ToneX One - new release. Mini pedal with Amp Captures, Verb, IR loading etc - Kemper killer?

What's Hot

Comments

• onlyatomonlyatom Frets: 35
    Finally got around to using this with the Tonex app last night. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't use the app to edit the on-device preset as you are playing?!?

You have to drag it in to your local library, make the change and then drag it back – which seems insane to me coming from Helix-land.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4867
    edited May 27
    onlyatom said:
    Finally got around to using this with the Tonex app last night. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't use the app to edit the on-device preset as you are playing?!?

You have to drag it in to your local library, make the change and then drag it back – which seems insane to me coming from Helix-land.
    That's right. I suspect it's the most wanted enhancement request to be able to edit the pedal directly. But I'm fairly comfy about editing the main parameters on the unit itself, TBH. 

Edit: Should have said - my Tonex is the full fat 3 buttons and lots of knobs one... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Going to send mine back..  not got the software up and running but after plugging it in to some speakers came to the conclusion it's not what I want. 

If anyone wants a brand new one for 173£ plus a few quid for postage let me know today.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    I took mine to a rehearsal, last minute thing, the default Super Reverb with a couple of pedals going into it. Sounded really good!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22543

I bought the IK Axe One audio interface last week as a downgrade from my RME UCXII. The Axe One is very impressive, no issues running at 64 samples thus far. It comes with Tonex SE and so far it's been very impressive in terms of sound. The user interface is horrible, no question. I've never liked the Amplitube UI and the Tonex and Tonenet experience is not much different. 

Seeing how Tonex SE performs does make me think of getting the One and using it as an cabless preamp/amp only. 

What's the compressor like on the Tonex One? 

• BasherBasher Frets: 1213

The Tonex compressor is great, IMO. It's very much a studio/transparent type but I use it almost exclusively in "post" mode (after the capture) to subtly even things out.

It's not as characterful in "pre" mode as some classic comps but that's fine by me. There are captures on Tone.net with various pedal comps included and they sound a bit more squashed, if that's what's required.

I was surprised by this as I thought Tonex captures didn't do time based effects. Obviously a compressor is different to a delay or modulation but is still changes over time according to attack/release characteristics. Maybe there's just enough analysis of this by the capture software? Or maybe it's just a snapshot of the sound and only gives an estimate of the compressor's effect?

Sorry, rambling now but, in summary, I like the Tonex compressor fine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    Basher said:

The Tonex compressor is great, IMO. It's very much a studio/transparent type but I use it almost exclusively in "post" mode (after the capture) to subtly even things out.

It's not as characterful in "pre" mode as some classic comps but that's fine by me. There are captures on Tone.net with various pedal comps included and they sound a bit more squashed, if that's what's required.

I was surprised by this as I thought Tonex captures didn't do time based effects. Obviously a compressor is different to a delay or modulation but is still changes over time according to attack/release characteristics. Maybe there's just enough analysis of this by the capture software? Or maybe it's just a snapshot of the sound and only gives an estimate of the compressor's effect?

Are the compressor captures just getting the sound of the compression rather than actually compressing?

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27071
    Basher said:

Are the compressor captures just getting the sound of the compression rather than actually compressing?
    It's far more likely that it's not a captured effect, but rather an algorithmic effect. Far less expensive in terms of processing.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    Basher said:

It's far more likely that it's not a captured effect, but rather an algorithmic effect. Far less expensive in terms of processing.
    I get that - I mean about captures that claim to include a compressor in the capture itself.

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

I get that - I mean about captures that claim to include a compressor in the capture itself.
    Ah, gotcha. Fair point.
    <space for hire>
    edited June 10
    I’ve had mine a couple of weeks despite some software related headaches, I like it. I’ve kept it in my Les Paul case as a practice/recording/DI tool with a couple of amps loaded, completely ignoring the stomp options.

It’s now just occurred to me that I can be using it as a single or dual channel boost/drive/fuzz pedal into my amp and there’s shit loads of ace pedals on Tonenet. Facepalm moment.
    Further to the above, I seem to have got past my software issues... I was trying to use it like HX Edit and it just doesn't work like that.  My new method is listening to samples on Tonenet, clicking Like on the ones I like. Then in ToneX I can view my Liked and drag them over, have a tweak on the software, or just drop it onto the pedal and tweak there.

