Drag yourselves out and just do it!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I haven't played live since 2009. A whole load of personal nonsense took over my life. Thankfully that's well and truly a thing of the past. 
    Last year I put myself forward to join a pink floyd covers band. 

I've never been a big floyd fan. However I've been itching to play live again. I've been really enjoying it. Just playing music with others. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007

It's not us. We aren't in showbusiness, We're clumsy creators of musical art that most people will just ignore and we don't make it for them. 

Ah you do prog rock then ;-) 
    Ha ha! Have we met? :-) My last serious covers band (2009-2012) was a '70s prog covers band based in London, practised in Deptford. I've not done covers in a band since, although I do a regular local (as in we can walk to it) open mic as a two guitar, one voice duo with my neighbour and we do covers at those. 

My originals band is closer to Magazine and Killing Joke crossed with XTC and Can. Maybe…
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1162
    edited May 29
    I think it's fine to do whatever makes you happy with your guitar playing. Whether that's playing out with a band or, like me, enjoying it as time to myself to relax and get into that meditation type state. Playing covers or writing/making your own sounds. 

It's all good!

Great you're getting out and doing your thing though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I was in bands solidly from the age of about 15 until 36.(I'm 44 now)

Stopping it actually lead to having a bit of a personality crisis as my self image was almost entirety based around being "that guy in a band"

My wife observed that I was always less happy when I was in a band. I live in the sticks and more and more pubs and clubs with live music shut down. Until the only gigs left were weddings which blew out a whole weekend and didn't fit with having 3 kids.

It's been 8 years and I don't really miss it. I'd like to collaborate with other musicians again, but generally I've found people are either crap musicians, have massive egos, unbelievably flakey or, semi pro and focus on earning from music above anything else.

As a result I've been focussing on recording and writing, but I'd be very happy if the unicorn musician came along.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    … didn't fit with having 3 kids.
    It’s a phase of life. You grow through it. I had eleven years off whilst work and family consumed all my time and energy. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.