Drag yourselves out and just do it!

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
in Guitar tFB Trader
When I started Oil City Pickups quite a few years ago now, I had just started playing with an established rockabilly band ... and had discovered  a form of music that had largely slipped under my radar. Unfortunately an all too short while after I joined, the two brothers who effectively ran the band announced they had a tour booked in Europe. I was faced with a stark choice, shelve my fledgeling pickup business and go back on the road ... or quit the band.  I reluctantly did the latter. 

Well, fast forward over ten years ... and the bug for live playing with other musicians has never left me (though I have had the biggest gap in my life without being in a band) ... and a couple of months ago I decided to put together a band again and just give in to the demons :-) 

Well I never expected it to be so hard to get my hands going again!  I'd not really played for sustained periods for years, and I'd pretty much lost my calluses. Sure I'd done the a few jam sessions  and dropped in with friends' bands for the odd number ... but the sheer intensity of the work required to sort out material, learn new and interesting standards, stretch myself into some of the more jazz/Setzer influenced solos has  meant I'm probably practising more (and in a more focused way) than I did even when I was a teenager. 

The long and short of all this is just to remind you all that it's NEVER too late to get the buzz of playing with other musicians or playing for an audience - my old friend and mentor Dave Kahn who gave lessons in the music shop I worked in as a teenager is well into his eighties and he still gets up there and gigs ... 

Get a jam buddy ... go to a friends house and share music, go to a jam night hell even get a drummer interested (difficult beasts to trap as they usually have more side hustles than a bent politician). 

Creating with other people for other people feels great 

Just a simple share :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 41reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    There is nothing which matches the experience of playing live with other musicians. Last week I watched a video by Rob Harris (Jamiroquai) who said that the band doesn’t often tour enough. So he wants to do pub gigs for beer money to give him that thrill.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    There is nothing which matches the experience of playing live with other musicians. Last week I watched a video by Rob Harris (Jamiroquai) who said that the band doesn’t often tour enough. So he wants to do pub gigs for beer money to give him that thrill.
    You really can't beat it  ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    edited May 25
    Kudos to you for jumping back on the gig wagon. 

For the very reason above is why I have setup and joined the Western and Eastern tFB jam sessions which is happening today!! Plug plug plug blush 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/261552/tfb-south-eastern-jam-session-at-powerhouse-studios-weybridge-on-sat-25th-may-2024-12-5pm

I'm also lucky to have a free space and be part of a office band that doesn't gig but we jam weekly which means we don't have the pressures of gigging but we have the mental health benefits of making beautiful noises together. I don't know if I would have the same passion for playing guitar if I cannot crank my amps and make noise with fellow music people. 

Keep on rockin'
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 304
    Totally agree on the fun of playing with others, either jamming or better still in a band. I’ve learned a lot more about being musical, improved my playing ability (a bit!), and met some great people in the process. I’ve also learned a lot from this forum too about playing live and equipment set-up in a band context.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    Good for you.  It really is a great feeling if you've got the bug to do it. Weirdly I think I appreciate it more since I got a bit older (46 now). I don't know whether it's because I really missed it during that couple of years where we couldn't go out or see anyone,  or just that I'm a bit more aware that it doesn't last forever now. 
    edited May 25 tFB Trader
    Good for you.  It really is a great feeling if you've got the bug to do it. Weirdly I think I appreciate it more since I got a bit older (46 now). I don't know whether it's because I really missed it during that couple of years where we couldn't go out or see anyone,  or just that I'm a bit more aware that it doesn't last forever now. 
    I'm 65 this year ... and I probably still leap about too much :-)

Neilybob said:
    Kudos to you for jumping back on the gig wagon. 

For the very reason above is why I have setup and joined the Western and Eastern tFB jam sessions which is happening today!! Plug plug plug blush 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/261552/tfb-south-eastern-jam-session-at-powerhouse-studios-weybridge-on-sat-25th-may-2024-12-5pm

I'm also lucky to have a free space and be part of a office band that doesn't gig but we jam weekly which means we don't have the pressures of gigging but we have the mental health benefits of making beautiful noises together. I don't know if I would have the same passion for playing guitar if I cannot crank my amps and make noise with fellow music people. 

Keep on rockin'
    Excellent stuff @Neilybob :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    It’s the best thing. Getting up with other people and making music. I’ve played for years doing occasional gigs but only really got going during covid. We converted a closed pub into a studio and used it to live stream local bands, duos etc. we formed a crew band out of that and have kept going. I’ve then joined an originals band too so it’s an average of a gig a month. 

Last Sunday was a studio recording session. A rare gig for my old London based band last night and both of my newer bands playing tonight for a local festival. Will be knackered but happy!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited May 25
    I must be in the minority that doesn't really enjoy gigging at all. I love playing with other musicians but couldn't give a shit about gigs. I guess my experience has been soured by the amount of crap pub gigs I've done over the years though. Even the "good" ones haven't been that fun to me.

