How did last night's gig go?

What's Hot

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 392
    topdog91 said:
    Saturday night our 3-piece rock(ish) party band played at a biker rally. We were given the choice and chose to go on first at 6:45. My mate was the organiser and promised us burgers before we went on, for some reason this was a really big deal which we were looking forward to, and it didn't disappoint. We have got our setup pretty much down now with triggers on all drums, me DI'd on my FM9 with RCF 10 behind me, bass amp on stage but also DI. The sound was nice and full in the marquee and we went on full of confidence. We got great applause from the start and had a great gig. We purposely left out the ska section of our set which we later regretted as we were told they love that stuff, bugger!
    Why do you trigger the drums?
    Instead of mic'ing them. We get a consistent drum sound by using this method....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 938
    topdog91 said:
    Saturday night our 3-piece rock(ish) party band played at a biker rally. We were given the choice and chose to go on first at 6:45. My mate was the organiser and promised us burgers before we went on, for some reason this was a really big deal which we were looking forward to, and it didn't disappoint. We have got our setup pretty much down now with triggers on all drums, me DI'd on my FM9 with RCF 10 behind me, bass amp on stage but also DI. The sound was nice and full in the marquee and we went on full of confidence. We got great applause from the start and had a great gig. We purposely left out the ska section of our set which we later regretted as we were told they love that stuff, bugger!
    Instead of mic'ing them. We get a consistent drum sound by using this method....

What do you use for it?
    topdog91 said:

What do you use for it?
    The drummer has a trigger for every drum linked to a 'brain' (as he calls it). Some Roland model I believe. It's in stereo and all I know is it sounds brilliant, all I have to do is push up 2 faders and we're done...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 388
    @firepaulmusic What is inconsistent about the acoustic drum sound? Seems like a lot of work.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    topdog91 said:
    @firepaulmusic What is inconsistent about the acoustic drum sound? Seems like a lot of work.

The whole band goes through the PA whatever the size of venue, sohaving a consistent mic'd drum sound ads so much to the overall sound. Takes a couple of minutes to set up the triggers...
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    sw67 said:
    Last 2 gigs have been great - dancing from 1st to last song. We just dropped a venue because nobody turned up until 11pm as it was open to 3am. It’s a pity as it had a great set up but i don't want to play to 10 people.
    They should start the gig later definitely 

Musicwolf said:
    A strange one for us last night.  A very small pub come social club.  We've played there before so we knew just how limited space was (there's just three of us, 2 guitars + vocals, Helix direct to PA).  We didn't bother bringing any lights and we knew that we'd have to shift their crappy little PA cabs to one side and set ours up (so no need to bring stands).

When I got there I discovered that they were also having karaoke (no mention on the booking).  Karaoke 8:30 - 9:30, then our first spot (zero time for change over allowed for).  10:15 they cut us off to restart the karaoke and 'Play Your Cards Right' for an hour, then back on at 11:15 with a cut-off of 12 midnight on the dot.  We went down well but we probably only played for 75 minutes in total.

They are more used to solo acts but we were back by popular demand.  If you're going to have bigger, and more expensive, bands now and then you'd think that they'd bin off the karaoke for the night and get their moneys worth from us.
    What a bizarre mixture ,karaoke live band ,play your cards right 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2416
    edited June 9
    Alnwick Playhouse last night, on rhythm guitar with Dire Streets. No backline, and first time out for my Strymon Iridium. The venue had provided wedge monitors so we ditched the cue/sfx tracks and the IEMs. I played my CS Strat and it and sounded great. I got to do the Kopfler Strat licks in Wild West End which was fun.

EDIT: Found a photo posted by someone in the audience. I'm the bald bloke on the right:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    Really odd gig. Still trying to process it...

Originals band, Sunday evening gig in a pub (doing our own PA). Got there early, set up the PA,  soundchecked. We had a solo singer songwriter for support, so got them soundchecked. All good, I thought.  It was about then I encountered the bar manager. Passive aggressive,  rude, fault finding, a real pain. According to her the sound was bad (it wasn't), we'd stowed our flight cases where we shouldn't have, insinuated we might be planning to steal their own (really crappy) PA gear (what the f?). I was polite as possible,  but she clearly did not want us there. 

She was rude to several band members during the evening,  and even came over to have a moan while we were packing up and stood by the door when we were loading out. It was so surreal how rude she was being, but she didn't even seem to realise it. I've been gigging for nearly 30 years and I don't think I've ever been spoken to like that.  

