WhizzBangs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2442
    I get that, I just think it's pointless acknowledging it the way we do.  And how many people consider the above when they're looking at the pretty fireworks?  Ask people what Bonfire night is about and imagine quite a few people would say "um, it's something to do with Guy Fawkes and the Houses of Parliament."  Either that or "toffee apples and brandy snap."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's an education thing. They told us about 5/11 at school. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Miserable fuckers
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2442
    I get that too.  I just think it's pointless acknowledging it the way we do.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

It's a bit like Christmas, isn't it: We lost sight of what that means bloody years ago.

Now it just means stuffing yourself with food you don't need, or really want, getting pissed every night, opening presents you don't want, or need, putting up with family members who, ordinarily, you'd cross the street to avoid, and counting the financial cost well into the New Year.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    No pets but two excited kids....(our eldest Jimi was born on 5th November).

We live within site of Kenilworth castle, so we get this fantastic display each year...and we can stand on the drive and watch it for free ;-)

• some powerful explosives there, @not_the_dj they've already blown the roof off ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • /\ lol
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Phil_aka_Pip;400770" said:
    I'm not sure the tradition is TOTALLY pointless. Aside from the usual gags about Guido Fawkes being the only bloke who went to Parliament with honest intentions, the tradition reinforces the rule of law, and helps us not to think that violence is an acceptable means to a political objective.
    And it's ok to use violence on someone who thought they could use violence to reach a political objective.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2014
    underdog said:
    Phil_aka_Pip;400770" said:
    I'm not sure the tradition is TOTALLY pointless. Aside from the usual gags about Guido Fawkes being the only bloke who went to Parliament with honest intentions, the tradition reinforces the rule of law, and helps us not to think that violence is an acceptable means to a political objective.
    And it's ok to use violence on someone who thought they could use violence to reach a political objective.

it is apparently ok for the state to use "force". tbh, I think they went too far with G Fawkes and others like him, but (rightly or wrongly possibly both) that was the way they did things then. These days we (say we) don't use torture and we (say we) don't believe in punishment (because we're modern and enlightened) and we (say we) think that prison should be all about rehabilitation
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Big display in the nearby park tonight, the rabbits are fine, but I'm on edge and I know what it is!
    My V key is broken