Capo causing tunage problems

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2291

Tommy Emmanuel explains how to fit a capo properly so that it does not cause tuning issues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I’ve recently bought a Paige capo with its adjustable tension and cradle style. I already have kyser capos in each of the acoustic guitar cases. On the epiphone with its very low action, low frets and 10s there is little difference in tuning between the Paige and the kyser. On the Atkin the kyser capo needs some fiddling to get decent tuning, whereas the Paige capo properly placed and set is right first time. That said the Paige needs the frame corner filed down because it digs in the side of my first finger when fingering in the lowest position. There are fancy expensive versions of adjustable cradle style capos, some costing over £100. Mine was just over £30 iirc.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 369
    BigPaulie said:
    Jfingers said:
    I play acoustic with a capo (Shubb) in various neck positions and have done for decades.
    I agree that a slight tweak may be essential from time to time.

This is the special place where chat/banter happens with your given audience, don't stress about what a digital device is telling you, rely on your ears. Thank me later (unless you're in a high end studio...)
    Not sure I agree with that. 

Tuners are so cheap and reliable these days there's no excuse to not use them. 

Life is too short for playing out of tune. YouTube is full of videos ruined by the player not taking the 30 seconds to tune their guitar before hitting "record". Presumably they've "trusted their ears"and they think they're in tune but to anyone else, who isn't tone-deaf, watching the video it stands out like a sore thumb, or sore ear.

Your ear may be good enough to be "trusted"without the use of a tuner. We're not all that lucky.

To clarify, I was meaning solo acoustic and vocal. I would absolutely use a tuner if playing with other instruments that weren't my voice.
    My ear is good enough for what I do and people seem to like it. I couldn't tell you if my fave sofa acoustic is currently in concert pitch. It's probably about 4 fifths of half a step down today.

If my intonation is out, more than which it always is on guitar it troubles me. I think we're talking the same language but about different things. I can move a shubb capo whilst chatting and still have it pleasing to the ear with minor tweakage.
    I started playing at 12, I'll be 58 next birthday.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    Well JFingers, knowing how good your capo's are and how well you can tune a guitar by ear does not really sort out marktheharp's problem of the low E string going slightly sharp when he uses his capo.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    Oh, and I started playing at 12. and I will be 73 next birthday. So What.
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    Ok boys being boys . Thanks again everyone  :)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    Jfingers said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Jfingers said:
    I play acoustic with a capo (Shubb) in various neck positions and have done for decades.
    I agree that a slight tweak may be essential from time to time.

This is the special place where chat/banter happens with your given audience, don't stress about what a digital device is telling you, rely on your ears. Thank me later (unless you're in a high end studio...)
    Not sure I agree with that. 

Tuners are so cheap and reliable these days there's no excuse to not use them. 

Life is too short for playing out of tune. YouTube is full of videos ruined by the player not taking the 30 seconds to tune their guitar before hitting "record". Presumably they've "trusted their ears"and they think they're in tune but to anyone else, who isn't tone-deaf, watching the video it stands out like a sore thumb, or sore ear.

Your ear may be good enough to be "trusted"without the use of a tuner. We're not all that lucky.

To clarify, I was meaning solo acoustic and vocal. I would absolutely use a tuner if playing with other instruments that weren't my voice.
    My ear is good enough for what I do and people seem to like it. I couldn't tell you if my fave sofa acoustic is currently in concert pitch. It's probably about 4 fifths of half a step down today.

If my intonation is out, more than which it always is on guitar it troubles me. I think we're talking the same language but about different things. I can move a shubb capo whilst chatting and still have it pleasing to the ear with minor tweakage.
    I started playing at 12, I'll be 58 next birthday.
    We are the same age and I really envy you starting at 12 as I didn't begin my guitar journey until exactly 40 years later than you. I can completely understand you having a good ear after all those years.