Vinyl

What's Hot
Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
Having been inspired (and slightly brainwashed) by Mr Youngs Waging Heavy Peace I decided to climb up in the loft yesterday and drag down the old stereo and all my old vinyl.

So after lots of sweating and telling the kids how much better the records would sound I finally get it all set up, the bloody speakers don't work........gutted.

The quest today is now either hunt for some new speakers and no doubt a new turntable....ocd, or buy a  jack adapter and plug the Bose mini into the headphone socket.

I reckon it`ll be new speaker time, e-bay hunting has already started. I have a feeling I should have left them nicely wrapped up in the loft.

Please someone tell me it`ll be worth it once the crackling opening bars of DSOTM starts!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 468
    only if its the quad version
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    and you've got some decent speaker cables.

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    Unidirectional speaker cables, mind.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And a Russ Andrews mains cable.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    There's a couple of other threads concerning vinyl..... might be worth a look.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    It would be worth it for me as I have 450 vinyl album that I can't play right now. I annoy Mrs A as well by insisting that they live in the bedroom as I fear the heat in the loft would ruin them
  • Last time I looked for speakers on ebay there were a lot of KEFs available for a decent price. I quite like KEFs. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited November 2014
    Connected the Bose mini through the headphone socket as a start........love it, it`s like being a kid again thumbing through albums etc.

My kids are amazed at the size of an album and thoroughly mocking the whole thing but this is how people got to be "into" music isn`t it? Though they are now even looking at the sleeve notes etc rather than clicking on a link and listening through you choob.

Sound wise, can`t hear much difference to be honest, maybe a little less muddy, but would imagine through a real good system and excellent speakers it would be a different story.

This could become expensive!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Speakers don't usually fail or it is unusual for both to fail at the same time. Warning, vinyl is highly addictive and can result in serious money being spent on albums and the equipment to play those albums.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• whereabouts are you? I have some Tannoy 603s doing nowt but not too happy posting,
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    This has opened a can of worms now, have been searching the bay for a decent turntable now as I like those stand alone ones like the pics shown above.
    whereabouts are you? I have some Tannoy 603s doing nowt but not too happy posting,

That`s a very kind offer, I`m in Surrey (Epsom) but get up to Oxford most days.
  • You can pick up a used Linn Basik for cheap.

If getting up to take the tone arm off isn't your thing, you will need an auto-resetting tonearm.  Love the Beo stuff, but not sure how well the tonearm is balanced. It's prolly ok but an aftermarket cartridge may destabilise it, and Beo cartridges are ridiculously expensive if the prices today are comparable to how they were in the day.

I personally go for a counterweighted tonearm with a tracking control.  Also, try to get a turntable set-up record.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Cacofonix said:
    Love the Beo stuff, but not sure how well the tonearm is balanced. It's prolly ok but an aftermarket cartridge may destabilise it, and Beo cartridges are ridiculously expensive if the prices today are comparable to how they were in the day.
    That series of B&O is servo-driven linear tracking, and as far as I know no other cartridges will fit. That is one of the major disadvantages of later B&O gear.

I definitely wouldn't recommend buying one as a stand-alone turntable with a non-B&O system either, you'd need to modify the connection which is on a DIN and includes the remote control from the main amp/receiver unit.

I love mine, but it's something you commit to as a full system - these days, almost a complete home lifestyle choice ;) - rather than a separates hi-fi.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nice gear lads. The old Ariston RD11.AR and Thorens  turntable's are well worth searching out.
     My hi fi is a old now,but I still have a few gems.Some need repairing.
    Linn LP12 Ittok Suprex 900
    Musical Fidelity MX pre and  P270 power amps.I also have a MF 3B pre.
    Naim 42 and 140 amps.
    Nad 3020
    Musical Fidelity A1 (only one channel working).I must fix it someday.
    Radford pre and power amps(not valve unfortunately).
    Marantz 63 CD
    Nakamitchi 482 tape deck.
    Linn Kans (2 sets).
    Tannoy Eatoms(10 inch duel concentric's).
    Tannoy DC2000's,lovely.
    JR149 cabinets and tweeters,need bass drivers.
     It's probably well off the mark,nowadays,but I'd rather spend my money on a guitar or guitar amp.
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/100_0760.jpg
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/preamps.jpg
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/powerampmfp270.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow nice.
  • Mine has never been put away. In fact my "musical" daughter goes through my collection and uses it.
    Rega planer., A a R Cambridge amp
    , hey rook Hb 1 speakers that I reconed myself a few years back..
  • How did you recone them. Is it an easy job?
  • I bought a kit from the US. They were completely buggered so as they were a right off , I thought why not. The kit cost about £20 including post. In my case the paer cones were fine. It was the rubber that had perished.
    It came with instructions. It was just a case of taking my time, working in a very clean way and it worked !
    Will have a search see if I can find their details