Lost a pet last week.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited April 8 in Off Topic
And have been devastated by it.. both me and my wife feel like the heart have been ripped out of us..

Have been hesitant to post about it becayse it wasn't a dog or a cat etc, was a guinea pig, which of course always leads to "it was just a guinea pig".

But she was ours and she loved us. Any animal can behave like the expectation of dogs or cats, given the right treatment. Ours live inside and are free roaming. Not sat out a hutch at in the garden.

Anyway, this was her. Her name was Gigi, and she was the best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    I’m sorry dude. A pet is a pet and they’re all awesome in their own way. 

My sister lost a couple of rabbits a year or so ago. Despite being through it before with cats, gerbils, horses, fish, you name it she was still absolutely broken by it. 

I’m still not fully over our old cat Monty going at the beginning of last year. 

RIP Gigi
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    It’s obvious from your post how much you loved Gigi. She was beautiful.  

Take solace in the fact you gave her the best life you could. 

It’s really upsetting but things do get easier with time.

All the best mate. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    Crap news that mate.sorry for your loss.
    They're great animals. I had the pleasure of sharing a flat with one in  Spain for a short while (there were other human flatmates too of course).

My sister has one as well, they're lovely

Stay strong matey
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18876
    Gigi was a bonny beastie, sorry to hear that she isn't around for you still.
    There isn't a scale of acceptable emotion associated with pet loss, it hurt's like hell regardless of size, species, age etc.
    Sending best wishes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    I’m sure Gigi would like to thank you for the love care and time spent together- Our hearts can be touched in so many different ways- Best wishes to you all 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    What a beautiful creature ,I love the noises they make 
      Condolences on your sad loss 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11878
    Awwwww mate... so sad.  They all mean the same to us be they big or small.  Thoughts with you.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited April 8
    Looks like some of the YT vids didn't work, probably becayse they uploaded as shorts.. but in any case, she had three sisters who ran around with her. She was the last of our original 2, the first of which we lost 3 years ago.

I thought it couldn't be as painful as that, but it's worse.

She did have a good life though. That much I'm sure of.

Thanks for understanding folks..

Edit: managed to get the vids working

If anyone is trying to post a short in future replace /shorts/xxxx  with /watch?v=xxxx

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    I'd say almost any animal, reflects the love you give it. They become part of the family, you rely on them for comfort and love and they rely on you. Especially pack animals.
    Just look at those viral videos where a Lion or Gorilla hug a human that provided love/food/protection when they were younger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12391
    We love them and they love us, best wishes mate.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5779
    Always hurts to lose one of the family, doesn’t matter to the heart how big or small they were.  <3
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    I'm sorry for your loss tekbow. Pets are family and losing them hurts like crazy.
    Take comfort in knowing that Gigi was loved and had a great life with you and your wife.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    Sorry man. Gigi looks wonderful :)

"just a guinea pig" - if any of my friends said something like that I'd drop them sharpish. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16117
    Any pet loss is devastating to a home where the pet was loved as a family member whether it's a mouse or a pony.
    We lost Pretzel (a Wire hair Dachshund ) ,age 4 , today exactly 2 years ago ...........she was wonderful ,truly wonderful
    She died in labour with her first litter ,bless her 
    We have 6 Dachsunds who are 2 years old today .......hand reared , couldn't part with a single one of them 
    In many ways,they are so much like their lovely mum ......RIP Pretzel 
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    edited April 9
    Sorry to hear your loss. 

We have 2 pigs (and 2 cats), pigs are great little animals with their own personalities, Gigi looked like a fun little buddy to have around the house.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Really sorry for your loss. I never had pets as a kid but was persuaded by my kids to get a cat. I now can’t quite imagine the house without her, and had a moment the other day thinking about how awful it will be when we lose her. 
    In my day job I’ve also seen how hard pet bereavement can hit people - very often, just as hard as any human loss. 
    It’s clear you gave her a wonderful, loved life. 
    Best wishes 

Just want to say thanks again to everyone, It was really appreciated.. I sent the thread to my wife and it helped her a lot as well, she wanted me to convey her thanks too.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    Absolutely devastated for you. What animal it might be doesn't matter if the love is there. 

We lost our 18 month old dog 15 days ago due to a rare illness. 
    Was going to put up a post about it but I just couldn't face writing it. Struggled to even talk about it until now tbh. 
    Gandalph said:
    Absolutely devastated for you. What animal it might be doesn't matter if the love is there. 

We lost our 18 month old dog 15 days ago due to a rare illness. 
    Was going to put up a post about it but I just couldn't face writing it. Struggled to even talk about it until now tbh. 

I know how you feel.. it was a week before i could even consider processing. Post about it.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3593
    Lost our four year old cat a few months ago. Kept me sane through lockdown, and was my constant companion. In many ways, his death was harder to deal with than several human deaths I've had to cope with. Feeling the life ebb out of him in my arms ..terrible, heartbreaking. Totally felt like I'd failed him. 

I'm sorry for your loss.