Would happily just play and write/record music with no intention of "getting out there" and I'd love to find people with the same mindset but everyone I've played with has gigging as the be all end all. I especially love playing with a great drummer, they really make or break the experience for me. Great to crank the amp up and let rip for a bit, beats my usual headphones and backing tracks setup! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Top marks to you Ash - I should be doing something likewise as well
    tFB Trader
    CarpeDiem said:
    Totally agree on the fun of playing with others, either jamming or better still in a band. I’ve learned a lot more about being musical, improved my playing ability (a bit!), and met some great people in the process. I’ve also learned a lot from this forum too about playing live and equipment set-up in a band context.
    CarpeDiem said:
    It's also made me bond with my main guitar perhaps far more that I would have if I wasn't having to rely on it as I do at rehearsals ... I can't be fagged to carry a backup ... so it's just a set of spare strings and my Gretsch. 
    I'm also remembering how to get the best out of an unfamiliar rehearsal room amp -  and the subtle art of communicating ideas with a diverse bunch of musos ...    

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Bloody youngster.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Kudos @OilCityPickups.

I haven't been in a band for 40 years :-)

When I retire I plan to devote more time to playing again and getting back in to a bit of jamming.  My bass-playing school chum/ex-band mate retired a couple of year back.  He still has some decent gear but he's a lazy git so I'm going to put a toe up his arse for starters and take it from there!
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Bloody youngster.
    I know ... senile delinquent :-)  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Drag yourself out and just do it!
    The Julian and Sandy revival? Bona!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Offset said:
    When I retire I plan to devote more time to playing again and getting back in to a bit of jamming.  
    I'm retiring next year (touch wood) and I intend to play a bit more, but I've intended to do lots of things and failed to do them...  

I don't think there's any chance of me ever playing with a band or even jamming, buts it's good to hear you guys are getting out there and still doing it.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Fair play for getting back out there @OilCityPickups , I'm hoping to start meeting up for a new project soon. I actually can't wait as I miss it :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    edited May 25
    TTBZ said:
    I must be in the minority that doesn't really enjoy gigging at all. I love playing with other musicians but couldn't give a shit about gigs. I guess my experience has been soured by the amount of crap pub gigs I've done over the years though. Even the "good" ones haven't been that fun to me.

Would happily just play and write/record music with no intention of "getting out there" and I'd love to find people with the same mindset but everyone I've played with has gigging as the be all end all. I especially love playing with a great drummer, they really make it break the experience for me. Great to crank the amp up and let rip for a bit, beats my usual headphones and backing tracks setup! 
    Yea I have to say I'm not a fan of playing boring covers to pissed and coked up louts anymore either. Nothing makes me cringe more than hearing Mr Brightside, Sex on Fire, 500 miles and so on, where's the variety?

Rarely does a gig happen without some moron doing something stupid like walking into the band area and pulling my BE50 over, beer on the pedal board, trying to play the drums when the drummer has gone for a piss and so on.

I am more about the writing and recording/producing side of it now. I'll happily gig originals but it isn't my goal to gig as such, just create music with people who are easy to work with. Most people in music are time wasters and/or mental. 

For those that do enjoy it, great! And yea, if you want to do it you should. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    TTBZ said:

Would happily just play and write/record music with no intention of "getting out there" and I'd love to find people with the same mindset but everyone I've played with has gigging as the be all end all. I especially love playing with a great drummer, they really make it break the experience for me. Great to crank the amp up and let rip for a bit, beats my usual headphones and backing tracks setup! 
    Yea I have to say I'm not a fan of playing boring covers to pissed and coked up louts anymore either. Nothing makes me cringe more than hearing Mr Brightside, Sex on Fire, 500 miles and so on, where's the variety?

Rarely does a gig happen without some moron doing something stupid like walking into the band area and pulling my BE50 over, beer on the pedal board, trying to play the drums when the drummer has gone for a piss and so on.

I am more about the writing and recording/producing side of it now. I'll happily gig originals but it isn't my goal to gig as such, just create music with people who are easy to work with. Most people in music are time wasters and/or mental. 

Wise words!  ;)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    The band I was in imploded around Christmas time. I’m going to jams at the moment but miss the discipline and structure that being in a band enforces. Jamming is fun but lacks a certain something compared to being in a band.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:

For those that do enjoy it, great! And yea, if you want to do it you should. 
    This is exactly why  chose rockabilly/psychobilly/Americana to go out with. I absolutely would refuse to play Mr Brightside, Sex on Fire, 500 miles etc ... I've always been a fan of the way the Cramps took obscure covers and made them totally their own ... when your source material comes mostly from 1954-1961 you can ignore requests pretty easily ... done that one before. I also played in punk bands for years ... so - 'this is how we play it mate ... now f--k off' trips easily off the tongue ;-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom