Who's written the best songs?

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    I'm shocked Tom Petty hasn't been mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 118
    lemmy kilmister.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    mooncat said:
    lemmy kilmister.

Are there any other lyrics other than 'Ace of Spades?' lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    Bidley said:
    I'm shocked Tom Petty hasn't been mentioned.
    …or John Fogerty. A surprising number of instantly recognisable and catchy songs.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4298
    Kip winger ,Reb beach & Paul Taylor  of Winger  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5636
    Anyone who reckons Paul McCartney is "the greatest" has never listened to his most awful dross (such as Silly Love Songs, not to mention many others almost equally bad). 

Mind you, I said Dylan (unquestionably a far finer artist than McCartney could ever hope to be) and Dylan has turned out some shockers in his time. 

But the reality of McCartney is that he was never much on his own, and nor was Lennon. They turned out just a handful of top-class songs each. As a partnership, they were awesomely good: Lennon's acid taming McCartney's sickly sweet, McCartney's sugar making Lennon palatable. And all the time you had George in the background keeping them honest with with a pile of talent and Ringo keeping everything down to earth and never, ever getting the timing wrong. Just a great band. 

But the correct answer is still Bob Dylan. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1419
    Ringo Starr
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3117
    Tim Smith
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    Chinn and Chapman.

(I'll get my coat...)
    Flanders and Swann

(get mine while you're there)
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 88
    Has anyone mentioned Donald Fagen??? Surely up on the top shelf somewhere??
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    Tannin said:
    Anyone who reckons Paul McCartney is "the greatest" has never listened to his most awful dross (such as Silly Love Songs, not to mention many others almost equally bad). 

Mind you, I said Dylan (unquestionably a far finer artist than McCartney could ever hope to be) and Dylan has turned out some shockers in his time. 

But the reality of McCartney is that he was never much on his own, and nor was Lennon. They turned out just a handful of top-class songs each. As a partnership, they were awesomely good: Lennon's acid taming McCartney's sickly sweet, McCartney's sugar making Lennon palatable. And all the time you had George in the background keeping them honest with with a pile of talent and Ringo keeping everything down to earth and never, ever getting the timing wrong. Just a great band. 

I would question that; Bob Dylan wrote decent prose for his time, but to call his warbling "songs" is a stretch.
    His best song is Mr. Tabourine Man, which is hardly the height of the art.
    Now, if the question was "Who thinks he's the greatest songwriter ever", then that correct answer might indeed be correct.

Incidentally, has anybody mentioned Page & Plant?
    They wrote some great stuff.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Kris Kristofferson. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3070
    prowla said:
    Tannin said:

I would question that; Bob Dylan wrote decent prose for his time, but to call his warbling "songs" is a stretch.
    His best song is Mr. Tabourine Man, which is hardly the height of the art.
    Now, if the question was "Who thinks he's the greatest songwriter ever", then that correct answer might indeed be correct.

Dylan sounds awful, but his songs are superb.

The trick is to listen to other people performing them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    prowla said:
    They stole some great stuff.
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    edited May 5
    So has every recording artist ever been named yet?  I guess not, only five pages.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3684
    edited May 5
    Nick Drake? Considering his circumstances, or , Beethoven, I mean, the man was deaf?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    And lets not forget people like Art Blakey, Miles Davis , Charles Mingus , John Coltrane, Laurel Aitken , Leonard Cohen, Pablo Casals , Stan Getz , Dave Brubeck, Thelonius Monk , Van Morrison , Chick Corea, or the superb Sonny Clark but to name a few?
    There is soo much good music out there.

Oscar Peterson and Clark Terry, one of my fave albums.
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:
    They stole some great stuff.
    FTFY

I'll cross the ball and you head it in! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lightnin Hopkins wrote some corkers too, Blind lemon Jefferson, Frankie Lee Sims? Careful though, page and plant might re-record their music and call it their own.

If you do anything today, l;isten to this.