning rather than losing money.  He takes some massive gambles at times and often buys guitars for eye watering amounts from places like Japan.  He also tracks down and brokers guitars for customers around the world.  My heart is in my mouth each time I see him disassembling guitars he has just bought for sums like $100,000.

Did you seriously just post a Google maps link to his house? That is freaking creepy man.
    It's out there in the public domain.  Nothing creepy - just making the point that good ol' Trogly has a nice gaff courtesy of his business.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    edited April 7
    Why do you need to ask when you have already clicked the link?
    Nothing creepy about it at all.  It's as easy as doing a company search here with Companies House and seeing names and addresses of people and businesses.  The information is very freely available. He's made videos of his home that includes an indoor basketball court/gym and has shown various other parts of his home.  His real name is well known and he tells people where he is from.

OK, if it pleases you I will remove the link and @Offset can do so also.  I suggest that you do likewise from my comment that you quoted.
    You can Google Austin's address in 10 seconds.  It's even been published in a newspaper article in a local Ohio rag.
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 318
    Okay guys.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7406
    edited April 7
    In the interests of impartiality, was anyone on here about to head off to Ohio on the back of reading this thread?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 167
    edited April 7
    This thread is more about a certain Justin Harrison … and not Trogly.
    That’s Justin Harrison convicted fraudster,  thief and liar.. and that’s being kind
    Mike58 said:
    This thread is more about a certain Justin Harrison … and not Trogly.
    Crikey!  I thought it was about George!!!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25050
    Coming back to the Steve Howe interview... wow, what a very nice man.  And he remembers so much detail about weird little modifications he made decades ago.  He's a proper guitar nerd.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11878
    tFB Trader
    Interesting interview. Can't say I've ever listened to a single Yes track - well, except 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' as in general I'm not a fan of prog - sounds like a nice chap though. Guitar looks like a blingy boat anchor ... not surprised he ditched it. 

I've watched the Trogley's Guitar Show a few times. Great knowledge base, interesting content, vaguely irritating voice, dreadful playing when he demos stuff - I mean proper cringeworthy. :-)  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed , Steve Howe had incredible recall and came across a lovely chap. 
    The Gibson TLP was one I thought when I saw it in catalogues…. yuk tasteless American excess.. and this is from a guy that dreamed of a Les Paul Recording back in the day !! Low impedance pickups , check. Decade switch, check . Unknown knobs and switches, check.!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    Steve Howe lives near me, and my mate programs all his live rigs with his classic album tones using Line 6 gear. He has a lot of interesting stories.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    tony99 said:
    In the interests of impartiality, was anyone on here about to head off to Ohio on the back of reading this thread?
    It was a google maps link to Trogly’s house, not Justin Harrison’s…
    Philly_Q said:
    Coming back to the Steve Howe interview... wow, what a very nice man.  And he remembers so much detail about weird little modifications he made decades ago.  He's a proper guitar nerd.
    Yes, I watched/listened to it yesterday.  He really did come across a a lovely chap, and it was a really interesting interview so kudos to Trogly.  That guitar is bloody horrible though - truly hideous.

I too find Trogly's delivery irksome but he does know his stuff when it comes to Gibsons and whilst the content can get very repetitive (how different can one LP be from another FFS), I still find myself tuning in most evenings.  His playing is indeed pretty awful, but he'd probably be the first to admit that and I usually skip that part of his posts.
  • tsj93tsj93 Frets: 58
    stonevibe said:
    Steve Howe lives near me, and my mate programs all his live rigs with his classic album tones using Line 6 gear. He has a lot of interesting stories.
    got the google maps link?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 258
    It seems like Harrison Jr is going to be getting a signature Epiphone or Gibson this year - I'm looking forward to seeing the forum chaos on that one... 
    It seems like Harrison Jr is going to be getting a signature Epiphone or Gibson this year - I'm looking forward to seeing the forum chaos on that one... 
    I'm sure everyone will ignore whose signature instrument it is and simply focus on the merits of the guitar itself...  ;)