Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watching TV the other day...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5012
.. one of those Pawn Shop programs, I noted how the Americans say thirty four hundred for our three thousand four hundred.

Any other "differences" you can think of.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My biggest annoyance at the moment is film trailers say out November twenty three or November thirty one, when the hell did this start? It's always been the twenty third, or thirty first. It's just not right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    My biggest annoyance at the moment is film trailers say out November twenty three or November thirty one, when the hell did this start? It's always been the twenty third, or thirty first. It's just not right.
    So that doesn't mean out November 2033 or November 2031 then?  Does this mean that I've missed The Expendibles then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Handsome_Chris;397588" said:
    underdog said:

So that doesn't mean out November 2033 or November 2031 then?  Does this mean that I've missed The Expendibles then?
    Sorry to being to be the one to break it to you mate :D

• A difference I have noticed is how they all sing with an American accent where as here only about 95% of people sing with an American accent.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    Handsome_Chris;397588" said:
    underdog said:

Sorry to being to be the one to break it to you mate :D

Oh FFS!  Is the sequel out soon? I need to know so that I have time to catch up on the plot?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9744
    I love the way they drop the h when they say "herbs", as if it gives them a European air of sophistication. Hilarious!

I once had an argument with an American who used the term "burglarized" when referring to a break-in at somebody's house. No no no I said, the verb is "burgle", the person doing the burgling is a burglar and you don't need to create a new verb from a noun!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think they say that because of their street numbering system. Every block they start with a new hundred.

Another difference is that they have such perfect teeth, they look wrong.
    My V key is broken
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Saying aluminum instead of aluminium. wankers.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Although I do prefer fender to bumper... Bumper Strat would never have caught on...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Saying Antony, but somehow putting some extra Fs in there to make 'Antff feny'.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• underdog said:
    My biggest annoyance at the moment is film trailers say out November twenty three or [b]November thirty one[/b], when the hell did this start? It's always been the twenty third, or thirty first. It's just not right.

:-O
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Words like 'unfriend' grind my gears. And the spelling of any word which replaces 's' with a 'z'

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    I hate all this darned creeping Americanization.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Creeem freeesh.
    I could care less.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited October 2014
    The ize is an old English construct from the 16th century. We've only adopted -ise in the last few 100 years or so from French influences, whereas the Americans have stayed faithful to the pure English version.

I love it when Americans say 'excuse me' for sorry, so when they bump into you by mistake and want to apologise, they say 'Excuse me', and we think they're being rude and saying 'get out of my way' after they've walked into us! So we glare at them, but say sorry anyway. And they think we mean 'pardon' when we say sorry. So they say 'excuse me' again, just at the moment that we're getting out of their way anyway. So we think they're being even ruder. But then we think they surely can't be that rude, so we assume they mean 'pardon' for the 2nd 'excuse me', so we say 'I said sorry'. But they think we're not just repeating it but pointedly explaining that we'd already apologised, so they say 'well excuse ME', which angers us so we say 'Sorry?', etc.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got into big trouble when working in the States, when I stated I was going out to "smoke a fag".
    Also a girl in the office had come back off sick leave having had a "fanny tuck", she went on to explain 
    she could hold two pencils with her fanny. I said that is rather a lot of information, an jokingly said,
    your husband must be happy. She didn't quite get it.
    Then it dawned on us than fanny has quite a different meaning depending where we come from. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4366
    The feeling that anything over 100 years old is practically pre-historic.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    viz said:
    The ize is an old English construct from the 16th century. We've only adopted -ise in the last few 100 years or so from French influences, whereas the Americans have stayed faithful to the pure English version.

They need to get with the groove. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Is that not London's East End?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited October 2014

They also somehow manage to turn "Craig" into "Creg".