Recordstore Day 2024

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1505
    euan said:
    Shame it’s become and absolute sham that gets abused by the touts getting multiple people to queue up and buy stuff for them. 
    That takes care of your Taylor Swift and Foo Fighters exclusives, no question.  Though if you are really after a very straight Bee Gees cover by the Foos... it's on Spotify.

As long as your tastes are slightly more obscure than that though... you should be OK.
    That’s not the case at all. You just need to look at Discogs or eBay at 11am on the day of RSD to see sellers with an obscene amount of the really limited releases that they just physically wouldn’t be able to get individually. 

I saw how this works as someone who has stood in a queue to get a particular record on RSD and watched multiple people walk out and hand that very record over to a man who was standing around the corner of the shop. That record was the original Dune soundtrack. Not quite Swift or FF. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Not for me any more, alas.

Last time I went it was a case of queuing for ages, and finally getting in only to find that just about anything I was interested in had been hoovered up and the prices were off the scale.

The icing on the cake was seeing eBay flooded shortly after with ‘mint, unopened’ copies of records I’d wanted with a healthy markup.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    Record Store Day is surely just yet another capitalist wheeze to get people to buy and accumulate more stuff they neither need nor probably really want.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    euan said:
    euan said:
    Shame it’s become and absolute sham that gets abused by the touts getting multiple people to queue up and buy stuff for them. 
    That takes care of your Taylor Swift and Foo Fighters exclusives, no question.  Though if you are really after a very straight Bee Gees cover by the Foos... it's on Spotify.

As long as your tastes are slightly more obscure than that though... you should be OK.
    That’s not the case at all. You just need to look at Discogs or eBay at 11am on the day of RSD to see sellers with an obscene amount of the really limited releases that they just physically wouldn’t be able to get individually. 

I saw how this works as someone who has stood in a queue to get a particular record on RSD and watched multiple people walk out and hand that very record over to a man who was standing around the corner of the shop. That record was the original Dune soundtrack. Not quite Swift or FF. 
    Well I got everything I wanted this year, last year I didn't... so I guess I could have been on here fuming and agreeing with you, but I lucked out :lol:

Anything "limited" seems to attract touts - that doesn't invalidate it in and of itself.

Personally, I'd say if your market is potentially 10,000... and you produce 1000 - you are robbing yourself to pay touts - but nobody listens to me...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Record Store Day is surely just yet another capitalist wheeze to get people to buy and accumulate more stuff they neither need nor probably really want.
    As I often find myself saying, if we are abolishing capitalism tomorrow, I'm in.

However for now, it pays all our wages...
    Cols said:
    Not for me any more, alas.

Last time I went it was a case of queuing for ages, and finally getting in only to find that just about anything I was interested in had been hoovered up and the prices were off the scale.

The icing on the cake was seeing eBay flooded shortly after with ‘mint, unopened’ copies of records I’d wanted with a healthy markup.
    Yeah that was my experience last year... and next probably! :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    beed84 said:
    Surely, RSD appeals more to the collectors and is, to some extent, built around the fear of missing out. Either way, I know vinyl is overpriced for the most part, but it's an enjoyable hobby, and there are worse things to spend your money on. If you budget and be sensible, it's no different to any pastime that requires dipping into your pockets and parting with your hard-earned.
    It started as a genuinely good idea, to supply exclusives to local shops so they wouldn't get screwed over by Amazon and... well Amazon basically.

As you say, it's no different to any other collectors hobby - it features desirable "things", it's got a selective clientele because it's not cheap, and there are easier, cheaper ways to achieve the same thing.

You can get all music ever for £12 a month - long may this continue.

My vinyl collection is reaching an end... just because if I buy many more Mrs Ed will divorce me.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9824
    edited April 22
    I've not really looked for a good few years now as I'd mostly only really be interested in Third Man Records stuff, and they don't seem to do interesting things any more, just x% off everything".

In fact i think the last time I made an effort, I messaged the best rated record shop in my area4 or 5 days in advance to ask if they were intending on stocking something (I forget exactly what it was), and if so I'll pop along to try and buy it and probably these other two things if you still have them. They replied a week after Record Store Day saying, We stocked one but it sold this afternoon. I've not bothered with them since
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom