'With a Strat you can rule the world'

What's Hot
Apologies if already been shared on here somewhere, but a nice little article in The Guardian about the 70th anniversary of the Strat:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/apr/10/fender-stratocaster-turns-70
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    edited April 11
    Indeed... - albeit a Tokai ;) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 54
    Great Article. Pretty much the must have “ toolbox” for the music industry since the 50’s. I have always enjoy playing and gigging my ones though I doubt I could gain a nod of acknowledgment for doing so in Beckenham let alone the entire Globe! Nice one.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1354
    edited April 11
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.??  :/

for sure there's been many, many famous guitarists using strats over recent years but none so intrinsically linked with one so sonically and visually (obv. pre Les Paul , Pensa Suhr , dobro etc...).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1112
    edited April 11
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.?? 

for sure there's been many, many famous guitarists using strats over recent years but none so intrinsically linked with one so sonically and visually (obv. pre Les Paul , Pensa Suhr , dobro etc...).
    He's certainly up there, but for me when I think strat it's always Hank Marvin first that pops up in my brain.  I dont know why  because I'm not even a fan lol.  It's that image of him and his fiesta red strat and the twang of his songs.  It's an automatic association.   
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10253
    edited April 11
    Hank and Knopfler are definitely associated with the Strat but I'd say that Hendrix and his Strat, whether he's playing it with his teeth, behind his head, setting them on fire or playing festivals with them is the most iconic and famous Strat player.

Edit: Sorry I see you said last player. SRV, Frusciante, Mayer etc are good candidates. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.??  :/

Stevie Ray Vaughan came to prominence after that, so...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    So did Gilmour, but I agree that Hendrix is the ultimate strat player.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    Ultimate player certainly hendrix.

For me though, John Frusciante is the player I think of when I think about strats
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Beck for me is the ultimate  Strat player, if such a beast exists, the beauty of a Strat is that the individuallity comes out 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Blackmore.

But Hendrix is unquestionably the most iconic Strat player as well as guitar player.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    No world domination for me then.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    CaseOfAce said:
    Would I be wrong in thinking that the last person who really did match that statement "With a Strat you can rule the world" would be Mark Knopfler back in '78.?? 

He's certainly up there, but for me when I think strat it's always Hank Marvin first that pops up in my brain.  I dont know why  because I'm not even a fan lol.  It's that image of him and his fiesta red strat and the twang of his songs.  It's an automatic association.   
    Hank the imposter  =)

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 137
    Indeed... - albeit a Tokai ;) 

He has got a Fender strap on it, though!
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 54
    Whilst we are rightly acknowledging the greats, Rory G and SRV certainly deserve a “mentioned in dispatches”.
  • willowillo Frets: 383
    CaseOfAce said:

As mentioned above, I'd say Frusciante is probably both the most recent major guitarist associated with a strat, and also probably the most recent major mainstream guitar hero.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Simon Neil pretty much only plays strats too. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1354
    willo said:
    CaseOfAce said:

As mentioned above, I'd say Frusciante is probably both the most recent major guitarist associated with a strat, and also probably the most recent major mainstream guitar hero.
    Yeah - I can understand why chronologically Stevie Ray Vaughan and then Frusciante could be considered more recently.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Surprised we've gone this far in the thread and nobody has mentioned Clapton! Surely up there with the likes of Hendrix, Marvin etc as being synonymous with the Strat.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Surprised we've gone this far in the thread and nobody has mentioned Clapton! Surely up there with the likes of Hendrix, Marvin etc as being synonymous with the Strat.
    Meh!

Vintage65 said:
    CaseOfAce said:

Hank the imposter  =)

This.
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 210
    I’d say Nile Rogers is arguably the most likely person who the mass public would identify with a Strat, after Hendrix.

Obvs Clapton’s solo stuff & his black Strat is iconic (maybe more so than Knopfler from level of fame/visibility), but I imagine most people think of him with an acoustic. That’s my bias showing, though. I remember the singles from unplugged as a teenager,

More modern: Weezer, early Green Day, Kurt Cobain at Reading, Biffy Clyro, the dude from Khruangbin literally only owns the one Mexican Strat, Michael Kiwanuka was a Strat guy for the first few albums.