Man! I miss Rik and Ade.

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    RIP Rik. Bad News is probably my favourite of theirs. There's not a band practice where it doesn't get referenced in some way. Incredibly Ade wrote the first one between the first and second series of the Young Ones. Mr Jolly is another favourite.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2447
    The best delivery of the word “sandwiches” you’ll ever see:

https://youtu.be/ngGxdkEas1M?si=R-om9qKnyVylMvFg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    RIP Rik. Bad News is probably my favourite of theirs. There's not a band practice where it doesn't get referenced in some way. Incredibly Ade wrote the first one between the first and second series of the Young Ones. Mr Jolly is another favourite.

I didn’t like Bad News.

Spinal Tap did it first, and did it much better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    edited May 22
    I first saw Rik back in the days of 20th Century Coyote. Hell, that was a loooong time ago.

Bottom - the gas meter reader and the sound effects as they beat him with fists and frying pans. That can still make me cry with laughter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    TheMarlin said:

I didn’t like Bad News.

OK. They were made concurrently and imo they're both indispensable.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    TheMarlin said:
    I didn’t like Bad News.

They might have been in production concurrently, but Bad News Tour was on TV a year before Spinal Tap was released.  Apples and oranges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    There was a program recently where Ade was telling stories of how they got started, behind the scenes of Bottom, their friendship etc. Quite sad to see him get upset about Rik not being around any more, it clearly affected him deeply. 

I was/am a huge fan of them two, Bottom is one of my favourite programs and always gets me laughing
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4297
    Schnozz said:
    scrumhalf said:
    The pair were undoubtedly the finest physical comedians of their time.

Bottom still gets me laughing after many years and many viewings.
    I remember the ferris wheel, camping in the park and Halloween. I don't think I'd be able to forget them if I wanted to. I really liked Kevin Turvey and the kids show where he read stories in a walking chair. Good memories watching those with family and ironically, in a time where more made sense.
    Was that Eddie Monsoon ? 
    I can remember the first thing I saw Rik Mayall in, although I had to Google the details.  It was a fairly serious drama in which he played a young actor who has an affair with an older woman, his landlady I think.

I was quite surprised to see him appearing in comedy shows shortly after (although it looks like he'd already made a Kevin Turvey series, which I didn't see, before this was on).

Northern Lights (TV Movie 1982) - IMDb

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6231
    Philly_Q said:
    I can remember the first thing I saw Rik Mayall in, although I had to Google the details.  It was a fairly serious drama in which he played a young actor who has an affair with an older woman, his landlady I think.

I was quite surprised to see him appearing in comedy shows shortly after (although it looks like he'd already made a Kevin Turvey series, which I didn't see, before this was on).

Great find. I remember that and looked for it a few years back but at the time it wasn't on any of his listed work.
    Another early appearanc was as one of the regulars in the Slaughtered Lamb pub in American Werewolf In London.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I didn’t like Bad News.

They might have been in production concurrently, but Bad News Tour was on TV a year before Spinal Tap was released.  Apples and oranges.
    Technically Spinal Tap came first as they first appeared on a sketch show 'The TV Show' in '79.
    But yes, Bad News Tour came out before This is Spinal Tap.
    edited May 22
    DiscoStu said:
    Technically Spinal Tap came first as they first appeared on a sketch show 'The TV Show' in '79.
    That I did not know.  Not something we could've seen in the UK, presumably.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    DiscoStu said:
    Philly_Q said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I didn’t like Bad News.

But yes, Bad News Tour came out before This is Spinal Tap.
    Yes. Bad News was first. But Spinal Tap is better. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    ^^ They're both great so let's not split hairs.  BN was doubtless shot on a budget the width of a Rizla.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7708
    Prompted by this thread I started listening to Adrian Edmondson’s autobiog on Audible today (narrated by him) - that’s my next 12 hours of driving sorted 
    Red ones are better. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1400
    Promoted by this thread I am off to listen to desert island discs…. Back in an hour
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    equalsql said:
    Philly_Q said:

Great find. I remember that and looked for it a few years back but at the time it wasn't on any of his listed work.
    Another early appearance was as one of the regulars in the Slaughtered Lamb pub in American Werewolf In London.
    Good point, and I must have seen that before I saw Northern Lights.  But I guess at that time RM was just a bit-part actor who'd have meant nothing to me, and I didn't remember him.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1400
    That was not what I expected
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3087
    Big fan of both here also.

Bambi is probably the finest half an hour of television I've ever seen.

My issue is not so much Ade's 'truth-telling' about Rik, more about how dismissive he is of The Young Ones.   Having read the first part of Ade's autobiography, he had a very, very tough upbringing.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    rsvmark said:
    Promoted by this thread I am off to listen to desert island discs…. Back in an hour
    you'll tear up