Opinions on Laney VC50 amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I think it had 2 x EL34s for its 50w rating...the VC15/30 ran on EL84s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    it takes either 6L6 or El34, i think

and yes - that's what i meant - H/H invaders do it no favours
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    edited November 2014
    Yup,it can take either and has a switch on the back to set the bias for each.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    i put my old rola-celestion g12-80's in there...'twas nice 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    stonevibe;399584" said:
    Yup,it can take either and has a switch on the back to set the bias for each.
    Interesting. Didn't know that. Makes the vc50 even more flexible then. My pref is for el84s but I suspect the 6L6's possibly gives a more Fendery feel?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman;399597" said:
    [quote="stonevibe;399584"]Yup,it can take either and has a switch on the back to set the bias for each.
    Interesting. Didn't know that. Makes the vc50 even more flexible then. My pref is for el84s but I suspect the 6L6's possibly gives a more Fendery feel?[/quote]

When I compared two of these with different valves (one el34, one 6l6) it reinforced that the power section isn't the primary component of the tone.

It was different, but it didn't make a Marshally amp sound American/fendery. It just made it sound a bit different, I preferred the el34s.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I think if there's ever going to be any significant change in tone from different power section valves its really only gonna show if you can crank the amp to drive those valves hard enough to make 'em scream a bit. Yrs back I put in some THD Yellow Jackets in my DSL50 head thus changing 50w 2xEL34s into 20w 2xEL84s...at the volumes I was playing at in the band of the time...I couldn't say I noticed any difference really....so I eventually soldid 'um.
    edited November 2014
    Sorry I was confusing myself as I thought the vc50 had EL84s as in my Vc30 but of course it has EL34s so hence the 6L6 capability. It is quite a different animal to my vc30 but still a very nice sounding amp. IMHO I think Laneys offer some of the best value and nicest sounding amps out there in the mass market and are very under rated. I love my vc30 and cub 12r.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited November 2014
    So anyone got a spare footswitch for one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    Footswitch has gone on mine too. Seems to be a common problem. Apparently you can buy one new but it's around £60
    I think I just need a switch for the reverb as the other three work okay and my meter reads it as permanently engaged, whereas it doesn't do anything.

So could be a hooky switch.

Its a bit burnt where a soldering iron has been on it for too long, so could well be the culprit.
    Any recommendations for a speaker upgrade?

At some point this could also be on the cards. As the amp cost me very little and it already has new valves my next upgrade would be the speakers.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Despite what a lot of people say the HH speakers aren't that bad. My favourite to use with any laney is the t75, they're very balanced with laney amps.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited November 2014
    My favourites would be the WGS Retro 30's. Like the Celestion V30's but less spikey and cold. Similar but warmer, one of the best speakers I'he ever heard/bought.
    I was originally thinking Celestions myself.

The original speakers are so well worn in though that it'll be a shame to remove them just yet. Will need to play it in anger first I think.

Found a few places online in the US that make switches for these and have emailed Laney about a replacement, as some online sources reckon the current FS4 will work on this amp as well.
    edited November 2014
    timmysoft said:
    Despite what a lot of people say the HH speakers aren't that bad. My favourite to use with any laney is the t75, they're very balanced with laney amps.

The old HH Invader used in the VC30s etc were dreadful - the reputation of these speakers was well deserved (even places like Watford Valves openly describe them as poor:  http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1463) and sucked the tone out of these great amps. And Laney knew it - which is why they switched to Celestion seventy eighties (12's) and Jensen (10"). 

Interestingly, Laney has now gone back to HH speakers but the new ones being used are completely different and are actually pretty good.  

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Voxman said:
    timmysoft said:

The old HH Invader used in the VC30s etc were dreadful - the reputation of these speakers was well deserved (even places like Watford Valves openly describe them as poor:  http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1463) and sucked the tone out of these great amps. And Laney knew it - which is why they switched to Celestion seventy eighties (12's) and Jensen (10"). 

Interestingly, Laney has now gone back to HH speakers but the new ones being used are completely different and are actually pretty good.  

I think the 70/80 is a worse speaker than anything HH ever put out. I never struggled to get great tones from my vc50 with stock speakers, I certainly couldn't give a shit about what Watford valves say, all I've ever heard from that place was dogshit!
    I'd agree on Watford Valves, they will tell you anything to get you to buy 'upgrades'.

I was just wondering if there were better speakers for reasonable money as nearly 20 years have passed since they put these in to the Laney amps. 
  • I've heard the higher power celestion ones are good, not just the v30 - I've heard the g12m creamback is a good one.
    Speakers are a very personal and emotive subject. I'm not a great fan of the 70/80 either (I have one in my Laney GS112VE cab) but its a decent general purpose speaker at a reasonable price. I have been meaning to change it but as its 'Ok' its not been a priority.