Lawn replacement thoughts

What's Hot
Son lives in a rented property. It's a relatively new build estate with a typical rectangle of lawn space which has been neglected by all tenants and landlord. Son has added to the trouble by having a puppy which digs it up and uses it as a toilet.

So, he's now got a rectangle of dandelions and bare mud. The landlord has asked him to make improvement to it before the next inspection in the middle of May - I think this was requested in February but it's rained every minute since.

New turf would be an heavy undertaking and costly. It would need the top scraped off and disposed off, then fresh turf rolled out and maintained. Would probably work best but cost seems to be too much.

I've always believed that seed would give a better result, but what to do with the dandelions that are there? Weed killer might shift them but then that might delay the sewing of the grass seed. Part of me thinks that if we can get seed to germinate enough to fill the gaps, then mow it regularly then it should give a full green coverage even if much of it is dandelions rather than grass.

He'll need to keep the dog off, especially while it takes hold, but probably needs a long term solution for that too. I'm going to suggest building a gated fence to restrict the areas he can get to.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28516
    edited April 11

Fiskars stand-up weeder for the dandelions. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 681
    edited April 11
    Turf will be more uniform as it should be weed free already. More weeds will appear while the seed grows. 

If you can pour water where the bitch pees it will dilute it and stop it killing the grass. It's actually very good fertiliser. 

If you don't get the dandelions root out completely (or kill) they will come back. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18879
    Weedkillers will take too long to disperse before you can safely sow new grass or turf over.
    I'd do as you have suggested "...get seed to germinate enough to fill the gaps, then mow it regularly then it should give a full green coverage even if much of it is dandelions rather than grass."
    If you (your son) went round the existing visible dandelions & with an old 6-7 inch kitchen type knife stab the ground around the dandelions at about a 45º angle to cut the tap root below the soil. This will retard the growth enough to re-seed the area & outcompete them.
    As you say, they probably will return or blow in from other gardens, but you'll have established the new grass by then & it's just maintenance after that.
    You'll need netting to stop the birds scoffing the seed & keep the dog off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 284
    We have astroturf. The nice stuff looks great and is nearly maintenance free. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2510
    Bit much for a rental property no
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3520
    Not your sons problem if the lawn was damaged before he moved in.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 38
    robgilmo said:
    That's what I was thinking. Also, if renting, isn't the landlord responsible for maintenance on the place? (Mowing & such)
    Not sure as different rental properties have different agreements.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    pt22 said:
    We have astroturf. The nice stuff looks great and is nearly maintenance free. 
    Reminded me of a sadly departed mate of mine who thought he'd astroturf his back lawn with a 'budget' version when he found out one of the local school football clubs was replacing theirs. When he went to pick it up it was already rolled up so he humped it in the back of his estate car and took it home. On unrolling it to lay it he found that one of the white touch lines was running through it.  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    We astroturfed the "dog area" of our garden.  Easier to keep clean - "tidying up" after the animal, disinfecting/cleaning and they don't come back into the house with muddy paws.  Great solution.

Not great from a green (!) perspective perhaps, putting plastic onto, and then into, the soil, but if it's laid properly, any contamination should be minimised.

However, (a) it's not cheap and (b) you shouldn't really just stick a layer of astroturf down on the soil (which adds to the not-cheap aspect).  Probably not a cost that you'd want to incur as a renter unless you (he) plans on being there for a few years.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8732
    Ozzie744 said:
    robgilmo said:
    That's what I was thinking. Also, if renting, isn't the landlord responsible for maintenance on the place? (Mowing & such)
    Not sure as different rental properties have different agreements.
    Usually the tenant is responsible for maintenance. Sowing seed now isn’t going to give grass much time to grow before May. I’d fork it over, and remove obvious weed roots. That might be dad’s job. Then sprinkle with grass seed, and keep the dog off. This will demonstrate willing. There might even be green shoots by mid May. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • PennPenn Frets: 625
    edited April 11
    I would read the tenancy agreement and see what it says. 

Some of this stuff has changed with the renters reform bill giving rights around having pets but it sounds to me like the landlord is trying it on.  
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11945
    thick membrane with crushed plum slate on the top

Would that be acceptable?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18879
    thick membrane with crushed plum slate on the top

Would that be acceptable?
    They can make slate out of crushed plums? Isn't technology marvellous :-D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    Use the backside of a rake to flatten it as best as you can and fill in any remaining holes with some top soil, then give it a dose of lawn weedkiller/fertiliser.
    Cut it as required, and don't collect the cuttings.

Grass is hardy stuff and will recover quickly, especially now it's getting warmer.
    Just makes sure to keep the dog off it, or at least not leave it on the grass long enough to dig it up again.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Throw some wild seeds onto it and create a 'Bee friendly' natural habitat nature garden.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 681
    blobb said:
    Throw some wild seeds onto it and create a 'Bee friendly' natural habitat nature garden.
    Dandelions? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 582
    Dandelions are good for improving the soil, I’d do what you suggest with seeding and mowing.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Rule 1. You can’t have a dog and a nice lawn. 

If your son is responsible for the lawn, (unlikely imo but depends on the tenancy agreement) then astroturf would be the best and quickest solution. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    You can get 'dog rocks' for their drinking water, which calms the wee, killing the lawn; as previously mentioned, pour some water over wee to dilute anyway. 

We have just seeded our lawn in a few patches (under trees), and it has already started to take, so a decent seed designed for people with dogs can help. There are a few lawn seeds out there with more dog-resistant properties.

Lawn feed will also help, etc 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway