Advice on Re-String

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    @SlopeSoarer - I agree, a decent tool like those side cutters will last a lifetime. I'm not impressed by those multi tool winder-cutter things.
    Cheaper and better option would be decent pair of cutters and a separate winder.
     ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5500
    Cutters are cheap. Even good ones won't set you back much.And they are an essential.

As for string winders, try as I might I simply can't see the point. On a classical, maybe, but on a steel string, if you are getting any time saving worth mentioning from using a string winder, you are putting way too many turns on the post. (And I speak as the owner of several of those very low ratio Gotoh 21:1 tuners.)

I do own a couple of string winders, cheap nylon D'Addario ones, but they only earn a place in my string-change kits because they have a nifty no-scratch end pin puller built in, which is handy for stuck pins you can't push out from underneath (push and lift at the same time for these) or for guitars without an orthodox soundhole where you can't push the pin up. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3138
    edited April 27
    The one thing to remember when restringing an electro acoustic with a piezo bridge is to take care, if you do decide to take all the strings off at once, that the saddle stays where it is. The saddle rests on the piezo pickup and must be flat on it so equal pressure is applied over its length. If the saddle falls out it’s no big deal just to slot it back in place easily, but if after restringing you find the string balance to be un even just move the saddle in relation to the pickup so it balances. I always mark the saddle with a lead pencil so I know which way round it’s supposed to be and which is the bass end so when it falls on the floor it goes back correctly.That said most modern electro acoustics are well enough made for this not to be a problem some older ones with retrofits could be a nightmare!

Changing one string at a time is the way to go to avoid this
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641

So, no-one sells the guitar and buys a new one when the strings need changing ???

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    Possibly a slightly more helpful comment ...

If you do end up taking it to a professional for a string change, it might be worth asking them to give it a more general checkover, particularly if it's a brand new guitar.

So, any high/low frets, is the neck straight, is the nut cut nicely, is the action nicely playable, etc.  If they spend a bit more time on it, and tweak those aspects to your preferences, you might find it comes back as a new guitar all over again.

You could also ask them whether they'd show you their string changing technique too - save you a trip next time.   
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom