The Fretboard Guitar Songbook - phase 1

What's Hot

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2617
    Was going to mention this one for our jam this weekend, but seeing as i was only part time i didn't bother. Pretty straightforward and 2 decent/doable solos to boot!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7068
    edited May 26
    Let's Dance is a nice choice and works for cool people and SRV nuts
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Was going to mention this one for our jam this weekend, but seeing as i was only part time i didn't bother. Pretty straightforward and 2 decent/doable solos to boot!

Will add it. My 2 faves are Sometimes Salvation and No Speak No Slave but at that point maybe we should just have a Black Crowes meetup! 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2617
    edited May 26
    Also some Stones would be good. How about Bitch. Nice and easy and in standard tuning (I think).

Radar Love - Golden Earing
    Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith 
    Black Betty - Ram Jam
    War Pigs- Black Sabbath 
    RU Mine - Arctic Monkeys
    Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll - Killers
    What's The Frequency Kenneth - REM
    Someday - The Strokes
    Jailbird - Primal Sream 
    It's a long way to the top - ac/dc
    Get Back - The Beatles
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5038
    Just a thought from the perspective of the folks who aren't playing the guitar solos: if the backing is too mundane then it's not particularly fun.
    It can be a laugh having a couple of AC/DC and suchlike songs in there, but 3 hours of playing E-A-D (with an occasional G-C) is dullsville.
    OTOH, if the songs are too complicated then it may be hard finding the time to do adequate prep before the event.
    So there has to be a balance.

• TeleKinesisTeleKinesis Frets: 22
    If not too complicated, I think it would be good to have some songs that include other instrument sounds as an option e.g. piano, organ, mandolin etc.

That way there's a multitude of 'jobs' available (and also adds variety to the sound!). Personally, I'm a bit of a Swiss-Army knife / Jack of all trades, so if there's already lots of people on guitar, there's a way to join in somewhere else.

I noticed there was a stage piano at Power House the other day. I suppose people might also have pedals that can do the above.

The Doors / Led Zep catalogs might have some ideas :smile: 
    edited May 27
    Hopefully all that will wash out in the voting and whittling down and I will be arguing for the songs I like along similar lines. Will put up videos of each song once we are in the 'competition' in case people aren't familiar with something. 

I'm just back from the gym and listened to a new playlist and will be adding some more suggestions along with what's already been added.

Will update the OP. 

Will just say though - this is going to end up like 10-15 songs to be a 'if in doubt we can play one of these' foundation tracks as opposed to specific requests to do particular songs at meetups and so it might be a place for the latter to want to do something with piano and mandolin!

Right, we have 97 songs as of right now so will maybe let people add to it for a few days and do a playoff before the main world cup where we have like 5 songs by the same artist. 

OP updated

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    Deep Purple's Highway Star is fun to play.
    edited May 27
    Nice. Will add that for tomorrow's update. 

Thinking also maybe something from the Meters and possibly something by Freddie King as there's no straight blues on the list yet. Surprised by no Allman suggestions yet too. 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2230
    edited May 27
    soma1975 said:

...Thinking also maybe something from the Meters and possibly something by Freddie King as there's no straight blues on the list yet. Surprised by no Allman suggestions yet too. 
    I've played The Stumble (instrumental) in the past, although it was more like the Peter Green version.

Speaking of instrumentals, Chitlins Con Carne by Kenny Burrell is a nice jazzy blues. It's just a 12 bar in C, where the one chord is a C7#9. And the 'head' is just a simple blues melody. 

Stormy Monday (The Allman Brothers) is a blues jam favourite and has some nice chords. 

It's not a competition.
    edited May 27
    As for blues instrumentals I did Stepping Out on the first one I attended. Will add the above suggestions. 

Re Freddie King was thinking more Have You Ever Loved a Woman or I'm Tore Down or even his version of Key to the Highway than Hideaway/Stumble but might put them all in and see what gets weeded out. 

Any more for any more?

Added Communication Breakdown because I listened to a great cover of it just now and it's basically a fun rocking 12-bar. 

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    Samantha Fish - Lay It Down is a fun bluesy one to play.
    Cool never heard of it will add it to the list and stick a video of it up once we hit the group stages :)

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 880
    That’s an amazing song list. 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    I'll leave it until Saturday in case anyone wants to add anything else and then will come up with a way of chopping it down to 100 ahead of the first group stage...

• TeleKinesisTeleKinesis Frets: 22
    soma1975 said:

Will just say though - this is going to end up like 10-15 songs to be a 'if in doubt we can play one of these' foundation tracks as opposed to specific requests to do particular songs at meetups and so it might be a place for the latter to want to do something with piano and mandolin!

Ok, makes sense! Will keep those for specific jam requests.

Songbook suggestions for the vote:

Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man
    Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Weezer - Say It Ain't So
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4834
    soma1975 said:
    Is that a roundabout way of nominating Katy Perry -Roar for the songbook? 
    Actually, Zombie and Wicked Game from that list might be worth a look.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Nice one will add them all