So many cars now look alike...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24356
    Kurtis said:
    m_c said:
    Aerodynamics also play a large part in designs now, which is why side profiles of similar sized cars don't really vary much.
    I suppose there's no such thing as an "ideal" shape for a car as everyone has different needs, but it's kind of obvious that they will all end up looking very similar. Unless you just want to be different for the sake of being different.
    Especially since the use of wind tunnels etc. 
    F1 designer Adrian Newey has been known to mention that he could make the car far faster aerodynamically if he didn't have to put a driver in it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1097
    This problem is more obvious with lorries isn't it.  Why do all lorries look the same, and when/how was that decided?  I'm assuming the decision to have the driver on the same level as the front bumper has something to do with minimising the length of the lorry as much as possible?  
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11803
    steer said:
    Not only do they all look almost the same, most of them are black, white or grey. Since when did colour go out of fashion? 
    This reminds me of this moment the first time (and morning) waking up in Busan, Korea and looked outside my window at the hotel.  I also took a small clip video where cars were flowing on the top of the image at 4 lanes each side motorway, all white, grey or black.

Did you arrive on the Last Train, Raymond? :-)
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1797
    This problem is more obvious with lorries isn't it.  Why do all lorries look the same, and when/how was that decided?  I'm assuming the decision to have the driver on the same level as the front bumper has something to do with minimising the length of the lorry as much as possible?  
    Pretty much exactly that. There is a maximum length for the overall vehicle so the shorter the cab, the longer the trailer can be and hence fit more stuff in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    edited April 10
    Kurtis said:
    m_c said:
    Aerodynamics also play a large part in designs now, which is why side profiles of similar sized cars don't really vary much.
    I suppose there's no such thing as an "ideal" shape for a car as everyone has different needs, but it's kind of obvious that they will all end up looking very similar. Unless you just want to be different for the sake of being different.
    Especially since the use of wind tunnels etc. 
    F1 designer Adrian Newey has been known to mention that he could make the car far faster aerodynamically if he didn't have to put a driver in it!
    F1 is a good example. They all look the same because they're all trying to achieve the same thing. The science leads one way. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    edited April 10
    steer said:
    Not only do they all look almost the same, most of them are black, white or grey. Since when did colour go out of fashion? 
    Not just grey, but that weird 'undercoat' light grey colour . Fugly.
    YMMV 
    Or primer..as it used to be known.

I've always assumed that's down to people choosing to delete the paint option 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    As many have said, they all look fairly similar due to safety and performance constraints. But nothing looked like an old Jag. 

As cars look and are similar and often use interchangeable parts, why is there such a large variation in the sale price?  Is there any justification for charging an extra €1K for the onboard installation of a satnav?  Considering that the screen and control buttons are already fitted!  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4184
    In the 70s and 80s as a kid I could identify most cars easily & tell a hill an hunter from a cortina 
      A viva from a chevette etc even wolseys & Riley’s could be differentiated from Austin’s & Morris’s
      then there were oddities. Like NSU , DaF & Wartburg. It was a very special time especially the 60s & 70s transitioning from regular old styles and colors to more what we classed as futuristic 
    Like Citroe DS & GS . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9757
    I've no problem with cars looking the same within their respective types to be honest, it means people that cream their pants over a specific badge on the front look all the more silly when they are stuck at the same lights as a Kia or Nissan that looks basically the same
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I saw a bentley yesterday that looked like a ford focus had been to the gym. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Offset said:
    steer said:
    This reminds me of this moment the first time (and morning) waking up in Busan, Korea and looked outside my window at the hotel.  I also took a small clip video where cars were flowing on the top of the image at 4 lanes each side motorway, all white, grey or black.

Did you arrive on the Last Train, Raymond? :-)
    Ahem... ;)

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    Sassafras said:
    In the olden days most horses looked alike too.
    I'd have liked a pretty one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    edited April 10
    Rocker said:

As cars look and are similar and often use interchangeable parts, why is there such a large variation in the sale price?
    Like guitars?! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28374
    Does any manufacturer charge a grand for satnav any more? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Reverend said:
    I saw a bentley yesterday that looked like a ford focus had been to the gym. 
    I always thought that classic old Jags looked like a VW Beetle that had been stretched out.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 291
    And then there's Tesla's truck!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited April 10
    The Cybertruck's design is illegal in europe, we will never see it here in its current form.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1097
    The Cybertruck's design is illegal in europe, we will never see it here in its current form.
    But because of Brexit it means it'll be legal in the UK
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11803
    TFFT.
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    I recently saw a Jaguar diesel SUV.  William Lyons must be turning in his urn!  Whatever happened to grace, space and pace?  On our return to Stansted last year, there was a chap in tears as he had been searching all the car parks for his car, for over 3 hours!  he thought that he had seen it several times!  Note to self - take photos of when and where you leave it!