buying an omega?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• joneve said:
    Nothing wrong with the Quartz ones per se, but to me, if you're going to get a "lifer", spend a bit more and keep something that will last forever. ..
    ...and need regular maintenance which costs a packet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    edited October 2014
    joneve said:
    Nothing wrong with the Quartz ones per se, but to me, if you're going to get a "lifer", spend a bit more and keep something that will last forever. ..
    ...and need regular maintenance which costs a packet.

I wouldn't say every ten years (my recommended service interval) is 'regular'. And I think the genuine omega service is around £400-£500. With this, you get any parts replaced that need it and a full clean and service. So basically what you get back is a brand new watch for something that's about £40 a year, and will last for generations. Not really that much. I just had to fork out £400 on my car today for a faulty DPF filter...I'd rather spend that on my watch tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    A quartz watch is ersatz IMO, it's everything that's duff about watches. I'm at risk of going up my own harris here, I know.......

BUT a watch is engineering, cogs, springs, tensions and that - physics and mechanics. If you are into the idea of a "proper" watch, with all the history of amazing craftsmanship, it simply cannot be quartz. A quartz watch is simply a battery, a circuit board and maybe a few cogs in a fancy housing. Internally it is little different to the 5 quid digital you can pick up in a garage (OK, maybe a bit but you get my point)

A quartz Omega, unless its one of the X33 or similar (horrible IMO, might as well get a G Shock, but its a digital watch from the off), is a hideous thing. Its like taking a Monet painting and drawing a felt tip dick on it.

in the 70s/80s the Swiss watch industry nearly folded because of the introduction of the quartz watch, mainly through Seiko etc. But the watchmakers held fast, sticking to their convictions. And they were right, quality and heritage will always win out. The industry is now booming. YEah a qaurtz watch is accurate and easy to maintain, but it aint clever, it doesn't tick and whirr, the hands don;t sweep - it doesn't have a BEATING HEART!

jesus, I've become a watch nob. I'm waxing lyrical and romanticising a ferking watch......

lost cause for sure.

Stop this nonsense now please.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Anyone interested in vintage Omega Speedmasters may be interested in my ancient site about the ones I have. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom