'With a Strat you can rule the world'

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4384
    "Curves, Contours, and Bodyhorns" pinpoints the exact moment I became obsessed with the Hendrix/Zappa Strat, as well as discovering Dweezil. Happy days!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    Not to forget Fast eddie Clark or Dave Murray ... 

Both using humbuckers, right?
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14742
    tFB Trader
    Neil said:
    Quite a mention for John Squire in the article but I usually associate him with a Les Paul rightly or wrongly. 

Reminds me of the 'Strat Pack' life in concert in 2004 - a 50th anniversary gig of all stars - And guess who comes on to play Al Right Now with Paul Rodgers ? - Brian May - A true Strat man if I ever saw one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then there was a Strat documentary a few years ago - Can't recall if Sky Arts or BBC etc - More of a documentary as against a concert, with certain Strat orientated players talking about its history and why they work so well - And guess who was a main contributor that night - Another king of the Strat - Yes Keith Richards - Yes right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Curves, Contours and Bodyhorns from 1994 (I think) - originally on ITV iirc.

That is it - Thanks
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    With THIS strat I can rule the world........... maybe............ and if someone buys it for me. 

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product/fender-stratocaster-olympic-white-pre-owned-1964-vg-l32042
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    edited April 12
    Neilybob said:
    With THIS strat I can rule the world........... maybe............ and if someone buys it for me. 

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/product/fender-stratocaster-olympic-white-pre-owned-1964-vg-l32042
    Oooh pretty. I don't generally go in for white Strats, but you'd have to prise that from my cold dead hands.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    If you want a young guy who uses a Strat, there’s one with his name on the headstock…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    If you want a young guy who uses a Strat, there’s one with his name on the headstock…

Yes and Swifty plays a Taylor - Pity Jacko didn't play a guitar built by Grover
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1227
    Also a pity Chappers doesn't play a Chapman stick.  
    Or does he?   ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    ICBM said:

Yes and Swifty plays a Taylor - Pity Jacko didn't play a guitar built by Grover
    John Martyn played a Martin…
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    Lot's of names here for Strat players and most of them played other guitars for large parts of their careers too. Gallagher played a Tele for a while, Blackmore a 355, Hendrix an SG, Hank a Burns etc. However, one name who hasn't cropped up in the list and I've never seen play anything but a Strat is Eric Johnson. Pound for pound probably one of the cleanest, finger accurate players out there. Superb talent and good enough to have a signature Strat named after him. 

Having said all that, my favourite Strat player has to be Ritchie Blackmore. He's the sole reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. His formal tuition from a young age allowed him to play pretty much any musical style. A musician's musician I'd say. 

Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple 9 Photograph by Concert Photos - Pixels

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383

Then there was a Strat documentary a few years ago - Can't recall if Sky Arts or BBC etc - More of a documentary as agaAnd guess who was a main contributor that night - Another king of the Strat - Yes Keith Richards - Yes right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This happens a lot when subjects are watered down for the masses. IIRC Keef was also mentioned in the Guardian article in the OP going on about Strats!
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23562
    Devil#20 said:
    Lot's of names here for Strat players and most of them played other guitars for large parts of their careers too. Gallagher played a Tele for a while, Blackmore a 355, Hendrix an SG, Hank a Burns etc. However, one name who hasn't cropped up in the list and I've never seen play anything but a Strat is Eric Johnson. Pound for pound probably one of the cleanest, finger accurate players out there. Superb talent and good enough to have a signature Strat named after him. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    Philly_Q said:
    Devil#20 said:

Fair point. However, and in reality, I've never seen him play anything but a Strat. I used to live in Dallas and made the trip down to Austin most weekends and used to see him playing in bars in and around 6th street a lot and at Antone's and the Continental etc. Saw some really good bands playing the bars which were free entry and just paying for your beer. Good times. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^ you'd be hard pushed to find any/many artist who is a one man guitar man (person) - Look hard enough and you'll find pics of any guitar hero playing another make/model, be it in the studio or live - But as an overview they are still associated with one main model - Today most of us would say EC is a Strat man and has been for over 50 years - But he has used various other Gibson models on recent albums 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2968
    Devil#20 said:
    Lot's of names here for Strat players and most of them played other guitars for large parts of their careers too. Gallagher played a Tele for a while, Blackmore a 355, Hendrix an SG, Hank a Burns etc. 

"Large parts" is really stretching it! Hendrix owned the SG Custom from late '68 and had replaced it with a custom flying V by 1970. He generally only played any Gibson live for a couple of blues songs, most of the set would be on a Strat. So not really a large part of his career.