The Fretboard Guitar Songbook - phase 1

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5078
    If not too complicated, I think it would be good to have some songs that include other instrument sounds as an option e.g. piano, organ, mandolin etc.

That way there's a multitude of 'jobs' available (and also adds variety to the sound!). Personally, I'm a bit of a Swiss-Army knife / Jack of all trades, so if there's already lots of people on guitar, there's a way to join in somewhere else.

I noticed there was a stage piano at Power House the other day. I suppose people might also have pedals that can do the above.

The Doors / Led Zep catalogs might have some ideas :smile: 

Well, I had my synth pedal which did a good Moog Taurus, but then again I have a Minitaur and Toro with MIDI bass pedals.
    I've also got some other synth pedals which do various sounds rather well and I've been meaning to work out some songs (I keep playing"Lazy" on one).
    If we're talking synths, I've got a Model D and a couple of other things I can play really badly too.
    Led Zep wise, there's good stuff on Physical Graffiti: I was just playing Kashmir on my Danelectro, but "The Rover", "Ten Years Gone", and "The Wanton Song" are good 'uns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7122
    I loved the bass synth stuff you were doing at the jam. Could play along with that all day. 

This songbook thingy is meant to be a small set of staples we know, basically for when we won't know what else to play we can fall back on some of those. I will put up tab, lessons and backings of the final selection. 

It's not meant to replace the regular songs people choose to do and learn in advance so hopefully we will still have harder and more interesting stuff being brought to the table for each event. 

Happy to put those 3 Zep songs on this list but to be honest I can't see any of them getting past the first stage as they aren't super well known except to Zep fans and they might be better for suggesting on a per event basis. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 564
    Hello,

Just try and ensure that whatever makes the list its likely to find a singer. As one of the handful of singers at the Western Jams I'll have a go at as much as I can but if its out of my range there's not much you can do about it. I would say this also applies to the drums to some extent.  No point having a room full of Jimmy Pages if Robert Plant doesn't show up.  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Updated the OP with the playoff songs and instructions. 

Here's my 15 I'd like to save from the list I put up ahead of the WC

1. The Beatles – Helter Skelter
    2. Freddie King – Have You Ever Loved a Woman
    3. Kenny Burrell – Chitlins Con Carne
    4. Led Zeppelin – Heartbreaker
    5. Living Colour – Love Rears Up Its Ugly Head
    6. Ocean Colour Scene – The Riverboat Song
    7. Paul Weller – Changing Man
    8. Primal Scream - Jailbird
    9. Queen – Keep Yourself Alive
    10. Queens of the Stone Age – Make it Wit Chu
    11. Queens of the Stone Age – Little Sister
    12. Weezer – Buddy Holly
    13. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    14. Neil Young – Cinnamon Girl
    15. Stone Temple Pilots – Plush

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    To be honest not really getting much in the way of engagement on putting this thing together and if it is just one or two people voting then it's not really a forum songbook so not really sure I can be fucked to go through setting it all up if nobody else is fussed about it. 

Will give it a couple of days to see if the forum actually finds merit in this, otherwise I might just leave up the list of 100 tunes and leave it at that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleKinesisTeleKinesis Frets: 22
    edited June 3
    Hey, I think there's merit in this, I think it should be given a chance smile 

Personally I've had a busy weekend, and I wanted to listen to the songs I don't know before voting. 
     Have got 10 I know and am keen on, but the others I haven't heard in a while, or not at all.

Edit: @soma1975 ;My votes

1. Led Zeppelin – Heartbreaker
    2. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps
    3. Ocean Colour Scene – The Riverboat Song
    4. Paul Weller – Changing Man
    5. Therapy - Die Laughing
    6. Weezer – Buddy Holly
    7. Neil Young – Cinnamon Girl
    8. The Velvet Underground - Waiting For My Man
    9. Stone Temple Pilots – Plush
    10. Golden Earring - Radar Love
    11. Freddie King – The Stumble
    12. The Cars - Just What I Needed
    13. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    14. Metallica - Lux Aeterna
    15. Rush - Spirit of Radio
    Nice one. But starting to wonder if when it's chopped down to 100 if people are going to be naffed with either 10 groups of 10 or 5 groups of 20 songs to vote on to get to a knockout phase. 

edited June 4
    Right scratch this plan for playoffs it is needlessly complicated. I have put every song into groups (some groups have extra songs) and will make a new thread in the main guitar section to commence week 1/Group 1 from today.

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 512
    I’ve been meaning to get involved in this for a while, what’ve I missed?

On a loosely related note, if required and there’s too many guitarists at the next jam (if I manage to make it) I can deputise as a moderate bassist and absolutely terrible slide or mandolin player…
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 512
    @soma1975 Cheers
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info