I've been recording with it today, and playing through headphones, and I really am impressed.  I feel like I am getting much better amp sounds that I did with Helix, and that is not a criticism of Helix, I am a big fan.  My favourite amp of the day is a '64 AC30 with a Crowther Hot Cake running into it (by MTStudios)...awesome.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22543

I've been recording with it today, and playing through headphones, and I really am impressed.  I feel like I am getting much better amp sounds that I did with Helix, and that is not a criticism of Helix, I am a big fan.  My favourite amp of the day is a '64 AC30 with a Crowther Hot Cake running into it (by MTStudios)...awesome.
    Same here. On Sunday I set up a very simple Stone Roses rig: CE-2 plugin, 2x Tonex plugs supplying a Tube Screamer and Fuzz Face, a little bit of delay and reverb from other plugins, and a clean Tonex Mesa with cab. Absolutely brilliant sound, very happy with it all. Tonex and Helix Native together is very powerful. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2235
    edited June 12
    A few questions: 

1. Is there a decent amount of captures that are just the amp sans cabinet and mics? (I’m considering this as a preamp to run into a power amp and guitar cab) 

2. The output of the Tonex One. Assuming line level? Can it be switched? I’d need to run delays (on my pedalboard) and stuff after it before hitting the power amp so only line level would need another solution. EDIT: I’ve read the manual and it appears it can be switched between different output types which makes sense as you can use it as a standalone pedal into other pedals. So should be no issue. 

3. If I wanted to run the Tonex with captures of a full rig with cabinets and mics, (and use no amp on stage) how would I go about the line to instrument to line to PA shenanigans? (Assuming I want to run the following chain):

tuner -> wah/boost/vibe -> Tonex One -> Delay -> Reverb -> solo boost pedal -> Mixer. 

So all the mod and time based stuff happens after the cabs and mics. Not ideal, but will work. 

What interconnects and level adjusting boxes am I going to need?? 

EDIT. I also have a Two Notes Opus. I could just run the Tonex into my pedals and set the Opus input to “Instrument”. 

Same signal flow as above would be into power amp when I wanted to use on stage cabinets but with a capture of just the amp without cabs and mics obvs. 

Hope makes sense. 
    Nerine said:
    A few questions: 

1. Is there a decent amount of captures that are just the amp sans cabinet and mics? (I’m considering this as a preamp to run into a power amp and guitar cab) 

2. The output of the Tonex One. Assuming line level? Can it be switched? I’d need to run delays (on my pedalboard) and stuff after it before hitting the power amp so only line level would need another solution. 

3. If I wanted to run the Tonex with captures of a full rig with cabinets and mics, (and use no amp on stage) how would I go about the line to instrument to line to PA shenanigans? (Assuming I want to run the following chain):

tuner -> wah/boost/vibe -> Tonex One -> Delay -> Reverb -> solo boost pedal -> Mixer. 

So all the mod and time based stuff happens after the cabs and mics. Not ideal, but will work. 

What interconnects and level adjusting boxes am I going to need?? 

Same signal flow as above would be into power amp when I wanted to use on stage cabinets but with a capture of just the amp without cabs and mics obvs. 

Hope makes sense. 
    1 - Yes, all the decent captures I've looked at have had both cab and non-cab versions.

2 - Instrument-level - I use a Keeley Eccos after it, which can't handle line-level signals, and it's fine.

3 - You'll probably need a DI box at the end, before the mixer.
    <space for hire>
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    I'm using the following path:

Guitar > ToneX One as a drive pedal > GT1000 Core > ToneX Pedal into the loop

I'm getting a lot of feedback using the Tonex One into the front of the GT1000 Core even with the gain low. I've set the inputs in the GT using the input set up and it's within the the limits (no digital distortion).

I've tried putting the Tonex One into the other loop and placing it at the beginning of the path just after the Fx slot (for whah and other expression pedal fx). The feedback has been reduced but the sound has lost definition and high frequencies.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    fnpt said:
    I'm using the following path:

Guitar > ToneX One as a drive pedal > GT1000 Core > ToneX Pedal into the loop

I'm getting a lot of feedback using the Tonex One into the front of the GT1000 Core even with the gain low. I've set the inputs in the GT using the input set up and it's within the the limits (no digital distortion).

I've tried putting the Tonex One into the other loop and placing it at the beginning of the path just after the Fx slot (for whah and other expression pedal fx). The feedback has been reduced but the sound has lost definition and high frequencies.

Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Problem solved: I lowered the input gain on the GT1000 to 0Db and increased the input trim on the Tonex in the fx loop. No more feedback and the amps are sounding pretty good.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    When I first saw these I thought I could use it in the loop of my Boss GX-100 to add different/better amp options but I don’t think there’s any way to switch profiles other than stomping on it, right? No midi? In which case I don’t think it would work for that use case. 
    When I first saw these I thought I could use it in the loop of my Boss GX-100 to add different/better amp options but I don’t think there’s any way to switch profiles other than stomping on it, right? No midi? In which case I don’t think it would work for that use case. 
    That’s right, two amps on the A/B mode.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4867
    It's the original pedal that obeys MIDI. Amp changes via PC commands are seemingly instantaneous.