Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone else been spammed by Guitars.co.uk?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• viz said:
    Who is this chap? I've never heard of him, never had an email from him.
    Just a guitar shop owner trying to run a business and feed his wife and kids. 
    Prince Ntombe who urgently and humbly needs your help to transfer 10,000,000 (ten million) US Dollars from a secret account in Zurich, Switzerland to allow him to take his rightful throne is probably just trying to feed his wife and kids, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Prince Ntombe who urgently and humbly needs your help to transfer 10,000,000 (ten million) US Dollars from a secret account in Zurich, Switzerland to allow him to take his rightful throne is probably just trying to feed his wife and kids, too.
    I don't know Prince Ntombe personally, but I do know Richard. He's made mistakes and been a bit misguided sometimes, but really he is a decent bloke. 
  • viz said:
    I don't know Prince Ntombe personally, but I do know Richard. He's made mistakes and been a bit misguided sometimes, but really he is a decent bloke. 
    He hasn't been a decent bloke towards me. He has been nasty and spiteful. He is spamming, he knows he is spamming, and he is trying to justify it - if he is trying to feed his wife and kids he should do it within the law or live with the consequences - but he doesn't want to accept the consequences. He just makes excuses and blames other people for his own poor behaviour.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    edited September 2013
    He hasn't been a decent bloke towards me. He has been nasty and spiteful. He is spamming, he knows he is spamming, and he is trying to justify it - if he is trying to feed his wife and kids he should do it within the law or live with the consequences - but he doesn't want to accept the consequences. He just makes excuses and blames other people for his own poor behaviour.
    and others, if I recall the episode back on MR or perhaps even before that on Intermusic.............. he didnt emerge from that particularly well, quite childlike in his 'arguments'  IIRC -  and not sure he's ever made an effort to "put it right"  - which for a man trying to run a business.............. alienating a whole forum of potential customers and influencers.................isnt the brightest of moves

Perhaps now is that opportunity........... ?? 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73537
    edited September 2013
    Then he shouldn't piss off his former and potential future customers.

I've never bought anything from him, I've never been to his forum, and I'm not getting spammed, but having read this thread there's no way I will *ever* buy anything from him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• viz said:
    I don't think "being a decent bloke" is a very good excuse for poor behaviour.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited September 2013

That's weird. I posted that post several posts ago and it didn't work. Then it appeared in duplicate. This forum software tries to be too clever.

I don't think "being a decent bloke" is a very good excuse for poor behaviour.
    its the one Ive used for years
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10826
    LOL justly awarded.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 400
    I think that Richard probably is a decent bloke in the 'real world', and I'm sure that his intentions are good. However I think he lets his pride get in the way when dealing with customers or potential customers on the web. As most of us who deal with customers on a daily basis know, sometimes you have to swallow that pride and agree with the customer even though you think they are being unfair or unreasonable. From what I have seen Richard finds that difficult and then gets upset and becomes aggressive toward customers. He doesn't seem to deal with criticism well.
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's trying to put this right by deleting all accounts that haven't been used in the past 12 months.

Now I've never set up or moved a website so I've no idea what's involved, but to me it looks like an honest mistake. He had a database of people who had at somepoint in time signed up there, and all he's done is move that across to his new site...but failed to realise that the default settings would mean all these notifications flying around.

• He's trying to put this right by deleting all accounts that haven't been used in the past 12 months.

With a fun "quality over quantity" parting shot.

Now I've never set up or moved a website so I've no idea what's involved, but to me it looks like an honest mistake. He had a database of people who had at somepoint in time signed up there, and all he's done is move that across to his new site...but failed to realise that the default settings would mean all these notifications flying around.

That hasn't worked then. If he knows there is an issue, why doesn't he just stop spamming until it is sorted?
    or use the 'over spamming'  capability to send out an apology email ??   
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29407
    not_the_dj said:

To be fair it probably is just incompetence on his part, but that rather than apologise up front, suspend all the emails and put it right look at his reaction - call people names (and ban them) if they point out his mistake, act as if it's everyone else's fault not his, and even now make a snide remark and a half-arsed attempt to fix it rather than do it properly like a grown-up.

This was pretty much his tactic whenever anyone complained about a poor experience shopping with one of his several failed businesses - first reaction was always out-of-proportion aggression.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 425
    edited September 2013

bertie said:
    or use the 'over spamming'  capability to send out an apology email ??   
    He did. 

"If you have not logged in for over 12 months I have deleted your account.No more "spam" (notifications) so only people who in theory are remotely ineterested in the forum should now get anything at all.."

And then he carried right on spamming me
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    ah right,   as the kids say   "my bad"

:)

EDIT -  hardly an "apology" tho..............  

:D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader

That's weird. I posted that post several posts ago and it didn't work. Then it appeared in duplicate. This forum software tries to be too clever.

It got flagged as spam
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom