New Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 793
    GuyBoden said:
    Joe Strummer went to a private boarding schooling, his Dad was a Diplomat.
    I too went to boys private boarding school - paid for by my parents ... my opinion on the matter wasn't asked for ... I doubt Joe's was.
    As a kid ... you do what your parents tell you is best for you. 

My education broadened my mind to the point where as  soon as I could be I was a card carrying member of the Communist party and playin in a punk band ... and a member Anti Nazi League. I spent a while homeless and lived in the odd squat ... 

My views have mellowed a little over the years ... I'm no longer to the left of Lenin ... but I don't use the word Tory without the suffix 'scum' :-)

So tell me why you think what your parents jobs or where you go to school dictates your social conscience?

To her credit, at least Rose Dugdale admitted to using a fake French accent.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1620
    CaseOfAce said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    Depends how you look at it. 20,000 US $ is roughly ...15 grand... right?
    Take a look at Henry Rollins' vinyl collection...which must be approaching that?
    As a punk rock icon he doesn't seem to have an issue with consumerism?
    John Lydon lives in Malibu... etc..
    Theres Something Hard in There A Henry Rollins experience long before
    Wowza - go Henry !!

Er, there is a massive divide between having a passion/interest, and consuming tons of expensive shit to show off. I hardly think Henry is the latter.
    so anybody buying an expensive guitar is just ... "showing off"... and doesn't have a passion for / interest in the instrument?

Not at all; I have no issue with a $20k guitar - hopefully an instrument of that value would sound amazing, and look and feel gorgeous - truly fab. And would hope that anyone paying such a sum is because they are indeed very passionate about it.

But I don't quite agree with the suggestion that a Punk Icon such as Henry Rollins is the model of consumerism due to his passion for vinyl. Aside from his obvious interest, music is his "work" after all.

And to note, it is pretty hard not to be consumerist in modern life. We mostly all live in a heavily market led existence.

Although we cannot see it (aside from the Beatles box) I would also suggest that Henry's record collection is more like £100k plus - possibly way more. 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7226
    tFB Trader

Not at all; I have no issue with a $20k guitar - hopefully an instrument of that value would sound amazing, and look and feel gorgeous - truly fab. And would hope that anyone paying such a sum is because they are indeed very passionate about it.
    I don't think anyone buys these to play, it's more of a speculative investment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 861
    Does it come with stickers?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Yeah, but for $20k they stick them on for you before you buy it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3403
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah, but for $20k they stick them on for you before you buy it.
    They get one of the relic guys to pick at the edges a bit too.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    Bloody hell.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144
    'This high-performance cable is a perfect choice for the aspiring punk rocker, street poet, or roving troubadour.'

If you say so...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    I'd buy this over a 'normal' Fender cable, assuming the pricing's the same:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19795
    'This high-performance cable is a perfect choice for the aspiring punk rocker, street poet, or roving troubadour.'

If you say so...
    OK, so now Joe Strummer was a tone guru that designed his own cables? FFS...

=D>
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 310

The whole point of a Tele is that it is the ford transit van of guitars.  It does its job, it's hard to break, it's easy to repair, and if you write it off, you won't care much.

A twenty grand tele is a fundamentally stupid idea. 

Actually a two grand tele is also a stupid idea. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1144

If you say so...
    OK, so now Joe Strummer was a tone guru that designed his own cables? FFS...

=D>
    And signed them, individually.  
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    It seems that when a rebellious rock artist makes it they are supposed to give it all and stroll round in clothes made from recycled Hessian sacks and shut their mouths? Incredible way of thinking and one that will change absolutely none of the world's many injustices.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    I'd buy this over a 'normal' Fender cable, assuming the pricing's the same:

Love that, and will be getting when I get chance. 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2227
    edited June 27
    [Edit - late to the party, didn't see it had been linked above]

Case available separately. 

Don't need one.
    Will buy one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468

The whole point of a Tele is that it is the ford transit van of guitars.  It does its job, it's hard to break, it's easy to repair, and if you write it off, you won't care much.

A twenty grand tele is a fundamentally stupid idea. 

Actually a two grand tele is also a stupid idea. 
    Theoretically I'd agree. But that went out the window when I played an 8 grand Masterbuilt a couple of years ago in a shop. The thing played like the proverbial butter and I've never heard an instrument so "alive" and resonant .
    Silly money and yet...no.. don't even think about it.

But my workhorse at home and with a band is a modded JVM '50s Fender Jap re-issue.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • KevSKevS Frets: 552
    I'll just leave this here...I was going to make a joke,but checked first......  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fender-sid-vicious-tribute-precision-458529310
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 744
    Or, or - you could buy a decent Mex Tele, put some stickers on it then bury it in the garden for 6 months. Job done.