Dream Adventure?

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    VimFuego said:
    last time I went to Cambridge we used the park and ride into town and there was this monumentally posh father and son (son about 10 I guess), and the dad was explaining to the son how disappointed he was in him cos he'd fluffed his interview at this top boarding school or something. The son was most upset at letting his dad down and was saying he'd do better next time. This was about 15 years ago, so I guess he's now a tory MP or something equally vile.

Sorry, got distracted, what was the question again?
    Have you ever brought your mum to Cambridge for pizza and a hair cut.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15842
    robgilmo said:
    VimFuego said:
    last time I went to Cambridge we used the park and ride into town and there was this monumentally posh father and son (son about 10 I guess), and the dad was explaining to the son how disappointed he was in him cos he'd fluffed his interview at this top boarding school or something. The son was most upset at letting his dad down and was saying he'd do better next time. This was about 15 years ago, so I guess he's now a tory MP or something equally vile.

Have you ever brought your mum to Cambridge for pizza and a hair cut.
    she liked pineapple on her pizzas, not sure Cambridge was ready for that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1237
    I would love to spend a year in the mountains of Canada spending the summer months mountain biking and hiking and the winter months snowboarding.  There's a lot of things that would need to happen for me to be able to do that though with fitness being the most urgent :-)
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5066
    edited May 6
    I did one of mine last year, well Jan 2023. Tour Down Under week in Adelaide. Sydney Bridge climb, cage diving with Great Whites at Port Lincoln, scuba on the Barrier Reef from Port Douglas, Blue Mountains, Crocs by Tribulation Bay, Daintree Rainforest, downhill biking down Mount Lofty and riding up Norton Summit, watched a Big Bash in a proper bogan pub, visited Uluru at sunrise "and" sunset, and went to Australia Zoo! And, best bit, I met a Possum on the street in Brisbane :
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5627
    edited May 7
    Offset said:
    Sporky said:
    I once went to Cambridge and back in a day. My mum said it couldn't be done. 
    Not if you live in Tasmania, no.
    Piece of cake. Hour and a half round trip for me, maybe two hours on a busy Friday afternoon during the tourist season.

(Right click and open in new tab to see full-size.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1946
    I pretty much did my bucket bucket list before I was 50. Can't think of anything I'd want to do now. Boring I know.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1091
    I've never been that into holidays and travel (although I have done a bit). I'd probably rather do some gigs with my band, so maybe a tour abroad  which is something I've never done. That would be cool (and I suppose if this is a fantasy then we'd get paid and sell loads of merch, and get to stay in hotels and mad stuff like that!!!). 

I have been to Cambridge with my mum. Would do it again.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29108
    I'd quite like to go round New Zealand again. Or Canada.

But I'd need a benevolent dictator in charge. Someone who knows when I need lunch and finds somewhere, and makes me actually go into places. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12502
    edited May 7
    I’d go back to New Zealand too, fantastic country with some gobsmacking sights. Spent six weeks there touring round both islands with my wife, bro and sis in law. My wife and me both said if we’d been younger we’d have thought about emigrating there, it’s that good. They also have THE best comedy accent…  “fush’n’chups” etc. My bro in law and me were almost crying with laughter when one Airbnb host said to us “treat the place as yer own, you’re welcome to sit on me dick anytime you like” (as in deck, in the garden). 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27682
    edited May 7
    We haven’t done NZ yet. It’s on the list but it’s really far away so nowhere near the top. 

Similarly there’s a lot of South America I’d really love to visit, but from us it’s a full day’s travel at v least, so not likely to happen till we’re based in Europe again
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4375
    Climb El Cap in Yosemite. Would be a stretch of my 'skills', but would love to give it a try at some point.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HaychHaych Frets: 5775
    I'd like to ship my motorcycle to North America and tour the US and Canada.  Would love to do the Dempster Highway and the Dalton Highway.

If money was no object then I'd probably purchase a newer bike for the trip, my old R is ok for paved roads but taking it into the Arctic tundra would probably kill it.

Wouldn't mind riding down through Central America and on into South America but it becomes a bit more take-your-life-in-your-own-hands-and-take-your-chances so probably wouldn't risk it.  

While I did enjoy the Long Way series, I find Ewan and Charlie a bit over protected and detached.  There are plenty of people doing harder, more arduous and dangerous Moto-adventure stuff solo, without a back-up crew and an office full of people preparing VISAs and onward travel, and still making entertaining and informative YouTube vids with just a GoPro.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1119
    Road trip across America, visit every state and live the lifestyle over there.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    My list of places still to visit grows shorter but the list of places to go back to grows longer.

When I was self-employed I could arrange things so that I could go off for a couple of months, sadly covid put paid to that and I'm not sure that I could live out of a backpack for that long now.

The Silk Road remains on the list, as does Mali and the bits of central and south America I haven't seen yet.
  • vizviz Frets: 10770
    VimFuego said:

Were you that scruffy bloke? That was me and my son you heard.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7115
    tFB Trader
    Every dream I have is an adventure. Last night I was starring in a play with an old school friend but hadn't memorised my lines. My daughter had the script but wouldn't give it to me.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1552
    I went to South America with my then-fiancee and travelled up and down the continent for 50 days. Looking back, all we can think is "ok, that was dangerous, and that too, and that too". Got a bit too close to some giant spiders and scorpions in Chiclayo, played football at 4,200 m altitude near Jujuy, almost got mugged in Aguas Calientes, got somehow involved in local politics in Cordoba, shared mate – something I brought back to York – with someone who claimed to have met John Lennon (lol), got bitten by a jumping spider in Foz do Iguaçu (those suckers were way more aggressive than the giant ones in Peru), visited Atahualpa Yupanqui's house in Cerro Colorado and then couldn't find our way out of the cerro... met shitloads of fascinating people along the way. Thankfully, my in-laws don't know 10% of this. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23551
    Sporky said:
    But I'd need a benevolent dictator in charge. Someone who knows when I need lunch and finds somewhere, and makes me actually go into places. 
    I can relate to that.  In principle I'm not opposed to travelling ("adventuring" might be a bit strong), but I really hate the "admin" part, finding places to stay and places to eat.
    edited May 7
    Haych said:
    I'd like to ship my motorcycle to North America and tour the US and Canada.  Would love to do the Dempster Highway and the Dalton Highway.

If money was no object then I'd probably purchase a newer bike for the trip, my old R is ok for paved roads but taking it into the Arctic tundra would probably kill it.

Wouldn't mind riding down through Central America and on into South America but it becomes a bit more take-your-life-in-your-own-hands-and-take-your-chances so probably wouldn't risk it.  

While I did enjoy the Long Way series, I find Ewan and Charlie a bit over protected and detached.  There are plenty of people doing harder, more arduous and dangerous Moto-adventure stuff solo, without a back-up crew and an office full of people preparing VISAs and onward travel, and still making entertaining and informative YouTube vids with just a GoPro.
    They had a very good crew behind them which for the most part stayed in the background which created this air of adventure around the bikers, the long way around I thought was good, The  long way down I thought was rushed and didnt have the same impact as the former series, it was glamorised and polished way too much.

I remember not long after it was released I was driving through the Dolomites in my old Land Rover, it was a narrowish , windy pass, another English Land Rover passed us on the road going the opposite direction, battered old thing with a canoe strapped to the roof, we both stopped and rolled down our windows however traffic behind us meant we couldnt talk much, I am convinced to this day it was Ewan, red haired Scottish geezer with a woman passanger, it  looked just like him.
    This is an interesting sries to watch,driving Mongolia through the Gobi desert.