It's my birthday soon

And I'm going to treat myself to either a guitar pedal (an xotic sp or boss od1x or ds1x).

Or...

A nice watch.

Let's say I have a budget of 100 quid.

How do you choose a watch? What makes a good watch good? I don't wear it to work (bare below the elbow) and, thank fuck, I don't dive so I don't need a rolex submariner.

Educate me.

Or tell me to get a distortion box. ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4632
    If i was going to buy a watch i'd get this - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-arnie-h558-h601-worn-man-himself-5-blockbuster-films-414030.html

not sure how much they cost but i think they're rad.

can't help on the distortion pedals though as arnie doesn't play the guitar
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Automatic Seiko. They're all excellent and you won't want to flip it after 6 months like most dirt pedals.

Or a Rat if you don't already have one, because everyone should have one!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Automatic Seiko. They're all excellent and you won't want to flip it after 6 months like most dirt pedals.

Why Seiko? At that price range, it opens up so many brands... I don't know why I'd pick one over another, if that makes sense?  

Already had a rat, and awesome though they are, I've got the distortion I need for rawk ;) the digital Boss pedals interest me a lot... Probably the OD1X more so, but you might have a point on the watch being a keeper...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Get a Dirty box of goodness and joy.

Then with the left over go get a cheap watch off the market.

(Can you tell I'm not a watch man)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2014
    I got a nice Skagen watch from my parents on my 19th earlier this year, which I chose and IIRC was about 80-90 quid.

Failing that, the Nobels ODR-1 is about 55-60 quid and kicks the shit out of almost every other overdrive I've ever heard.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    Some interesting design watches here.

If I needed more than one watch, I'd spend a lot of money there!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Bucket said:
    I got a nice Skagen watch from my parents on my 19th earlier this year, which I chose and IIRC was about 80-90 quid.

Failing that, the Nobels ODR-1 is about 55-60 quid and kicks the shit out of almost every other overdrive I've ever heard.
    That is a very VERY good looking watch. I have something irrational against multiple dials, although I do like a date box/dial. 

That looks better than most multi dial ones I've seen... :)

Ooo yeah, keep forgetting about the Nobels! How does it cope with single coils and more complex chords, like 9ths and stuff? I've got a Route 66 Tubescreamery thing which doesn't sound awful, but it's not all that 'clear' sounding for funky chords. Which is why I'm thinking of the digital boss one...
    edited October 2014
    Ooo yeah, keep forgetting about the Nobels! How does it cope with single coils and more complex chords, like 9ths and stuff? I've got a Route 66 Tubescreamery thing which doesn't sound awful, but it's not all that 'clear' sounding for funky chords. Which is why I'm thinking of the digital boss one...
    If you use singlecoils I'd say it's little short of essential. No overdrive I've ever used has sounded better with a Tele or Strat.

It's not really voiced like a TS at all - more bassy and less middly, almost like a distortion pedal but lower-gain. Although if you whack the gain up there are some awesome grungey rhythm sounds to be had. It's fantastic.

And yeah it's a lovely watch - small and light too, which is great because I can't stand wearing really heavy watches. And my wrists are quite small so big watches look a bit ridiculous on me. Now I'm just waiting for the leather to start cracking a bit, it'll look even better then :D
  • Bucket;397228" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:Ooo yeah, keep forgetting about the Nobels! How does it cope with single coils and more complex chords, like 9ths and stuff? I've got a Route 66 Tubescreamery thing which doesn't sound awful, but it's not all that 'clear' sounding for funky chords. Which is why I'm thinking of the digital boss one...

If you use singlecoils I'd say it's little short of essential. No overdrive I've ever used has sounded better with a Tele or Strat.

It's not really voiced like a TS at all - more bassy and less middly, almost like a distortion pedal but lower-gain. Although if you whack the gain up there are some awesome grungey rhythm sounds to be had. It's fantastic.
    Hmm... Cheap enough to take a punt on.

I'll definitely look into one mate, thanks. Does it have a lot of high end on tap? That's something I find a lot of overdrive pedals lacking in to be honest, they mostly seem to be all mids.

I've looked at the PGS demo and wow! It does sound really great, very useful sounding.

Not that I don't like the route 66 but I've gone off the tubescreamer sound.
    edited October 2014
    I'll definitely look into one mate, thanks. Does it have a lot of high end on tap? That's something I find a lot of overdrive pedals lacking in to be honest, they mostly seem to be all mids.

I've looked at the PGS demo and wow! It does sound really great, very useful sounding.

Not that I don't like the route 66 but I've gone off the tubescreamer sound.
    The Spectrum control is voiced pretty differently to a tone control, it sort of gets more scooped-sounding the higher you go and closer to a more traditionally voiced overdrive in the lower reaches. I'm not really sure which settings would yield the most high-end but I'm sure you'd find enough - certainly less mid too. I tend to have it set at about 12-1 o'clock, with the gain at about 11 o'clock. Sounds great.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    ThePrettyDamned;397181" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

Automatic Seiko. They're all excellent and you won't want to flip it after 6 months like most dirt pedals.

Why Seiko? At that price range, it opens up so many brands... I don't know why I'd pick one over another, if that makes sense?  

Already had a rat, and awesome though they are, I've got the distortion I need for rawk ;) the digital Boss pedals interest me a lot... Probably the OD1X more so, but you might have a point on the watch being a keeper...
    Because you can't get many autos at that price, and autos are far more awesome than quartz, particularly as gifts and "stuff to keep forever"-s, and most cheap autos are shite, but Seikod aren't :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited October 2014
    stickyfiddle;397294" said:
    [quote="ThePrettyDamned;397181"]stickyfiddle said:

Because you can't get many autos at that price, and autos are far more awesome than quartz, particularly as gifts and "stuff to keep forever"-s, and most cheap autos are shite, but Seikod aren't :)[/quote]

Concise answer.

Love it. I'll get shopping :) is there any seiko to avoid?

I quite like the one @holnrew got, maybe you can help!

Disclaimer - I have no taste... Hence asking for helpz.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Yeah Seiko is the way to go, there are so many choices within the budget. Or there's Orient, which I was looking at, quite like the look of the Mako.
    My V key is broken
  • Sod the Watch, you can look at the time on your Phone.

Now go to the Classifieds!

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Dirtbox all the way!
  • Well, we are at about 50:50 watch:dirtbox so far...!

• In which case I would like to add a vote for dirtbox ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Phil_aka_Pip;397906" said:
    In which case I would like to add a vote for dirtbox ;)
    Throwing all the spanners in the works.

All of them.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Well, we are at about 50:50 watch:dirtbox so far...!

You need to try to catch up with my dirty box collection.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;397910" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Well, we are at about 50:50 watch:dirtbox so far...! You need to try to catch up with my dirty box collection.........
    What do you recommend for a man who's into group sex parties?

Oh, you mean guitar dirty boxes...