Metal RCA 6V6's in a 5E3

What's Hot
springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
Friend of mine gave me a NOS pair of them.  They measure about the same as the new Tung Sol 6V6's I had in previously.  Idling at about 12W.  They sound very good, maybe a bit more attack on notes.  They smell different!  Hot metal I guess, and maybe a bit of 60+ year old paint burning in.

Anyone else tried them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 434
    I always thought this was a huge no-no?

No real justification, just remember being strongly advised against it once. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72503
    I always thought this was a huge no-no?

No real justification, just remember being strongly advised against it once. 
    Probably just about OK in a 5E3 Deluxe - the HT and screen voltages are quite low, although still above the valve ratings. Definitely a bad idea in a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, or even a BF/SF Champ, they will probably fail immediately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    From data sheets I found the spec was the same. I always had it in my head that the metal versions were lower rated though. The anodes are sitting at about 360V with around 18V on the cathodes. So 340 ish across the valve.  Have you seen data sheets that suggests that’s pushing them?

I run that amp with power scaling which works very well in a 5E3 so most of the time they’ll just be ticking over. 
    From data sheets I found the spec was the same. I always had it in my head that the metal versions were lower rated though. The anodes are sitting at about 360V with around 18V on the cathodes. So 340 ish across the valve.  Have you seen data sheets that suggests that’s pushing them?
    The datasheets do suggest that, but more importantly the practical experience of a large number of builders and techs is that the metal ones don't survive at Deluxe Reverb-type voltages but 6V6GTAs do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

What does a deluxe reverb run them at , 400+ ?they do sound rather good and as with my power scaling they’ll be probably under 200 most of the time apart from any outdoor festivals hopefully all is well.  
    What does a deluxe reverb run them at , 400+ ?
    Yes, typically around 420V.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    tFB Trader
    The metal screen is connected to pin1 which is usually the parking point for the grid-stopper on modern 5E3 builds. I would just confirm socket wiring before continuing.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    The metal screen is connected to pin1 which is usually the parking point for the grid-stopper on modern 5E3 builds. I would just confirm socket wiring before continuing.
    Good catch. I built the amp but can’t remember if I used pin 1. I’ll open up and check. Thanks!