• AK99AK99 Frets: 1594
    Looks batshit in a good way
    I see what you did there.. :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    edited April 13
    beed84 said:
    LPManic said:
    Wouldn't be arsed with it. The whole point of the Joker is that he is unknowable and just wants the world to burn. This humanising him is just not for me. Didn't like the first one at all.
    Interesting viewpoint. I never looked at it like that. For me, it was an excellent character study and an interesting use of a fictional villain as a means to understand mental health. Either way, I loved the first and am hopeful I'll love this one, too. I'm quite excited to see what Lady Gaga brings to the film as well.
    I agree with this.  I read somewhere (maybe IMDB) that this Joker movie is not actually part of the DC canon "universe" anyway, and may never be.  It was more like the Joker was just chosen as an interesting vehicle to tell a story of mental health - because everybody knows who the Joker is.  This story of a man pushed to extreme anger and psychosis has been told before (Falling Down, Nobody, King of Comedy mentioned above).  But using the Joker has much more of an impact doesn't it.  It's all about comic books these days.

BTW - the director Todd Philips has come leaps and bounds from when he was just all about Old School, the Hangover trilogy, School for Scoundrels, Starsky and Hutch).  The very first Todd Philips movie I ever saw was Road Trip which was an American Pie type of movie about college kids obsessed with sex.  He's all grown up it seems lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10260
    LPManic said:
    Wouldn't be arsed with it. The whole point of the Joker is that he is unknowable and just wants the world to burn. This humanising him is just not for me. Didn't like the first one at all.
    Understanding characters is what makes them interesting to me, and the ones you secretly identify with in some way while feeling uneasy about it is what makes it even more interesting. The ones that are just two dimensional get boring quickly. 

If you get a chance, read The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, about the Joker's origin, It heavily influenced The Joker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    AK99 said:
    Looks batshit in a good way
    I see what you did there.. :)

No bat-pun intended! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139

LPManic said:
    Understanding characters is what makes them interesting to me, and the ones you secretly identify with in some way while feeling uneasy about it is what makes it even more interesting. The ones that are just two dimensional get boring quickly. 

If you get a chance, read The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, about the Joker's origin, It heavily influenced The Joker.
    Killing Joke is controversial and non-canon though, FWIW. 

My take is there are a million versions of the Joker in a million different stories and that’s half the point of it. I don’t love every one but as long as they’re doing something interesting every time I’m happy (looking at you Snyder/Leto…)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    Why is Alan Partidge in a DC film ? I'm surprised he didn't ask The Joker about the pedestrianization of Gotham City Centre.

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    Look like an Else-World version of the Mad Love storyline, with a different twist on the power dynamics, which could be interesting. I doubt I'll see it tho.
    IMO the best version of these characters is on the DC Animated Series where Quinn was first introduced 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    dano said:
    Why is Alan Partidge in a DC film ? I'm surprised he didn't ask The Joker about the pedestrianization of Gotham City Centre.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10260
    edited April 13

LPManic said:

Killing Joke is controversial and non-canon though, FWIW. 

My take is there are a million versions of the Joker in a million different stories and that’s half the point of it. I don’t love every one but as long as they’re 
    I've heard this before but I would absolutely consider it canon at this point. The events in the Killing Joke are an integral part of many characters' story and continues to be. One of the main characters who was affected by the events goes on to become the Oracle and years later, the character recovers from this event. So how can it not be canon if the events were recognised in many runs and are referenced for years after the comic was released and it's a major part of a significant characters story arc? Most people consider it the accepted origin story of the Joker now. 

I agree there is debate around it, and it was controversial at the time but it's hard to argue against it being canon considering the story arcs that followed it. Interestingly, Alan Moore has disowned it. 

In any case it is a major inspiration for the film.