New Gibson Dual Falcon

What's Hot
VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
edited April 26 in Amps
On sale in the UK at £2495….looks a nice amp but the main circuitry is all PCB based with the preamp tube sockets actually on the board….seems expensive for what is probably a MIC amp?……the price is edging into PTP wired gear?….and more attention to construction…this does look like a mass produced bit of kit in fancy clothes …..

just noticed it says hand wired in Petaluma?……

well yes there are some wires that were done by hand

https://imgur.com/gallery/oFdlitA

Carr Rambler which isn’t that much dearer ….

https://imgur.com/gallery/vM0GDHj
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1152
    I think they’re being made by Mesa but they do seem spendy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
    edited April 26
    I think you’re correct ….Petaluma….I know Boogie use PCBs but the MK3 and MK4 combos I had did have all the hardware fastened to the chassis…..PCB mounted valve bases are a bit cheap skate….IMO 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1152
    The valves being inside the chassis seems a bit weird to me 
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
    Alex2678 said:
    The valves being inside the chassis seems a bit weird to me 
    Weird…..is that an anagram of wired ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 287
    Im not totally opposed to PCB for higher end amps. My Magnatone is PCB although hand soldered in the US from what I understand. 

My issue is the rumour that the larger of the Gibson amps have a fan in them? Even on the Andertons demo vid they mentioned it. That seems like an odd design choice, and maybe due to some function following form type of decision making. 

I do not want a fan in my amp running all the time. What happens if it stops working? I trust spinny things less than properly designed air-cooled circuits. Does the amp melt down if the fan stops?

Thankfully the Falcon 5 doesn’t have one, which would be the only one I’d consider when in the market next. 
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    pt22 said:
    My issue is the rumour that the larger of the Gibson amps have a fan in them? 

I do not want a fan in my amp running all the time. What happens if it stops working? I trust spinny things less than properly designed air-cooled circuits. Does the amp melt down if the fan stops?
    I take your point but I would imagine the fan will stop working long after other components have failed. Should be trivial to replace anyway.

I don't think a fan inside an amp is without precedent. Jesse puts a fan inside the Lazy J20 to cool the power transformer and I think some Mesa Boogies and Ampeg amps use a fan (I also seem to recall some people in a forum complaining about fan noise in  one of the Bogner amps).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    The Peavey Classic 50 (Bassman style) also has a fan
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    PCB amps can be as expensive and as well made as any P2P wired amp, it's no way to judge design and build choices or value for money either. That's just internet and guitarist hokum. A well designed and executed PCB amp can be as equally reliable and sound as good as any other, it's all in the design. Same as board mounted sockets if they're well designed.

Mesas do have some issues with board design which is a separate argument. Suhrs and Friedman's are PCB and are very reliable, reliable enough that Suhr include a lifetime warranty.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4848
    pt22 said:
    My issue is the rumour that the larger of the Gibson amps have a fan in them? 

I take your point but I would imagine the fan will stop working long after other components have failed. Should be trivial to replace anyway.

I don't think a fan inside an amp is without precedent. Jesse puts a fan inside the Lazy J20 to cool the power transformer and I think some Mesa Boogies and Ampeg amps use a fan (I also seem to recall some people in a forum complaining about fan noise in  one of the Bogner amps).
    The Genz Benz Black Pearl I had contained a fan that was switchable, great bit of design in an extremely well made and thought out amp.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.