So many cars now look alike...

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4178
    Dominic said:
    I think there is a reasonable difference between brands on the whole but within brands there tends to be a very generic look that makes models look v similar and it's almost size alone that distinguishes one from another
    C Class / E Class
    BMW
    Audi Q2,Q3/5 etc etc 
    This is where I struggle. I've no problem telling a Ford from a VW, but to know whether you're looking at a Fiesta or Focus you have to know how far away you are from the car :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    Strumit said:
    I recently saw a Jaguar diesel SUV.  William Lyons must be turning in his urn!  Whatever happened to grace, space and pace?
    Two out of three isn't bad. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I remember in the 70s having an observers book of automobiles from the late 60s, would pore over it for hours, everything was so different.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2274
    Sporky said:
    Strumit said:
    I recently saw a Jaguar diesel SUV.  William Lyons must be turning in his urn!  Whatever happened to grace, space and pace?

I'd rather have all three and buy an old XJC
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    I think there is a lot of design diversity, except for things like bonnet and lights heights.  Also fads like "coast to coast" rear lights come and go.  That looked cool for about a week.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    Adey said:
    Sporky said:
    Strumit said:

I could see myself in this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296348730954
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    Adey said:
    Sporky said:
    Strumit said:

Hmm. Slow, heavy, and ugly is three, I s'pose. ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18822
    Adey said:
    Sporky said:
    Strumit said:

I could see myself in this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296348730954
    Fancy yourself as Ian Ogilvy?  ;)
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 269
    Interesting comment I saw recently on why current designs look like they do. It is all to satisfy the Chinese market. Why do BMW have those hideous huge front grills? Because when over half your output goes to one customer subgroup you bias things to fit their preferences. Apparently the size of the grill has, err, "cultural significance".

As referenced about the basic layout is determined by physics and practicality. Pick the intended task and basic shape, stick it in a wind tunnel and make a few allowances for the demands of safety regs the outcome tends towards the same result. Add in the common components ie several makes using the same floor pan, doors and so on et voila.

Back in the days when there was a more relaxed approach to design the builders were more free to express themselves which is how we got the Dodge charger (aerodynamically a disaster) and the mini.

Manufacturing processes also play a part. When hydroforming came along for example that had a big impact on the overall aesthetic. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9762
    snowblind said:
    Why do BMW have those hideous huge front grills? Because when over half your output goes to one customer subgroup you bias things to fit their preferences. Apparently the size of the grill has, err, "cultural significance".
    I thought it was for maximum coverage of the back window of the cars they drive up the arse of :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I thought it was for maximum coverage of the back window of the cars they drive up the arse of :)
    I'd heard Audi had assumed that particular mantle. Vorsprung durch lunatic.

Although maybe we could digress over to the hate crime law thread. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have an axe to grind against Focus STs with dustbin exhausts.  ;)
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    Ah yes. Parking spaces not wide enough to exit the car after you park. So far I have not heard anyone comment that the average waistline has also expanded exacerbating the issue. Guess we will all just have to start driving convertibles.
    The garages on most recent & new build houses are so narrow that if you were to drive in, then you would have to crawl out of the tail gate to exit. Why do people put up with this shite ?

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11809
    snowblind said:
    I'd heard Audi had assumed that particular mantle. Vorsprung durch lunatic.

Sorry :-(

Audi.jpg 1.3M
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    snowblind said:

Back in the days when there was a more relaxed approach to design the builders were more free to express themselves which is how we got the Dodge charger (aerodynamically a disaster) ...

Well tbf the Charger buying demographic tended to be more interested in things like the ability to outrun law-enforcement agencies, and/or how many bodies you could fit in the boot. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    snowblind said:

Back in the days when there was a more relaxed approach to design the builders were more free to express themselves which is how we got the Dodge charger (aerodynamically a disaster) ...

Well tbf the Charger buying demographic tended to be more interested in things like the ability to outrun law-enforcement agencies, and/or how many bodies you could fit in the boot. 

^This. When since the 1930's did American car maker's bother about aerodynamics?
    They just put bigger more powerful engines in to smash the air out of the way. Job done  ;)
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3021
    Don't quote me on this, I was told this by somebody who was trying to import a Cyber Truck.  Basically one of the major reasons why all cars look the same and the reason why the Cyber Truck will never be legally allowed to be imported into Europe - or rather why a special exception was given to it it, is due to car design legislation.  In short cars and all road vehicles for that matter are not allowed to have ''sharp'' curves on them to be road legal in Europe, they have to in fact have corners with a minimal radius to them for the safety of other road users and pedestrians,
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    @CavemanGrogg that is correct. There are very limited exceptions to sharp edges/corners, and even less for anything mass produced. If you do want to check the minimum standard in the UK, have a look at the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) manual, as IIRC it lists the minimum radiuses for body panels/components.

And doesn't the cyber truck also have pure electric steering?
    Which again doesn't meet UK/EU requirements, as the standards stipulates a mechanical link for road going vehicles.

Edit, just checked and it's now IVA (individual vehicle approval) process/manual.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3021
    m_c said:
    @CavemanGrogg that is correct. There are very limited exceptions to sharp edges/corners, and even less for anything mass produced. If you do want to check the minimum standard in the UK, have a look at the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) manual, as IIRC it lists the minimum radiuses for body panels/components.

And doesn't the cyber truck also have pure electric steering?
    Which again doesn't meet UK/EU requirements, as the standards stipulates a mechanical link for road going vehicles.

Edit, just checked and it's now IVA (individual vehicle approval) process/manual.

It's not just the steering from what the mate was telling me, a much bigger issues is the weight of the thing, in Europe you can't drive them on a standard car license, you need a full lorry license to drive one, I believe that they weigh close to if not over 3.5 tonnes.