The 'Weapons of Choice' for today.... [pics preferred]

What's Hot

Comments

• Pete.RPete.R Frets: 480
    Last night these two had a meeting with the Mesa Express+ 5:25

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    edited July 13
    Spent the day getting to know my new (to me) Fender Inoran Jazzmaster. 

Love the jazz circuit for evening ambient droning noodling. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2980
    edited July 14
    Put some fresh Rotosounds on my Guild S-60 yesterday and it's been getting a lot of attention today. Also the PodGo which I hadn't switched on since getting out of hospital in March! Really enjoyed both, and found I was switching the Railhammer into single coil mode a lot, which I haven't tended to do so much in the past. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5266

Got these two back from storage with an old band. Upgraded pick ups on both
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 260
    edited July 17
    Starting to think about a new tune, so this one is getting a turn

edited July 16
    Just got back in from London. 

Taking my Gretsch G5410 Rat Rod out for a spin into hot Bassman themed Engl Classic 50 while wife is out at yoga class. 

Comparing it to my G5420T.  Two very similar (almost identical looking) guitars, which sound very very different, and feel very different in the hands. 

Both great guitars though (once properly fettled, and they do need some fettling). 

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4101
    My R8 (again) into my new Strymon Timeline.

• kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 971
    Yesterday, the black Lead I

with this:

Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.

Die Schwarzen klingen einfach am Besten !

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    Pete.R said:

The black one sounds the best?
  • guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 610

with this:

Nice collection! It’s makes my two copies from the 80’s look silly!

Pete.R said:

The black one sounds the best?
    To be honest, the black one was the first that I found when looking for a Lead to take to rehearsals. I prefer maple necks but, so be it.

with this:

Nice collection! It’s makes my two copies from the 80’s look silly!

Nothing silly about a guitar that gets played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    edited July 18
    It has been an acoustic day for me.

Freshman / Manuel Ferrino MFAC Slimline (70mm depth) electro-acoustic nylon string.
    A Grade Solid Sitka Spruce soundboard, back and sides laminated mahogany, rosewood fretboard, Fishman Isys / Sonicore piezo system.

The last time I had this out the battery had leaked but I didn't have time to dismantle and clean it all out.  I had time today so I did that then I shaved the saddle down a bit, oiled the fretboard, buffed the fret ends, and restrung it with ........ Harley Benton High Tension strings (£3.33 each).  YES! These sound easily as good as the Martin ones I had on before.  The odd sticky-out bits at the rear of the bridge are brass guitar string ball ends with small washers and I just tie the strings in a knot.  Works just as well as traditional tying off and much quicker to execute.  This sounds great through an acoustic amp, and it's actually loud enough and sounds nice enough to play unamplified around the house.

Walden G630CE "Grand Auditorium" Steel String Electro-Acoustic from the Natura range.
    Solid Western Red Cedar soundboard, laminated Indian Rosewood back and sides and headstock veneer, mahogany neck with glass fibre reinforcement rods, rosewood fretboard and bridge, Abalone rosette and headstock inlay, Fishman Classic 4 undersaddle system.

This was one of the originals from 2008 before Walden disappeared from the market and was later reintroduced in 2019.  It has a beautiful big but mellow sound when strung with Thomastik-Infeld SB111 Spectrum Bronze 11-52.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1520
    First time I've used this guitar myself on a session: Gretsch Richard Fortus White Falcon, into a Matchless HC30 and a Matchless Clubman. Controversial opinion - I think Richard Fortus and Gretsch have possibly designed the ultimate Gretsch together. The pickups are fantastic on this one.

First time I've used this guitar myself on a session: Gretsch Richard Fortus White Falcon, into a Matchless HC30 and a Matchless Clubman. Controversial opinion - I think Richard Fortus and Gretsch have possibly designed the ultimate Gretsch together. The pickups are fantastic on this one.

They look like HS Filtertrons,  I’ve got a set in my humble G5420. Excellent pickups.  

Lovely falcon btw, not seen that model before.  :)
    TheMarlin said:

They look like HS Filtertrons,  I’ve got a set in my humble G5420. Excellent pickups.  

Lovely falcon btw, not seen that model before.  :)

They're a special version wound just for this model - they spent aeons dialling them in for him during Guns n Roses rehearsals. Whatever they've done, they've absolutely nailed it - I have a few Gretsches with both TV Jones and Gretsch pickups, and these are the best of the lot.

There's a really good video on YouTube where Richard Fortus goes through all the tweaks they made for his model. It's well worth watching - reminds me a lot of the Johnny Marr Jaguar one.
    edited July 20
    Day two of tracking guitars for an album project, and a studio debut for this absolutely incredible instrument, my new M.B. Guitars 62S. There are some lovely instruments in the studio with me just now, but the M.B. ended up being used on about 80% of the tracks yesterday, with my Asher T90 doing the rest. Huge, woody sound for a strat.