LOL's on serious posts - maybe we just need facepalms back?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I'm sorry but Drew, you brought this on yourself. You stormed into my quite serious thread about fatherhod and started bringing it down to your usual childish level so you kinda deserve it. Just because you don't like a subject, that gives you the right to be a dick on the thread, does it?

Rule number 1: don't be a dick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited October 2014
    Jetfire said:
    I'm sorry but Drew, you brought this on yourself. You stormed into my quite serious thread about fatherhod and started bringing it down to your usual childish level so you kinda deserve it. Just because you don't like a subject, that gives you the right to be a dick on the thread, does it?

Rule number 1: don't be a dick.
    Oi... I'm not saying don't be a DICK. Why fucking even bother to respond if you're not going to read what I wrote? Having an opinion is fine, having a well represented and thoughtful opinion is the goal, but sometimes people don't do that and they're kneejerk and they act like dicks.

That's fine. I accept that. I don't want nor expect people to curb that. It's just people.

But the snide hiding behind some buttons on a website is the issue here. What you're doing is called misdirection. You've already got some wisdoms for your ill thought out and completely illogical attack on me. Well done you boob. But maybe give it some more thought and go back and read what I ACTUALLY FUCKING SAID.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2014
    Facepalms were ostensibly quite a good idea, but they got seriously out of hand. I don't want them back.

My own take on it is that I became less willing to speak my mind in case my words elicited a facepalm, which I wanted to avoid as much as possible, so the danger is that our posts become increasingly insipid and we don't say what we really mean. Unless we just don't give a shit about facepalms - but I did. It does sting a bit to know that someone thinks you're enough of an idiot to click that button. Even if it was just a joke about Bigsbys. I dare say I'm not the only one who feels like that.

Then, of course, there's the temptation to abuse the facepalm button, as happened on numerous occasions.

As for the lol thing... I get how it's annoying, I don't think it's happened to me in that context yet but of course I can see what bugs people about it. Sometimes, though, a serious post might contain such a great, hilarious turn of phrase that I can't resist loling it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jetfire said:
    I'm sorry but Drew, you brought this on yourself.
    This is the bit I find just utterly retarded - YES INTERNET I USED THE WORD RETARDED - about your response here Jetfire. What exactly did I bring on myself? I caused people to be snide and passive aggressive and lacking of what you might call testicular fortitude?

No mate. You've got it utterly wrong. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelsies because you love being a dad or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that rather than tackle disagreements like real people should - directly and up front, and respectfully if possible, they'd rather sit back and titter to themselves about just how ironic and satirical they're being.

Bollocks to that. If I think anyone is being a douche, I'm going to tell them. And I fully appreciate that you and the other daddies feel the same about me when it comes to me bursting into a thread and making some retarded joke.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I've had the odd 'ironic' LOL and am not far off a 1000 LOLs in total - I'll take any donations - I'm not proud....

And to be fair, when I've considered something posted to be well and truly worthy of a Facepalm, I've 'wowed' it and posted that I have award a 'Wow' for all the wrong reasons.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    And I've locked this thread.

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.