Weird thing is I think we actually played well. A guy we didn't know came up to us afterwards and bought drinks for the whole band and was really complimentary. Everyone else seemed totally fine. I'm trying to focus on that but I did find it quite hurtful if I'm honest. You put a lot of effort into these things after all. I'm still baffled as to what was behind it all. Obviously we're not going back there. 

Originals band, Sunday evening gig in a pub (doing our own PA). Got there early, set up the PA,  soundchecked. We had a solo singer songwriter for support, so got them soundchecked. All good, I thought.  It was about then I encountered the bar manager. Passive aggressive,  rude, fault finding, a real pain. According to her the sound was bad (it wasn't), we'd stowed our flight cases where we shouldn't have, insinuated we might be planning to steal their own (really crappy) PA gear (what the f?). I was polite as possible,  but she clearly did not want us there. 

She was rude to several band members during the evening,  and even came over to have a moan while we were packing up and stood by the door when we were loading out. It was so surreal how rude she was being, but she didn't even seem to realise it. I've been gigging for nearly 30 years and I don't think I've ever been spoken to like that.  

Weird thing is I think we actually played well. A guy we didn't know came up to us afterwards and bought drinks for the whole band and was really complimentary. Everyone else seemed totally fine. I'm trying to focus on that but I did find it quite hurtful if I'm honest. You put a lot of effort into these things after all. I'm still baffled as to what was behind it all. Obviously we're not going back there. 
    Some people are so fundamentally unhappy that they can’t help but spread it to everyone they come into contact with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Keefy said:

Some people are so fundamentally unhappy that they can’t help but spread it to everyone they come into contact with.
    Yes I think that's true @Keefy. I keep thinking whether it was something I/we did, but it's likely that it's just what that person is like. I also heard her being pretty grumpy with the bar staff so I'm just glad I don't work there.  
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1742
    FALL3N HALO were playing yesterday afternoon on the Rock Dock at Lambs Wharf, Northwich..  a canal side marquee playing to bikers and rockers alike.. sun shining, drink flowing.. great couple of hours indeed!!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 556
    Last gig with our current singer he is a founder member so we have been together for fifteen years so it was a bit emotional. We played really well and were joined by the girl who used be vox 2 up until covid so that was almost the crew back together for one last hurrah. A good number of our regular supporters turned up and there was the usual ebb and flow of passing punters. One bunch of young lads seemed to really enjoy Rory Gallaghers Shadowplay. The venue (The White Hart in Crawley) is pretty much our favourite pub gig and home turf. We want to carry on so really hoping the new singer works out, Paul is a hard act to follow but has some medical issues and wanted to quit while he's ahead, he is actually a very good bass player so he won't be stopping doing music.

All in all a great gig and a really nice send off. 
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3201
    The Dinosaurs were great
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Dinosaurs were great
    T. Rex tribute?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That really is odd , well at least you know you were good & the chap buying the band drinks goes to show . There are some strange people out there aren’t there. 
    @hollywoodrox yeah a really strange evening all in all. The good thing is we've not had it before or since so I expect there was something else going with that person on which we weren't aware of. You do meet all sorts gigging, but most people are actually really nice.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1658
    We had a late setup on Saturday due to the football. Didn’t have much time to sort the sound out as a result and it was the house (pub) mixer with our monitors. One aux. So on stage sound was interesting and for the one song where I play mandolin I couldn’t hear it! I was leaning forward to try and get a bit from the foh but was basically just putting my fingers where they should be without any sound coming back at me. Not great! 
    @hollywoodrox yeah a really strange evening all in all. The good thing is we've not had it before or since so I expect there was something else going with that person on which we weren't aware of. You do meet all sorts gigging, but most people are actually really nice.
    Someone else has just had a gig with a vile sound man, must be something in the air 
    All the best 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6429
    Keefy said:

Wedding gig on lead guitar for a friend of the singer. Do you ever have a gig where it feels like an invisible force is making you sound and play better? That was last night. I had a head start with the gear - Custom Shop Strat and a self-pimped Tele Deluxe into Matchless Lightning Reverb. I don’t normally use that Strat for such a rocky set but a lot of the time I was stacking a Peacekeeper into a RevivalDrive (with clean blend) and the thing just sang. The Mids switch on the RD really came into its own for fattening things up.

Very tidy set up !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback