Man! I miss Rik and Ade.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6231
Honestly, it put a lump in my throat watching them live again.
Just brilliant..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7708
    I used to have Hooligans Island on VHS.
    I caught part of it again on tv while channel hopping and it still made me laugh my socks off 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    Fully recommend Ade Edmonson’s autobiography.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Just re-watched all the Live ones on Catch Up again (The 1st one being the funniest). Totally hilarious, as was the TV series. There's a recent Documentary on there too with Ade reminiscing about their friendship. It's both funny and moving.

I don't think they did anything that was average. Some people aren't too bothered about Filthy Rich and Catflap, but I thought it was immense.

Mr Jolly from Comic Strip has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen. 
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited May 21
    I went to see him at the Lowry last September and got a free copy. To be honest, as much as I like him, his honesty about how Rik was in later life and how l their relationship deteriorated was something I felt I didn’t really need to know. I wanted the joy of the humour to remain ‘unmolested’ if that makes sense?

I gave mine to a charity shop without having read it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    the extended ad libs still crack me up to this day.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2447
    I went to see him at the Lowry last September and got a free copy. To be honest, as much as I like him, his honesty about how Rik was in later life and how l their relationship deteriorated was something I felt I didn’t really need to know. I wanted the joy of the humour to remain ‘unmolested’ if that makes sense?

I gave mine to a charity shop without having read it.
    I've heard snippets of Ade's biography and what you've mentioned about Rik and their relationship. I've avoided it for the same reasons – The Young OnesBottom, and whatever Rik did is a bubble that should never be burst. Similarly, I felt the same about Matthew Perry's autobiography. It was such a revealing read that, to some extent, it ruined how I saw him on Friends. I donated that to a charity shop, too.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    listen to Ade's Desert Island discs, it's lovely, but be ready to have a few tears
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Fully recommend Ade Edmondson’s autobiography.
    I went to see him at the Lowry last September and got a free copy. To be honest, as much as I like him, his honesty about how Rik was in later life and how l their relationship deteriorated was something I felt I didn’t really need to know.
    beed84 said:
    I've heard snippets of Ade's biography and what you've mentioned about Rik and their relationship. I've avoided it for the same reasons – The Young OnesBottom, and whatever Rik did is a bubble that should never be burst. 
    I side with Edmondson. Every time he is interviewed or makes a personal appearance, people want to ask him about Rik. It must be like being Ernie Wise after Eric Morecambe had died. Simultaneously annoying and sad. The grief process never gets to close.

listen to Ade's Desert Island discs, it's lovely but be ready to have a few tears
    This.

As we approach the tenth anniversary Mayall's death, Edmondson could have decades of having to deal with the public.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    The pair were undoubtedly the finest physical comedians of their time.

Bottom still gets me laughing after many years and many viewings.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    scrumhalf said:

I remember the ferris wheel, camping in the park and Halloween. I don't think I'd be able to forget them if I wanted to. I really liked Kevin Turvey and the kids show where he read stories in a walking chair. Good memories watching those with family and ironically, in a time where more made sense.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2275
    I vaguely remember a sketch in the Reagan years where the dangerous brothers did something dangerous, so Rick became president of the United States cos that's really dangerous.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6231
    Schnozz said:
    scrumhalf said:

I remember the ferris wheel, camping in the park and Halloween. I don't think I'd be able to forget them if I wanted to. I really liked Kevin Turvey and the kids show where he read stories in a walking chair. Good memories watching those with family and ironically, in a time where more made sense.
    Rik's Kevin Turvey was bloody genius! 

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2420
    Rik Mayall's narrative style autobiography - The Rik Mayall. Bigger than Hitler. Better than Christ is a good read. You have to read it in a Rik, Kevin Turvey, Flasheart voice in your head for it to work.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6231
    Adey said:
    Rik Mayall's narrative style autobiography - The Rik Mayall. Bigger than Hitler. Better than Christ is a good read. You have to read it in a Rik, Kevin Turvey, Flasheart voice in your head for it to work.
    Thank you so much for your recommendation of his autobiography @adey. A life story that starts with

“Fucking hell, look at the size of his cock!” said the mid-wife who delivered me. “It looks like he’s got three legs. Perhaps he should be called The Tripod.” This is true. She really said this. But I was called Richard instead and the rest is history." 

Is the stuff of legends!
    Of course I immediately bought his book.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    equalsql said:
    Schnozz said:
    scrumhalf said:

Rik's Kevin Turvey was bloody genius! 

Kevin Turvey was a brilliant creation.  “You know those things that people have in their front doors? You know the things, they’re like a little metal tube that goes through the door? And they have little bits of glass at each end, like a teeny tiny telescope, only it make things look wider not closer? And they can help you see who’s outside without having to open your door? Like a spy hole…. but you don’t need to be a spy to use one of course. I wish I could remember what they’re called. But you know the sort of thing I mean? 

Well I haven’t got one of those. So I opened the door.”
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 483
    ‘Gold, Frankenstein and Grrrr… and you’re all wearing crowns… and I’m a virgin!’  Genius 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    scrumhalf said:

Absolute heroes of mine. There's a massive choice (basically anything they did), but I feel you can't beat the 'Bambi' episode of the Young Ones. Just the lines now coming to mind making me smile as I type this, picturing them in the laundrette.

"Hey, I know a joke about that as well. Listen! Pay attention to me! I've told you a million times do not exaggerate!"

Just imagining their relationship crumbling makes me sad. I've not read Ade's autobiography yet and I'm kinda reticent.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    randella said:

I feel you can't beat the 'Bambi' episode of the Young Ones. Just the lines now coming to mind making me smile as I type this, picturing them in the laundrette.

Bambi was an utter, utter classic on every front - including Motorhead's AOS.  The cast list read like a Who's Who of the alternative comedy scene of the '80s.

"Achtung" indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Offset said:
    randella said:

I feel you can't beat the 'Bambi' episode of the Young Ones. Just the lines now coming to mind making me smile as I type this, picturing them in the laundrette.

Bambi was an utter, utter classic on every front - including Motorhead's AOS.  The cast list read like a Who's Who of the alternative comedy scene of the '80s.

"Achtung" indeed!
    Aye, right enough. Off the top of my head:

- Alexei Sayle
    - Ben Elton
    - Griff Rhys Jones
    - Mel Smith
    - Emma Thompson
    - Stephen Fry
    - Hugh Laurie

Plus Motorhead, I mean - you don't get that lot on for an average comedy.