Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6236
    Burt Bacharach & Hal David.
    Lennon & McCartney
    Brian Wilson
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    It's a broad church, a bit like the Partridge radio phone in "What's the best thing?"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 50
    Jimmy Webb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Difford & Tilbrook taking some beating. Richard Thompson’s written more than his fair share of corkers,
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    Stevie Wonder can sit proud amongst the list of major song writers - To write such classics as 'you are the sunshine of my live' 'for once in my live' and 'my cherie amour' when you are still just about  a teenager is remarkable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5107
    edited May 4
    NickB said:
    When Paul McCartney was asked “what’s it like being the best songwriter in the world?” He replied “Dunno, ask Neil Finn”. 
    There’s no evidence he ever actually said that. In fact in a Facebook live chat hosted by Tim Minchin, McCartney confirmed that the long-running rumour was not true. About 1.55 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjAo3v4Fis

And the answer to the OP’s question is Sir Paul McCartney! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Just because they’ve not been mentioned… Dolly, the Gibb bros and the various collaborations that have produced AC/DC’s catalogue. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Nick Cave
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4061
    NickB said:
    When Paul McCartney was asked “what’s it like being the best songwriter in the world?” He replied “Dunno, ask Neil Finn”. 
    There’s no evidence he ever actually said that. In fact in a Facebook live chat hosted by Tim Minchin, McCartney confirmed that the long-running rumour was not true. About 1.55 in the video.

I wonder if this one is true then?

Joking aside, I’ve actually just rewatched McCartney 321 on Disney, enjoyed it just as much as the first time round.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2644
    Attempting to round out the list: Alan Sparhawk, Nick Cave, Sonic Youth (not sure they attribute songs to individuals), etc.

Of course there's no such thing as 'best' and/or it's a highly subjective question.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11107
    tFB Trader
    Leonard Cohen
    Mercury and May
    Dylan 
    Neil Young

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• NickBNickB Frets: 280
    NickB said:

I did post it as a joke. But it still remains that Neil Finn is the greatest songwriter in the world. Fact.  =)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12542
    Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Gene Clark, L&M, Radiohead, Neil Finn, frank black Neil young, Kurt cobain and REM.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    Joni.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1539
    Let's not forget Chuck Berry.

There are lots of good performers and songwriters, some great, and then a few who stand taller than the rest. Mostly been covered but Lennon & McCartney, Cole Porter, Dylan, Bacharach & David, Holland Dozier Holland, Fats Waller, Stevie Wonder, Ray Davies, Curtis Mayfield, Carole King, Neil Yong, Nina Simone, Bowie and Ronson, Bjorn and Benny, Jorge Ben, Brian Wilson, Greg Sage, Lou Reed, Prince, Aimee Mann, ... -

We've already started to get to the second tier imo (still bloody amazing) whilst missing some from 'Top Table.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 603
    Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    Top five rock/pop for me Lennon McCartney, Mick and Keef, Paul Simon, Bacharach and David, Holland Dozier Holland.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Stock, Aitken and Waterman
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 541
    edited May 4
    Ignoring commercial success and going for just my personal choice it has to be Peter Hammill.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    Being the best songwriter and writing the best songs seem oddly like a very different thing in my mind. Great songwriters are the Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Joan Armatrading, McCartney, Billy Joel, James McMurtry, Gil Scot-Heron, Stevie Wonder type list. But the best songs can be the simplest ingredients that are performed perfectly or just happen to float your boat.