Downside of Parlour Guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    Fishboy7 said:
    What is the actual definition of a Parlour guitar anyway?  I always thought this was just the really really small bodied guitars but I hear some people the term for things like a Martin 00 or Gibson L00 size.  
    00 is a Concert? Single 0 is a Parlour?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    Well my conclusion is that they don’t all sound boxy. 

Absolutely. They don't at all. Like you say, so many variables. There are some amazing parlours out there. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Fishboy7 said:
    What is the actual definition of a Parlour guitar anyway?  I always thought this was just the really really small bodied guitars but I hear some people the term for things like a Martin 00 or Gibson L00 size.  
    All based on approximations to some historic size, I suppose?

I compared my GS Mini to the Gretsch Gin Rickey parlour, and the GS mini is marginally bigger, but hardly noticeable if they are not side-by-side. Something about the balance and the way it projects is far superior to the Gretsch. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1554
    PRS SE Tonare player here. Displaced my dreadnought in ten minutes. Sold the dreadnought. Have not missed it in more than a year. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    drofluf said:
    Well my conclusion is that they don’t all sound boxy. A quick A-B test I did yesterday. Same manufacturer, same woods, same (crap) player (me) and same recording set up. So as many variables eliminated as possible. One OM, one parlour; which is first?

mic'd up is a different question.

I'm talking about playing an instrument, and listening to yourself playing, unamplified
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3888
    drofluf said:
    Well my conclusion is that they don’t all sound boxy. A quick A-B test I did yesterday. Same manufacturer, same woods, same (crap) player (me) and same recording set up. So as many variables eliminated as possible. One OM, one parlour; which is first?

mic'd up is a different question.

I'm talking about playing an instrument, and listening to yourself playing, unamplified
    Well it’s sounds as good when I’m listening to myself but you’ll have to take my word for it. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3888
    BillDL said:
    @drofluf  I would guess that the OM is the first and the Parlour the second.
    Spot on!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    I think the GS Mini has some clever features which explains why it doesn’t sound boxy at all. Firstly, Taylor did a lot of research into downscaling body shapes before deciding that the Grand Symphony shape worked best when shrunk down. Secondly, the arched back aids projection compared to a flatter back. Thirdly, the “relief rout” on the inside perimeter of the top allows the top to flex more than a normal top would. Finally, the short scale allows the strings to feel like 12s but with the fuller sound of 13s.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Worth remembering if trying in a store that its strings may well be old and tired and warrent a change .Same applies to any guitar
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    rossi said:
    Worth remembering if trying in a store that its strings may well be old and tired and warrent a change .Same applies to any guitar
    I think this is one reason why Taylor were early adopters of Elixir strings. Walk into a guitar shop and pick a Martin off the wall… sounds a bit dull and lifeless. Try a Gibson… same thing. What about this Taylor? Ooh, bright and zingy, I like it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    I tried 8 or 9 parlour sized guitars about 3 years ago, from £300 to about £900 as an 18 th birthday present for my daughter,
    I was completely the opposite of blown away. Nothing gave me any interest or excitement or enjoyment at all.  Then it was suggested I looked at the GS Mini and at last I was blown awa6 with sound, volume, enjoyment.  I was playing it again at the weekend (daughter is back from University) and couldn’t put it down!

I have offered to swap it with her for my Taylor 114, we shall see what she says .

I do have my eyes on the Dowina parlour which seems to get good reviews however 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited June 8
    I moved from a little Martin (nice but felt like cardboard) to a GS Mini (not bad) to a Larrivee P-03 (stellar). Then you get the luthier built ones £££. Tried a SC Firefly once but tbh wasn't impressed. 
    In the case of the Larrivee I prefer their NON-SCALLOPED bracing - so less bass but they typically make their bodies a bit larger than normal to compensate... the result is a far more complex and balanced sound than I get from other brands. Other Canadian luthiers using this bracing get similar results and I'm a big fan. Anyway, the bass on the P-03 isn't mega but deary me, the thing sounds like heaven - coupled with 24" scale length it's a joy to play - MusicRadar gave it 5/5 and Heartbreaker Guitars have a nice video of the P-05. It's like my little pal. In fact here's the video (below). I know many like rosewood for smaller bodies to give more bass but mahogany feels alive and thrums/resonates better for these imo. The lower bridge placement on these types of guitars makes a massive difference, too.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 250
    Lovely sounding guitar, but it's a serious amount of wonga.
     :)

True though not next level like Huss & Dalton, luthier builds etc :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    A friend had a couple of Huss & Daltons.

Meh. No idea what the fuss is about.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    A friend had a couple of Huss & Daltons.

Meh. No idea what the fuss is about.
    Interesting to hear - I've never actually tried one! :)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5635
    I can't comment on the Larrivee, but I have played a Huss & Dalton. Lovely thing, a jumbo in the classic Sitka Spruce and Sugar Maple combination. In fact, I decided to buy it but went cold on the idea before I could find the shop assistant to say so. went home to think it over. Eventually I bought something else a few weeks later .... can I remember what? The Guild CO2 I think. The H&D was a much better all-round guitar, but $5000 second-hand, where the Guild was $1500. 

Would I rate the H&D above other similar-price guitars like my Maton WA May, the Furch Red, the Cole Clark Angel 3 or my new Brook? No. But certainly comfortably matched in that company. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    goldtop said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    All based on approximations to some historic size, I suppose?

I compared my GS Mini to the Gretsch Gin Rickey parlour, and the GS mini is marginally bigger, but hardly noticeable if they are not side-by-side. Something about the balance and the way it projects is far superior to the Gretsch. 
    The Gretsch is a £200ish guitar, iirc, whereas GS Minis start at a couple of hundred pounds more. They should sound better, just based on the gap in price.  I own a Jim Dandy, which I believe is a Gin Rickey minus pickup and would never suggest that it sounds particularly good - it's a cheap guitar. I was surprised that the GS Mini that a colleague had in work didn't sound particularly good when I tried it, but then it desperately needed new strings and a clean. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 880
    edited June 17
    The downside, as some have said, is 'boxiness.' However, if you choose well, parlours can be a delight. I had a nice Washburn around fifteen years ago.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 880
    edited June 17