WhizzBangs

What's Hot
There's been a lot of WhizzBangs this evening, which Roobi hasn't liked very much (they can be heard but not seen as the curtains were closed) ... but everything has calmed down now and she's snoozing on my bed.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27857
    One dog hates them.

The other two dogs take no notice.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    One dog hates them.

The other two dogs take no notice.
    Exactly the same for us - big dog is terrified, two chihuahuas couldn't give a damn (and often actually get excited).
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    You're lucky .. it stated at 18:00 and it's currently 23:17 and it's like Beirut round here .. I thought you couldn't let fireworks off after 23:00 .. last year a neighbour started his party at midnight .. 40 minutes of fireworks.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My rabbits don't give a shit. But they don't about anything really.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    One cat was pretty scared, the other couldn't give a toss.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Yes, it's that time of year again, when the easily amused go outside and point at fireworks.

Seen one firework, you've seen the lot.
  • It's the most pointless celebration ever...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    You're lucky .. it stated at 18:00 and it's currently 23:17 and it's like Beirut round here .. I thought you couldn't let fireworks off after 23:00 .. last year a neighbour started his party at midnight .. 40 minutes of fireworks.

I think there's an extension for Guy Fawkes' Night(week), but the whole law is basically unenforceable. I don't doubt the police have got bigger fish to fry.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Neither cat really gives a crap about them. They both stay in at night anyway, ones asleep on a wardrobe, the other's asleep on the landing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    one cat was outside when it started (who had intended keeping them in during the banging period but she went out early) and despite several trips out looking for her there was no sign. She's normally pretty cool about things, but had a real panic attack last year, so we were worried she may have ran off and just kept running. Plus it was tipping down last night and blowing a gale. So a sleepless night ensued, until she turned up about 3 in the morning.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    When I were a lad, the only night for fireworks was November 5th. And the old bill took a very dim view if they got reports of any being let off at any other time. The perpetrator was likely to get a visitation.

These days, it's expanded into what appears to be a two week period, and, whilst I don't have any pets, the poor things have to endure a much longer period of being scared shitless.

Trouble is, as has already been said, the law is unenforceable. Mind you, have you seen the price of fireworks? I'd rather invest in something else than literally watch my hard-earned go up in smoke,

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    we're lucky here, biggish display on the village playing field on one night and that's it. Some silly bint had some for her 50th birthday, at midnight last summer, most of the village let her know what they thought of letting off fireworks at that time of night.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Is her head still on display on the village green?

The rest of her body is chopped up in Vim's freezer

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What pisses me off is that they all celebrate guy fawkes and when it comes to fireworks EVERYONE thinks they are entitled to a private display at whatever hour.  Then the next day, they wake up, think about how Europe is great and all vote Tory.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock

About 15 years ago we had some arseferret who 2-3 times a week, over about 4 months, was letting off fireworks. The Police couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything about it.

He got a visitation* and it stopped.

*I'm not sure who visited, but it worked.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16914
    Don't forget it was Diwali a couple of weeks ago and Eid al-Adha a bit before that.   That's a whole month of fireworks!!
  • When I were a lad, the only night for fireworks was November 5th. And the old bill took a very dim view if they got reports of any being let off at any other time. The perpetrator was likely to get a visitation.

These days, it's expanded into what appears to be a two week period, and, whilst I don't have any pets, the poor things have to endure a much longer period of being scared shitless.

Trouble is, as has already been said, the law is unenforceable. Mind you, have you seen the price of fireworks? I'd rather invest in something else than literally watch my hard-earned go up in smoke,
    I can think of more enjoyable ways for my hard-earned to go Up In Smoke ;)

Where I used to live 2 moves ago, it started early October. The little varmints (and bigger ones too) were letting them off in the street and each others gardens, it got progressively worse until the w/e before 5/11 where it plateaued at well-nigh-fekkin-intolerable through that w/e, the whole week, and the w/e after, following which there was a gradual decrease until Diwali, when all the foreigners started. After they'd finished, it was Christmas, then the new year, so from early Oct 2nd week Jan the poor cat was cared out of his furry little wits.

Here, so far the only whizzbangs have been last night and they stopped at around 2130. I could expect more on 5/11 and maybe next w/e too but this place seems so much more civilised.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2442
    As well as the tradition being pointless, the fireworks making an absolute racket and scaring the shit of our pets, you can guarantee someone somewhere will get injured either accidentally or by some thoughtless numptee.  It's all a bit unnecessary if you ask me.
  • I'm not sure the tradition is TOTALLY pointless. Aside from the usual gags about Guido Fawkes being the only bloke who went to Parliament with honest intentions, the tradition reinforces the rule of law, and helps us not to think that violence is an acceptable means to a political objective.